1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

howto install disk image of 32gig ssd to new M.2 SSD (256gig)?

Discussion in 'NEO N42C-4' started by tbink, Jun 7, 2018.

1. tbink

tbink New Member

I've read that it's possible to make a disk image of the fully updated Win10 C drive (April update) and use that to create a new C: drive on my new M.2 SSD (256gig). Once that is done I disable the original 32gig SSD in the bios and boot up from M.2 ….

What is the procedure in a 1,2,3..?

From other experience my thought is this... will it work?\
    **make a disk image of C: on a USB drive (a network location)
    1- download Win10Pro April update and install to a USB stick
    2- boot from the on MINIX and install #1 to M.2 SSD
    3- shutdown
    4- boot to minix bios and disable the original 32gig SSD
    5- boot from the M.2 SSD to the newly installed Win10Pro April update
    6- restore the original disk image to M.2

am I even close to the right way to do it?
    really all I need to do is install Win10Pro April Update directly on the m.2 ssd … It'd be great not to have to mess around with all the personal setup dreck.. hence the desire to simply reinstall my original installation to the new SSD.

thanks in advance for your help
    tom

2. Wonko

Wonko New Member

Obtain your win 10 license key using a utility to do so (I forget what I used but it was a simple google), disable your emmc in bios, reboot from the downloaded win10 install image.

All the drivers will go in from microsoft, but it's worth doing a driver update on video and I think one other (I can't remember which I just went through device manager and told it to update each individually, I think there were only 2 that did)

They will probably update automatically, eventually, anyway, but if you're setting it up the extra few minutes it takes just remove any doubt ;)

However....you can just use macrium reflect to clone your emmc onto an m.2 drive, disable your emmc, resize the main partition (the C drive) to 90% of the remaining space using partition wizard or similar, and then let windows update do it's thing.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018