1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

It is possible to install windows creator update

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by xixou, May 19, 2017.

1. xixou

xixou New Member

I use a NEO Z83-4 with latest bios 1.6.
    When I started the windows 10 assistant to update to the windows creator update,
    after a while I received an error code:
    0xc1900200

I've been googling it and found a resolution to it.
    The first reserved system partition is actually too small and prevents the win update.

The idea is to enlarge it to around 500 MB instead of 100 MB.

There is a free version of a partition tool to make the space:
    free MiniTool partition wizard: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Install and run the tool, then move the main big disk partition to the right by reducing its size of about 0.5 GB then move it to the right.
    Apply and reboot.
    After reboot and tool execution,
    There will be a free partition created in between and another small reserved partition(which was already present, named MSR Partition).
    You can delete that second small partition (MSR Partition) and you will be able to expand the most left partition (System Reserved partition) to the right till the big main partition (that will be around 500 MBytes then).
    apply and reboot and now windows creator update will install properly.
    computass and Joe Shuster like this.
  2. gadgetuk

gadgetuk New Member

Have you installed this and working fine?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
  3. xixou

xixou New Member

yes, snapshot below:

[​IMG]
    KDB and gadgetuk like this.
  4. gadgetuk

gadgetuk New Member

Ok will give this a try Wednesday when got day off to try it.

5. KDB

KDB New Member

Xixou, could you give some more instruction on resizing the "SYSTEM" FAT 32 partition please. I downloaded the program like you said and have been able to make an unallocated 501MB free space but it will not let me increase the volume size of my SYSTEM partition. I Have formatted the unallocated space to a FAT 32 and tried to merge and the program insists on having me convert both partitions to NTFS which I know is not the correct thing to do. Please advise how you to extend. Thank you.

Attached Files:

6. KDB

KDB New Member

Xixou, Never mind my last post. I read your post again a few times and went ahead and deleted that 16MB partition between system and windows partitions. I was able to resize the system partition and successfully install version 1703. A note to other people who may read this in the future; after the update completed windows left me with 4GB of free space and I don't have much installed on my C drive. I suggest uninstalling programs if you have less than 15GB of free space before upgrading to version 1703. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

7. xixou

xixou New Member

cool ^^
    Note that I tried the same resize on the older version of the NEO Z64, but that does not work,
    windows stick to anniversary edition.
  8. CptDobey

CptDobey Member

9. zurabi

zurabi New Member

-MAKING CLEAN INTSALL OF W10 CREATORS UPDATE-

You need to make bootable windows usb with NTFS format. Rufus app I suggest. Download MediaCreationTool from MS site and download ISO file. When the proccess will finish, open rufus, connect your 8GB USB and check first NTFS. Then check the ISO file and make bootable usb. Wait until the proccess will complete, around 30-40 minutes. Make a backup to another drive or to cloud the important data that you want to keep. Then boot into UEFI (not UEFI Shell) and on 'Save & Exit' Option check the USB drive. It will boot into Windows Installation Programm. Follow the instructions on installation programm until step 'Upgrade' and 'Custom Install'. Check the 2nd one. You will need to delete all partitions, included the system's one and create new. Don't change the size. Click 'OK' or 'Create' (I don't remember) and wait some time until Installation Program will create the partitions. (The recovery will be created again so no worry about what you will do if the recovery partition will not exist, it will be recreated. ONLY FOR MINIX NEO Z83-4 the recovery partition will exist. In other PCs I don't know.) Then press 'Install'.

Download from another PC the drivers and put it to another usb drive and install it to Z83-4. VOILA. Creators Update are ready to use. Fresh PC.

Resizing the partitions will not work. WILL NOT. Don't try it. I just made a unneccesary 200 MB partition ... I merged with C:\ after. :D

P.S.: 15063.332 available to download from WU and WUC (Windows Update Catalog)
  10. CptDobey

CptDobey Member

You do not need any extra program to put an ISO bootable image on an usb disk. Windows 7 and above do it in a few clicks.
  11. xixou

xixou New Member

You do not need to re install windows, just resize the first partition ... As I explain at the top.
  12. xixou

xixou New Member

Actually this is working fine as well on the minix Z64:
    [​IMG]
  13. gadgetuk

gadgetuk New Member

Thanks, have done this this morning does take sometime do and make sure you have over 8gb storage free to upgrade

14. CptDobey

CptDobey Member

As I pointed out in the prior thread on this subject, toying with the partition may fail - it does failed when I did it - and one has to reinstall W10. Reinstall is an alternate scenario for all the people who do not want to experiment with the partition tool. Of course, resizing the partition is a simpler solution when it is working.

By the way, a friend of mine - who does not have a Minix - encountered the exact same issue with the Creator Update on his PC. Creator update installation - which came automatically - failed for days until he resize the system partition from 100 MB to more than 100MB.
  15. minics

minics New Member

Many thanks, xixou, for your great mini-tutorial on how to adjust EFI System Partition size to accomodate upgrading to Windows 10 Creators version 1703 (OS build 15063). It worked perfectly for me. My original EFI system reserved partion was only 64 MB, now it's 482. As I hadn't backed up my system before fiddling in the MiniTool Partition Wizard, boy, I did feel uneasy until it finished the job! |shrink|moving to the left|delete 16MB stray partition|expand EFI system reserved FAT32 partition|. But it all went smoothly. Here's the proof: Winver command output, plus other readings. And guess what? KODI 17.3 seems to work a lot better in Windows Creators than it does in my other desktop PC still on Windows Anniversary ;)[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  16. minics

minics New Member

This is because the old version of Windows is saved in case someone decides to revert back to it after the update. I think there are 2 or 3 hidden folders where all these old installation files are stored. You can see those only if you check "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" options via Control Panel|File Explorer Options. These folders cannot be simply deleted, you have to use the built-in tool "Disk Cleanup for Windows" and run "Clean up system files" to free up all that valuable disk space, 6 or 7 GB in total.
  17. xixou

xixou New Member

Cool, working fine for 4 users so far ^^
    gadgetuk likes this.
  18. WWHK

WWHK New Member

Xixou, so what's inside that 16mb partition? I spotted that it's 100% full. So just to get the steps right: deletion of this 16mb is the first thing, then squeeze the main system partition, and lastly expand the original 64mb EFI partition. Am I following through the steps right??? Thanks!
  19. xixou

xixou New Member

yes. Don't know what is in that one but seems useless.
  20. WWHK

WWHK New Member

Xixou, ok...other users seemed to have confirmed the same. Will give that a try. Thanks!!