1. Official MINIX forum

Improving app compatibility campaign U1

Discussion in 'Official Firmwares' started by MINIX - Ken, Jan 21, 2016.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dear all,

We keep working to improve app compatibility of this device,
    100% is impossible but we want to make it as good as we can.

Please kindly list out the apps that can't work, with the following format:

1.) Name of the app.:
    2.) Region of the app.:
    3.) Link to Play Store:
    OR;
    3rd party download link if the app is listed as incompatible:
    4.) Problem description:
    5.) Login/password required for us to check?: Yes/No
    6.) VPN access possible?: Yes/No <-- Log is required if we can't access with VPN

Thanks!

This thread will be locked temporarily until FW005 is released officially.
  2. MINIX - Ken

Thread is re-opened, please report to us if you are using FW005 and without root.

Thanks!
  3. John Silva

John Silva New Member

4. MINIX - Ken

@robc

Do we need login/password to test the RTL XL app?
    I am following this case from FW004 bugtracker.
    KellyND1 likes this.
  5. StirlingSteve

StirlingSteve New Member

1.) Name of the app.: Demand 5
    2.) Region of the app.:United Kingdom
    3.) Link to Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobileiq.demand5&hl=en_GB
    4.) Problem description: Content won't play. Error PT-106000. See this link for info:
    5.) Login/password required for us to check?: No
    6.) VPN access possible? Yes

Issue was raised in the FW004 bugtracker thread but I didn't see the issue listed as fixed in FW005 change log.

Box is not rooted and is currently using FW004.
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  6. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

U1 FW005, WiFi, ethernet or ethernet/Fake WiFi - Demand 5 works just fine! :)
    It doesn't appear to work via ethernet or ethernet/fake WiFi. :(
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  7. Johno102

Johno102 Active Member

Well that's got me totally confused.

I believe fake WiFi is enabled (both WiFi and Ethernet showing on the front screen, settings > network showing connected by WiFi and my router showing a wired connection to the U1). But Demand 5 (version 2.4.0) works fine.

If I could figure out how to switch off fake WiFi then i'd try the app with an un-hidden Ethernet connection.
  8. Villa

Settings, Network, Ethernet
  9. Johno102

Johno102 Active Member

Well that's where it was when I enabled it, but it's not there now.
  10. Villa

If you have it enabled then in Settings it will be indicating that WiFi is connected and ethernet is not but top right of screen will indicate ethernet.
    You have to switch the Ethernet Switch OFF then back ON again, press back button, reselect Ethernet for the option to appear again.
  11. Johno102

Johno102 Active Member

OK, some progress.

If I turn the Ethernet Switch in Network > Ethernet to OFF the U1 then connects to WiFi. All OK.

Then if I switch the Ethernet Switch back to ON after a few seconds the Fake WiFi and IP Address, MAC address information appears. At that point the green Ethernet logo on the home screen is on.

If I then enable Fake Wifi, come back to the home screen and then go back into Network then WiFi is shown as connected and Ethernet not and in the Ethernet menu the fake WiFi option etc. have gone.

Back on the home screen the green Ethernet logo is on, but when I restart the box both Ethernet and WiFi logos are green.

After all that Demand 5 seems to work for me in all three configurations.
    Villa likes this.
  12. Johno102

Johno102 Active Member

Opps crosspost, seems I figured it out myself.:D
  13. Villa

For me Demand 5 still only works on Real WiFi ! :(

The only difference being, I am using a Smart DNS service!
    BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5 all work with Real WiFi but none work with ethernet or ethernet/Fake WiFi.
    It is strange though that on my X8-H Plus all these apps work with ethernet/Fake WiFi !

OK, all apps work with ethernet/Fake WiFi if I use a VPN.

EDIT: What a Wally! I had the U1 ethernet cable plugged into a switch which is connected before the Router! :whistle:
    Meaning the Smart DNS service was being missed! :rolleyes:

@MINIX - Ken All UK TV apps, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, working! :)
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  14. Johno102

Johno102 Active Member

BBC iPlayer - Can watch catch-up programmes and live TV over Ethernet. Downloads work over Fake WiFi.
    ITV Hub - Can watch catch-up programmes and live TV over Ethernet. No download facility to test
    All 4 - Can watch catch-up programmes over Ethernet. Downloads work over Fake WiFi.
    Demand 5 - As previously reported. Again no download facility to test

All connected to a Sky Hub, everything there set to default.
  15. StirlingSteve

StirlingSteve New Member

Right - OK I'm a bit lost here, am getting confused by this talk of switching things off and on and then off again - plus I'm not sure what Smart DNS is (except that clearly it's smarter than me!)

Humour me for a second... I have my U1 connected to this managed switch and from there into my Billion Bipac 7800N ADSL router. If I update to FW005, will Demand 5 start working if I enable fake WiFi or do I need to do something else to get it to play?

Ta in advance :)

EDIT: I might have just answered my own question. is Smart DNS a way of fooling these services that you're in the UK? I just noticed you're in Spain... If so, I assume going to FW005 and enabling fake WiFi is all I need to do. If so... Huzzah!
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  16. Villa

Demand 5 with FW005 works via WiFi, ethernet or ethernet/Fake WiFi ! :)
    You are in the UK so no need to worry about the Smarter things or Fake WiFi ! ;)

Sorry to have caused any confusion! (y)
    I'm confused why you hadn't already updated to 005! o_O
  17. MINIX - Ken

Thanks for telling us.:)
  18. rai

rai Member

1.) Name of the app.: Horizon TV
    2.) Region of the app.:Netherlands (but also for the rest of Europe)
    3.) Link to Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lgi.orionandroid
    4.) Problem description: App intself is OK, but if you select to play a station you get "Sorry, the video cannot be played at this time. (4101)
    5.) Login/password required for us to check?: Yes
    6.) VPN access possible? Yes

This program is running fine on my MINXI X8H-plus, my SONY Android TV (5.1.1), but on the U1 I get this error.
  19. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey New Member

20. funkyirishman

funkyirishman Member

1.) Name of the app.: Dolphin Browser
    2.) Region of the app.: Ireland
    3.) Link to Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser&hl=en
    OR;
    3rd party download link if the app is listed as incompatible: n/a
    4.) Problem description: App initially loads up but then keeps on crashing when trying to do a simple thing like Google Search. I am on the latest firmware
    5.) Login/password required for us to check?: No
    6.) VPN access possible?:No <-- Log is required if we can't access with VPN