1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Help: Windows will not boot

Discussion in 'NGC-1' started by DavidEll, Dec 27, 2016.

1. DavidEll

DavidEll New Member

Hi

I'm not very PC savvy so can you please remember that if helping me?

I unpacked the NGC-1 and was very impressed with the build, it really feels like a quality unit.

I attached it to my 4k TV via the HDMI cable and all was good. As normal when first starting Windows there were a few updates which started to download however after the device completed these updates it restarted but did not boot Windows, instead it went to a black screen which looks like a RUN screen, I've taken picture of the issue.

The device was running VERY slowly before this happened taking over 8 hours to update Windows. All the other items on my network work fine and at a speedy pace (for Australia).

Can anyone help?

MINIX NGC-1.jpg
  2. Jonathan Park

Jonathan Park New Member

This happened to my brand new NGC1 the other day as well. Luckily I received a prompt reply from minix to my support email and on Xmas at that! Here's what support instructed me to do and it's been workin great ever since:

You should be able to fix the issue by changing the bootloader order in the BIOS settings.

To enter the BIOS settings you need to repeatedly press F11 after powering on the MINIX NGC-1.

Once in the BIOS settings you need to find the bootloader options and change the order so Windows bootmanager is at the top.

This issue has occurred because it appears you have an older MINIX NGC-1 with an old BIOS version installed.

Therefore, I strongly recommend updating to our later BIOS version, which is available on the MINIX forum.

Download link and instructions can be found here: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/ngc-1-v1-3-bios-update.13217/
  3. amdaley

amdaley Member

Typing exit from the shell screen will get the NGC-1 to boot into windows.
    As Jonathan has said above pressing F11 when powering up will get you to the BIOS settings..
    I would also suggesting updating the SSd drive firmware which you can download from the link Jonathan provided above.
    Kuma2010 likes this.
  4. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Please update to the latest BIOS and SSD firmware, this problem is fixed.

Thanks.
  5. DavidEll

DavidEll New Member

Thanks for your help! I applied the changes and all is working great. Now time to set it up as a Kodi HTPC!
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  6. MINIX - Ken

Have you updated BIOS to V1.3 & SSD firmware to V2.9?
    That should be the best combination for now.
  7. DavidEll

DavidEll New Member

Is that the same BIOS and SSD updates you linked to in the earlier post? If so then yes, everything is updated.
  8. MINIX - Ken

Yup~:)