1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

I'm new to U1, Lollipop the ceiling?

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by SkEvol, Dec 16, 2016.

1. SkEvol

SkEvol New Member

I'm aware that u1 has been out a fair while now. I read that it comes with android 5.

Now. I'm not talking about custom FW as such but has there been any updates, official or otherwise to go beyond 5? Ie into marshmallow or even beyond..

Being the latest ever box from minix it would be great to learn that it supports later than 5..
  2. Sean369

Sean369 Member

Yes it's unlikely it will get Marshmallow.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
  3. Damien Xenos

Damien Xenos Member

Why do you want it? I'd take a stable lollipop rom over marshmallow any day. Do you need certain features I am unaware of?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
  4. SkEvol

SkEvol New Member

Damien, no is not so much that I can pinpoint a particular feature I *must * have, I'm coming at it more from the casual, more up to date is generally better angle. You know, just casually thinking.

Where I'm coming from, you know, I've been sat on lollipop on my galaxy w3 for an age now and I've seen other friends with newer mobes getting very nice and slick looking interfaces with more recent androids.

Other angle : this time last year I was eyeing up x8hplus and became g pretty familiar with it through watching YouTube vids etc, I eventually talked myself out of a purchase because I thought spending money on other things was more important at the time.

But now 1 year later I'm here again and I find that there haven't been many new Minix boxes since then... and that they rest on older Android versions and so.. you know, when u look at it like that... and you see in your peripheral, very modern and evolved design in marshmallow or even nougat and u consider that the Minix box prices haven't gone down much since 1 year ago, your expectations are just different this time round.

More devices on the market now than there were back then, and fairly competent alternatives and a slightly smaller price. You know... These kind of thoughts...
  5. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

You hit the nail on the head there, "newer mobes"
    Sadly that's how the mobile phone/tablet market works!
    MINIX may be releasing a new device soon with Marshmallow. Soon people will be asking is Android 7 coming to the device?
    kingsizept likes this.
  6. Damien Xenos

Damien Xenos Member

The Use Case for phones is very different to a MINIX box / Android TV.

On phones security patches and functionality increases when moving up the OS tree. And some apps don't support older OSes.

What I was trying to point out was that this does not apply to internet boxes so much. And upgrading an OS introduces bugs. I have a MINIX X7 and it's upgrade to Lollipop broke more things than it fixed for many months.

The MINIX UI is not likely to change with OS upgrades. Kodi will still work. YouTube well still work. Chrome will still work. You will have pass through working. I would take stable over a new OS on a MINIX box all day long.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    newbie99, kingsizept and Villa like this.
  7. Villa

I totally agree! :)
  8. SkEvol

SkEvol New Member

:-/ lol each entitled to his opinion.
    However, someone who uses an Internet box *might * use it in all the same ways apart from making phone calls! All things are possible. But anyway yeah I accept your point.
  9. Villa

...and maybe they use it for making phone calls too! ;)o_O
  10. Rick Wischer

Rick Wischer New Member

True but I can think of a few reasons why it might be beneficial to move to a new OS. 1) New apps come out that are only supported with Marshmallow or above. 2) Current apps go thru an extensive upgrade that add new features only available with Marshmallow or above.
    I see no reason I would want/need to move to Marshmallow at the present but you never know what lies in the future. I may be reading between the lines but I took the OP not so much as "I want to move to Marshmallow" but rather feeling out how much love the U1 will get from the support group that would enable it to be viable for as long as possible.

True that! I'm certainly not interested in bleeding edge. (y)
  11. Linda

Linda New Member

So I have the Neo U 1 also. Does this mean there won't be a Marshmallow 6 upgrade to this m