1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

How to flash firmware image (X6, X8 series)

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by HardwareGuru, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Look at the label on the underside of the device.
  2. zeusau

zeusau New Member

it says it is a X8-H nothing about plus so i should change the firmware?
  3. Villa

4. zeusau

zeusau New Member

all done and wifi working thanks
    Villa likes this.
  5. gundug

gundug New Member

Probably a very stupid question, am I correct in assuming that the USB flash tool is a separate download from the firmware package.
    If so can someone point me in the right direction to download the firmware.
  6. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

The Full system image download files all contain the appropriate usb burning tool to use. If you tell us what device you have we could point you to the right firmware.
    Or just look in the forum under your device section.
    gundug likes this.
  7. Villa

@gundug you need to check the Build number of your device. This will determine how best to update it!
  8. gundug

gundug New Member

Thanks Villa, need to wait as the missus is watching a movie just now
  9. Villa

Pause!
  10. gundug

gundug New Member

Thanks Higgs, looks like I may be able to update via OTA as I have the X8-H Plus hopefully lol, much appreciated
  11. Villa

12. Xplod

Xplod New Member

Never did a Firmware update before on my Minix X8-H.
    Flashed it without any problems from stock firmware to this 009 -one.
    Thx.
    Villa likes this.
  13. gio1970

gio1970 New Member

hi, can anyone point to where I can unbrick (if possible) my Minix X8-H Plus?
    it was my worst purchase, it never worked stable, old Android which did not allowed me to update to Kodi16 and now with no reason balck screen and when i try to flash it via the USB Burning tool I've the (in)famous error:
    [0x30402004]UBOOT/Partition boot/Initialize partition/Error result at 6% no matter what I do...
    It's very disappointing such lack of support and help on an expensive product like this one.
    I've 3 other Andoid box all purchased in China (for all the 3 of them I spent less than for what I spent for this crappy Minix) and none of them gave such bad results as Minix did...
  14. Villa

That's very odd as you said this nearly 18 months ago?! o_O
    Kodi 16 is just fine on the X8-H Plus!
  15. gio1970

gio1970 New Member

that was right after I puchased the device... well how can I install KODI 16 as from Google Play it always told me it was incompatible with my device?? AFAIK KODI 16 does not run on Android 4.x and X8h+ is still stuck with that old Android...
    Anyhow, the situation is that my device stopped worked without any root cause and I am not able to recover it anymore, thanks a lot for pointlessly resuming a post I did almost 2 years ago!
  16. Villa

In all this time there has been ample support with firmware updates that you could update OTA!
    It is Kodi 17 that is not compatible with Android 4!

I'm sorry to see that you have come up against this (in)famous error.
    I have been there with the X8-H on behalf of another member!
    I thought this issue was specific to the X8 series prior to the X8-H Plus.
    I have asked the question multiple times as to the possible cause and how this issue can be fixed, but it appears to have gone on deaf ears!
  17. gio1970

gio1970 New Member

I did not say I never updated, I did but still I had not a stable device and it seems you did not get the point...
    1) even if unit was unstable I updated every time a new update was available
    2) recently I tried to install Kodi from Google play and I got the message "not compatible with your device"
    3) MOST IMPORTANT: 2 days ago my X8-h Plus refused to boot (black screen) and no way I can make it back, as even the USB Flash from PC fails with message above

If you think after less than 2 years I shoudl be happy to have wasted +150€ for this device which seems to be bricked without any special reason and no way to restore then you are really wrong!
    Correct me if I'm wrong but due to the "partition error" I've got I can only trash it, am I right?
  18. Villa

Please re-read my post as I was adding to it while you were posting!
  19. gio1970

gio1970 New Member

Oh, yes read it... so it seems I need to look for a new player :(
    Again this is sad and disappointing when you spent 3x or 4x times more money on a device compare to a market standard trusting the brand to have better quality/support and you end up with a nice and expensive brick with noone listening to you (well apparently I'm not alone but this does not help, even worst, as this is a known issue I woudl have expected some ownership by Minix but as you said "deaf ears" is the only feedback I can only confirm MINIX is no more a good brand at least for me.
  20. Villa

Sorry, but I can only empathise with you! :(
    Have you tried this?
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/just-saved-a-board-by-shorting-the-tp13-tp15-pins.5588/