1. Official MINIX forum

FAQ How to enter recovery mode?

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Guides & FAQs' started by MINIX - Ken, Feb 1, 2016.

1. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

hmmm, good question, next question please...

It depends on the costs for delivery you will have at RMA or return for a refund... but I think you should do one of it/them, because I have no idea what you can do to get access to the recovery (if you will do a RMA or give it back, you could try a factory reset via the settings to see if you are able to enter the recovery after you have done it)...

At RMA they will replace/fix the unit, at refund you can buy a new one or maybe the X8...
  2. Elvis

Elvis Member

Ok that is what I suspected. Will I need to back up my minix xbmc 15.3 before I do a factory reset via the settings? I have content and settings I do not want to loose. Can I copy the user data folder to a Msd card using es file explorer or is there an easier way?
  3. Elvis

Elvis Member

Also is there any back door way to get in to recovery?. I would think Minix must have an alternative method they could pm me with.
  4. newbie99

I don't think there exist a back door which you can use without getting problems with the warranty

=> http://kodi.wiki/view/Backup
  5. Elvis

Elvis Member

When you say Factory Reset via the settings is that the data reset? If yes I did a data reset and still no recovery.
    Newbie I appreciate all your help but are you sure a minix tech can not find a solution to maybe update my U1 to incorporate a recovery mode?
  6. newbie99

7. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

8. newbie99

9. Elvis

Elvis Member

@newbie Good to know as mine has never turned red or have had blinking issues.

@Higgs It states in the http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-u1-full-system-image-reflashing-guide.10046/ thread that you need to reboot into recovery before the package is installed. How do I boot into recovery when it will not boot into recovery now?

I would give it a shot but this is my only box I have, as I gave my 2 boxes away to family members when I received my U1 and I use the U1 daily.

My questions is will this box go into recovery mode when I need it to and if not is there away to make this work before I ship it back. I bought it at Amazon Feb. 1? I think I have 30 days to return it for a full refund.

Adding: The U1 is working flawlessly other than the recovery mode issue.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  10. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

You should check if you get the Connect Success message using the USB Burning Tool. Just because you cannot see it boot into recovery mode on a display does not mean that the usb burning tool won't be able to connect to it.
    You won't know until you try.
  11. Elvis

Elvis Member

If I try to connect to recovery mode with the usb burning tool and it does not connect will it back out and give me back my O/S?
    If not and there is no way to give me my O/S back I would prefer to order a new box and ship the old box back when I get the new box. Please advise.
  12. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

as no one seems to be having the same issue as you then it is unlikely anyone can guarantee what will happen ...i would hazard a guess though at nothing untoward, i have on a number of occasions not had usb connect success ( due to my own fault) and simply powered off and on again with no losses.
  13. Elvis

Elvis Member

Hi Fred thanks for chiming in.

Ya I noticed there was nobody else with my specific problem so I assume it was just a glitch when doing a firmware upgrade. I am looking for a very high probability that I will get my O/S back.

Also maybe there might be another way it could be put in recovery or a way to put an earlier firmware and then update again.

I await on advise from the Minix Tech team.
  14. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Nothing untoward should happen! If you get "Connect Success" message then you know recovery is working.
    Not until you load the firmware image and flash the device will you mess up, or NOT, the OS.
    Hopefully correct the OS and the Power button Recovery issue! :)
  15. newbie99

I also think the only thing which could happen is that the USBBurningTool doesn't recognize the U1 because of the problem with the long press of the power...

If the USBBurningTool recognize the U1 I think no need to worry and you can burn the image onto the U1... (but I worry, the tool will also not recognize the U1 because something is wrong with the function to enter the recovery at looooong press the power :( we will see)
  16. Villa

I asked this earlier in the thread...
    Does anyone know? Maybe the alternative method to enter recovery? The same process as other MINIX devices?!
    Anyone? @MINIX - Ken @MINIX - John
  17. newbie99

At best case only someone from MINIX can answer this question :) (I don't want to put anything into this hole... who knows what will happen ;) )
  18. Villa

Go on, I dare you! ;):p
  19. Elvis

Elvis Member

Ok guys I am going in !!!!
  20. Elvis

Elvis Member

Did the full reinstall but the Android green guy just keep flashing when holding in power button even after the reinstall.
    I guess it goes back in less some one has any ideas?

Big Thanks to all that helped.