1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

FAQ How to enter recovery mode?

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Guides & FAQs' started by MINIX - Ken, Feb 1, 2016.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

It's very easy to go into the recovery mode of NEO U1.

1.) U1 is at OFF state with a power adapter attached.
    2.) U1 is attached to a display.
    3.) Press and hold the power button for 6 seconds to go into recovery mode.
    4.) Done.

This is a mode that you need when wiping data / cache partition,
    and to update the box via USB .zip package method.

Regards,
    Team MINIX.
    kondemor likes this.
  2. alexkata21

alexkata21 New Member

I relly hope next firmware update should include an alternative way to enter recovery mode on the power menu so it could be more convenience for every minix users.
    Elvis likes this.
  3. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

How is holding the power button for 6 seconds not convenient? o_O
    nerofox likes this.
  4. Elvis

Elvis Member

I have 005 firmware and holding the power button for 6 second when turned off on with the remote does not get me to recovery screen. Any idea?
  5. Villa

You have to press the U1's Power button!
  6. Elvis

Elvis Member

I have tried several several times with power button on the U1? Still no love.
  7. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

Unplug power-cord,wait some sec., replug power-cord, press power button at U1 for at minimum 6 sec.
  8. Elvis

Elvis Member

Thanks for the reply but still no luck getting into recovery.
  9. alexkata21

alexkata21 New Member

That is why i hope their next update should have an easy way to enter recovery mode like by placing a recovery option along with sleep,restart, power off in the power menu app because i know it can be difficult for some users and i off course. However, i did successfully enter recovery mode for few tries by holding the power button for 6sec on the minix box over and over. Just saying it would be best or convenient to add an alternative option to the power menu app. I have try to root my U1 and download the recovery (require root) app, but I won't be able to do an OTA update in the minix setting. So i have to reset to factory setting to get rid of root and hope for a future update that will include what i mention above. I believe when you hit the restart option while simultaneously hold the power button on the minix box for 6sec (not on the remote) and let go off the power button eventually a few second the android buddy will disappear and you'll be in the recovery mode. I hope it help.
  10. Villa

What you are really asking is, "Is it possible to add an alternative method to enter recovery?"
    Switching on the device, then selecting "Recovery" from a Menu is not an easier method!
    If the device won't boot for some reason then this method is not possible!

When you press and hold the Power button I would advise you hold it for a little longer than 6 seconds.
    What should be said is, "Press and hold the Power button for at least 6 seconds." I hold it for around 8 seconds, and it never fails!
  11. alexkata21

alexkata21 New Member

Yes, i want an alternative method to enter recovery mode. Meanning there should be both way to enter recovery mode one way is by adding a recovery option in the power menu app and another way is keeping the old method by holding the power button for 6secs or longer to enter recovery mode. That's why i hope they should consider an option like that in the future update. So at least we can have an option to choose which I believe should be convenient for some users and i. I have seen some tv box that included an alternative method like i described above and it is very simple to enter recovery mode by choosing recovery in the power option app or by holding the remote for power menu to appear and hit recovery along with the other option like sleep,power off, and restart. I am not trying to prove anything, i just hope there's another easy way to choose when enter recovery. Okay enough said.
  12. Elvis

Elvis Member

My box will still not go into recovery mode.

When I received my minix u1 about 10 days ago it was on firmware 002. I did the ota update 3 times to bring me to 005. Have tried to go into recovery to many times that I care to admit. Can any one tell me what I did wrong and how I can fix this?

BTW The box seems to be running properly and it is on 005 firmware that I verified in the settings.
  13. newbie99

I can't answer what you do wrong because I don't know what you do.....
    But the way at post #1 is the way to access the recovery (maybe wait a littel bit longer then 6 sec. and I would also detach and attach the power before pressing and hold the power button for at minimum 6 sec.)
  14. Elvis

Elvis Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried 6,8,12 and 20 seconds with no luck. Have also tried unplugging then trying.

I wouldn't think that having my U1 hook up to my avr would not interfere but maybe?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  15. Villa

Does anyone know what the pin hole does on the underside of the device?
  16. Elvis

Elvis Member

I tried hooking the U1 directly to the display with no luck.
  17. Elvis

Elvis Member

Quick press on remote puts in sleep mode with green light immediately

Long press with remote brings me to power management with Sleep, Restart, and power off options

Sleep blue light turns dim green after 1 min.
    Restart constant blue light and restarts as expected
    power off no lights after about 10 sec. and does a full reboot when powered on

Power off button on U1 turns off with immediately dim green light and is in sleep mode.

I post this as I read that it is usual for a red light to come on I think when powered off with the power management is this correct?
  18. Villa

I have seen reports of the LED becoming red for some unknown reason. I have yet to witness this myself!
    What the red light would indicate? I have no idea!
  19. newbie99

Or do they change the hw (the led)?

EDIT:
    ok, meanwhile I found out there also exists LED with 3 colours (not only two as I thought)...
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  20. Elvis

Elvis Member

Thanks again newbie and villa,

What should I do next, is their a special forum for defects? Customer service phone no. Should I return the box? I probably only have a few more days where I can return it for a refund so time is running out for me.