1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

FAQ How to turn off popups

Discussion in 'NEO X5 Guides & FAQs' started by LuigiFromOttawa, Jan 19, 2016.

1. LuigiFromOttawa

LuigiFromOttawa New Member

Hello all, I am sorry to interrupt your technical discussions with a really trivial one.
    I am a 'basic' user of Minix Neo X5, I have it connected to my TV and I only use it to watch from the Web.
    I am not literate in Android, although I know Linux and Windows.
    I don't play computer games.
    But here is my problem. Minix has frequent popups asking me if I want to play this or that game.
    Sometimes this is the first thing I am asked, immediately after I turn it on.
    Then sometimes after I say NO, the stream I was watching is interrupted, I have to start it over.
    This is very annoying for me, but I don't know how to turn off these popups.
    I see a lot of options, but none that says specifically: turn off popups.
    Thank you for your help!
    Luigi
  2. LuigiFromOttawa

I am really surprised by what happened to my query.
    41 people read it, not a word of suggestion ...
    I don't think it was a difficult question either.
    Suppose you go on the street, asking for help for a problem.
    41 people look at you and then they leave ...
    I suppose I can take my Minix to an Android expert.
    Is this what I should do? Thanks.

Here is the query again:
    Hello all, I am sorry to interrupt your technical discussions with a really trivial one.
    I am a 'basic' user of Minix Neo X5, I have it connected to my TV and I only use it to watch from the Web.
    I am not literate in Android, although I know Linux and Windows.
    I don't play computer games.
    But here is my problem. Minix has frequent popups asking me if I want to play this or that game.
    Sometimes this is the first thing I am asked, immediately after I turn it on.
    Then sometimes after I say NO, the stream I was watching is interrupted, I have to start it over.
    This is very annoying for me, but I don't know how to turn off these popups.
    I see a lot of options, but none that says specifically: turn off popups.
    Thank you for your help!
    Luigi
  3. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

There is no need to get annoyed or repeat your query again (It's still there above your second post). With the amount of posts on the forum not every one can get answered straight away and I assume that from the 41 views you got, no-one knew the answer.
    How many posts have you looked at in the forum and how many have you replied to?

A simple 'up' post would have sufficed to get your post noticed again.

Having said that I'm confused by your query;
    From this - "Sometimes this is the first thing I am asked, immediately after I turn it on.". I'm thinking first it must be a virus if you are getting pop-ups without even opening any application.
    Then you say - "Then sometimes after I say NO, the stream I was watching is interrupted"

So are the popups happening while no app is open or when you watching something?

If you have pop-ups when no app is even open then you should do a factory reset as you may have some form of malware (possibly from an infected app you installed)
    If the pop-ups happen within an app then its likely advertising pop-ups within that app (or web-page) which is quite common in free apps. In that case you could use something like Adaway (your box will need to be rooted for this).
  4. LuigiFromOttawa

Thank you very much Higgs from your reply.
    Yes, I am getting popups *both* when I watch something and when I watch nothing.
    So it's probably a virus and ... I am not sure how to get a factory reset but you gave me an idea.
    There is pinhole button that I have pushed a few times, I'll try again.
    I'll try to locate an Android expert.
    I apologize for my clumsiness. When I look at the query template I see no obvious way to do an UP.
    It's probably some hidden menu.
    In any case, I got your reply and it is most helpful.
    Thanks again
    L.
  5. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

May I (Popup :p) add that a Factory reset may not work! I had a similar issue on a device and the only way to fix the issue was to perform a Full System image reflash!
  6. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Just post "Up" in another post. You don't need to vent or rant in order to get your post noticed.
  7. LuigiFromOttawa

Thank you for your Help, Higgs.
    I did a factory reset and the popups have disappeared.
    So it was indeed a virus.