1. Official MINIX forum -Forum was offline for maintainance during last weekend and is back online now.

Installing Windows 10 IoT (Internet of things) From USB

Discussion in 'NGC-1' started by stonstad, Dec 23, 2016.

1. stonstad

stonstad New Member

I have a USB stick that I use to install Windows 10 from. For other devices (Intel Compute Stick) it works fine. For some reason the NGC-1 loses its screen during the installation process. It appears to complete -- but on reboot I see faint flash of screen garbage and then nothing happens.

I would upgrade the BIOS but there isn't an OS installed. I just purchased this unit from Amazon.

Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks
  2. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

How is that possible?
    The device should come with Windows 10 installed!
  3. stonstad

stonstad New Member

It is possible because I decided to install a different operating system - Windows 10 IOT for Enterprise. Although the installation worked on other equipment it locked up on the NGC-1. Are we saying that there is no way to update BIOS outside of installing an operating system?
  4. Villa

Why bother updating the BIOS if you have no OS installed?
    How would it help?
  5. stonstad

stonstad New Member

The OS won't install from a USB stick. The screen locks up -- that feels like a hardware or BIOS issue since the OS install works fine on other equipment (i.e. Intel Compute Stick). The Windows 10 OS is created through Windows ICD for a vanilla installation.
  6. Villa

First I heard about IoT, but a quick search and it appears to be for such devices as Raspberry and Arduino!
  7. stonstad

stonstad New Member

Windows 10 IOT Enterprise LTSB is basically Windows 10 Enterprise (a step up from pro) for running x86 embedded applications. Like ATMs, digital signage, etc.

Raspberry PI, etc -- that is Windows IOT Core, not Windows IOT Enterprise.

We have several hundred Intel Compute Sticks in the field and we are evaluating MINIX NGC-1 as a hardware platform. Windows 10 IOT Enterprise is Windows 10 with certain apps removed and an ability for kiosk mode added.

Back to the question at hand -- how does one update the BIOS prior to installation of an OS?
  8. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator