1. Official MINIX forum

How to: Update to newest firmware for MINIX X7 mini / X7 / X5 Mini / X5

Discussion in 'General Rockchip ( x5mini/x5/x7/x7mini )' started by m6242, Apr 6, 2015.

1. m6242

m6242 Active Member

Many posts here with problems or questions on how to update, so here is a little tutorial.

This is for all users having firmware less then 2.1.0, without FOTA capability. e.g fw 006 , 008 or 010.
    And users who may be having problems with FOTA updates with firmware 2.1.0 and above, who would like to reflash their device.

OTA: People that run the current Community edition firmware (2.1.0+) will recieve an OTA update online.
    You don't have to flash this firmware!

1. What you need

- Download the latest firmware :
    X7: http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x7-official-firmware-releases.28/
    X7 Mini: http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x7-mini-official-firmware-releases.31/
    X5: http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x5-official-firmware-releases.34/
    X5 Mini: http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x5-mini-official-firmware-releases.38/

- You need the special cable which came with your device. Take a look here: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x7-kitkat-230-23-march-2015.4972/page-10#post-45761
    - a paper pin

2. How to upgrade:

Look a this video and follow each step:

To connect the X5 Mini and X7 Mini use the procedure shown in the following video;

Hint: for Win 8.1 users you have to install the Minix Driver manually.
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/rockchip-drivers-for-windows-8-1-need-help.2130/#post-31421

Hint: For Win 10 users :

For the ones using Windows 10, to get the drivers working for the full image load using Rockchip tools , create a file in notepad let's call it "fix.reg" (extension "reg" is important, the name does not matter) and copy these lines in it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\220700000222]
    "SkipBOSDescriptorQuery"=hex:01,00,00,00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\220700060222]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\220700100222]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\2207292C0100]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\2207300A0100]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\2207300B0100]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\2207310B0100]

Save it, double click on it, and accept all warnings. Now the Drivers will work. It should work for 8.1 also (did not try it).

3. Make sure to reboot once after the Upgrade!

Hope this help

greetings
    M6242
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
    bilek539, 53peterp, Wally5496 and 3 others like this.
  2. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Worth a sticky :) .. You might want to add x5 and x5mini too.
  3. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Windows 8.1
    Am I correct in that there is not a problem with the Windows 8.1 Drivers, but infact it is the RKFlashTool config.ini file that is at fault?!

Users can download the downgrade toolset which contains an already edited config.ini
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=Rockchip-Downgrade_tools.rar

I don't have Windows 8.1 so I'm afraid I can not test any of this.

Special Cable
    If you have the cable supplied with your device, use it! (y)

The cable supplied with a device is not actually that special! (It has a slightly longer than normal Micro USB connector). Any other "DATA cable" can be used, Micro USB (long or short connector) to USB A
    Personally, I have never had a problem with a shorter connector.
    One has to understand that a CHARGING cable (which will most likely look identical to a DATA cable) will not work!

The simplest option though, if you have the cable supplied with your device, use it! (y)
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    MaxeL likes this.
  4. m6242

m6242 Active Member

I'm on Win 8.1, but solved the driver problem with the way described above. So if anybody can test it like Villa sayed, it would be perfect.
    I downloaded the file and there is a Folder RK_DriverAssistant .There open DriverInstall.exe

After that open RKFlashTool_win8 and open RKBatchTool--1.7.exe.
    HardwareGuru and Villa like this.
  5. johnny.redrocket

johnny.redrocket New Member

Just watched the video and it don't have anything to do with programing a X5 mini.
  6. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

First post updated with video for connecting X5 Mini and X7 Mini
  7. Villa

First post edited to read...

This is for all users having firmware less then 2.1.0, without FOTA capability. e.g fw 006 , 008 or 010.
    And users who may be having problems with FOTA updates with firmware 2.1.0 and above, who would like to reflash their device.
  8. ppeterr

ppeterr New Member

just a note

on windows 10 - the RK driver couldnt be installed, not manually or with the installer.
    ofcourse i am not sure if this is a problem with my install.

It worked good on my windows 7 pc
  9. nlmvdma

nlmvdma New Member

Can't connect my X5 to W7, W8 or W10 anymore. Don't know why, but maybe my OTG connector is malfunctioning. Is there any way of flashing the latest CE ROM on X5 (without OTG and OTA) like CWM?
  10. nlmvdma

nlmvdma New Member

Apparently OTG was not malfunctioning .
    Solution was to open my X5 and connect via normal (short) usb cable. Flashed and ready to go!

[​IMG]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I8160 met Tapatalk
  11. Mtfcanada

Mtfcanada New Member

what i am wondering us why the videos on this page are scrambled, i am using the web through my minix box right now. I am using chrom to view them and they seems out of sync or scramled. also i am connecting the minix box via the cable but i have tried a couple of times and keeps getting failing errors. i just want to root my minix box, i have 4.4.2 running but the rom was unrooted for some reason
  12. Villa

Use the stock browser and the videos will play.

I don't know what the problem is with Chrome?!
  13. salford6

salford6 New Member

Tested not working for me but thanks
  14. Jerrykist

Jerrykist New Member

Flashtool link please!
  15. Villa

It is included with the firmware download!
    Jerrykist likes this.
  16. tojoso

tojoso New Member

Hello all an pleas forgive me. I'm sure this ha been asked a million times but I can't find the answer in this forum.
    To upgrade my Kodi 14.2 to the 15.x stable version, do I have to connect my Neo X5 Mini to my computer?
    Long story short.... my 14.2 version is slow, buffering, and taking forever to load movies when I'm on Fiber Op an I can't think of any other solution. I've cleared the cache in both system and settings which didn't help.
  17. Villa

You do not need to connect to a PC.
    How did you install Kodi in the first place?
    If it was from the Play Store then check there for an update.
  18. tojoso

tojoso New Member

Thank you for the reply. I bought my Minix preloaded and am on the steep learning curve when dealing with it.
  19. m6242

m6242 Active Member

Then you can install Kodi from Google playstore directly.
  20. alistair20

alistair20 New Member

Hi, I have the Minix Neo x7 mini, and there is no slot for the micro USB but only USB slots. In addition my box did not have the connector cable, but only the usb extension. How can I connect my device with my laptop please?
    p.s Sorry if it's a newbie question, but I'm not very familiar with developing android :)

Thanks