1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

It is possible to install windows creator update

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by xixou, May 19, 2017.

1. xixou

xixou New Member

2. konner

konner New Member

Just thought I'd share that I checked out this thread before receiving my unit and had planned on resizing the partition. I ran Windows update first thing and it was able to install the creators update. So for now first time users may not need to go through this step. Verified that version 1703 build 15063.483 is installed.
  3. xixou

xixou New Member

Update wen't fine for win 10 fall update when changing virtual memory setting and adding an external micro sd card:

[​IMG]
  4. xixou

xixou New Member

5. xixou

xixou New Member

It was more complicated for my other minix pc, I had to go in the bios (using esc key at boot) and disable virtualization support and increase the size of the GTP (something like this).

But it works.

[​IMG]
  6. SAGB

SAGB Member

RE Windows Creator Update...

I spent hours with Microsoft techs to get this installed. They couldn't enlarge the partition and they also said there wasn't enough room to do the install without running a fresh install. They gave me instructions to extract the Windows license code, then download the ISO and create an install USB. Only way it would work for me.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  7. xixou

xixou New Member

Last time I asked support from Microsoft was disapointing.
    Why did you not resize the partition yourself?
  8. SAGB

SAGB Member

I tried it from within Windows and it failed... same result the tech had. The tech felt that the partition was either damaged or not set up properly. Didn't try 3rd party software.
  9. xixou

xixou New Member

There is a free version of a partition tool to make the space:
    free MiniTool partition wizard: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Install and run the tool, then move the main big disk partition to the right by reducing its size of about 0.5 GB then move it to the right.
    Apply and reboot.
    After reboot and tool execution,
    There will be a free partition created in between and another small reserved partition(which was already present, named MSR Partition).
    You can delete that second small partition (MSR Partition) and you will be able to expand the most left partition (System Reserved partition) to the right till the big main partition (that will be around 500 MBytes then).
    apply and reboot and now windows creator update will install properly.
  10. RudyB

RudyB New Member

I was able to carry out the 1703 update following these official Microsoft instructions, without any (re)partitioning or full installs via microsoft media creation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...m-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows

I tried to post the link here, but Minix wouldn't let me ... I first need at least 4 posts! Google for microsoft help/3086249 and you'll get there.

Essentially what they tell you to do is to delete all the fonts from the partition ... these are Chinese, Korean and what have you fonts that take some 10 MB of space that you can gain if you don't need those fonts. 15MB of free space is needed on your system reserved partition for the update to start.

I followed these steps listed at the chapter on 'Windows 10 with GPT partition':

1: Search for cmd. Right click on Command Prompt in the results, and select Run as administrator.

2: At the command prompt, type: mountvol y: /s and press Enter. This will add the Y: drive letter to access the System Partition.

3: Switch to the Y drive by typing Y: and press Enter. Then, navigate to the Fonts folder by typing cd EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Fonts. Once there, type del *.* to delete font files. The system may ask you if you are sure to continue, press Y and then Enter to continue.

Apparently this freed up enough space ... the 1703 update started to download and install. Beware ... you still need over 8GB free space on your disk. Luckily I had over 10 GB free. After the update I had only 3GB free. I typed disk cleanup in search, Right clicked and ran as administrator. That made it possible to delete Windows update files ... I now have 12 GB free again.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
    kav2001, Kersus, sutch and 2 others like this.
  11. xixou

xixou New Member

Thanks for sharing.
  12. borbafett13

borbafett13 New Member

Thanks RudyB, worked perfectly.
  13. SAGB

SAGB Member

Just wanted to mention that after I did the windows re-install for the creator's update it made the recovery partition size 450MB from the original 375MB.
  14. minics

minics New Member

I was on ver.1703 and received ver.1709 the other day via Windows Update, it downloaded but failed to install. I assumed it could only be a free space problem, because this being a "feature update" it creates Windows.old a huge hidden folder as it saves the entire old version of Windows. However I restarted, went back to Settings|Update and there was an explaination that it failed but also a tab called "Fix it". So I clicked that, and guess what? At some stage in the lenghty process of "preparing to install" a pop-up window emerged to offer help in two parts! "Part A" said I should free some space (I uninstalled Chrome and Kodi and deleted a bunch of temporary files), then "Part B" was about the use of some external storage (USB stick or SD card). There was some 29 GB free space on my SD card that gave me hope. Installation resumed, it was very slow, two or three restarts, but it eventually completed succesfully! I still can't figure out how it managed to do this, since in the end there was Windows 1709 alright, plus Windows.old (18 GB!), plus about 2 GB free space still left on drive C! Of course, the first thing I did was to remove Windows.old via Disk Cleanup|Clean System Files. Oh, there is already an update pending to the freshly updated Windows 10 ver.1709, but not a "feature update" this one :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Villa likes this.
  15. SAGB

SAGB Member

Is it safe to delete the 16MB partition? I had to do it in order to give the system partition room to expand. The partition software would not allow the 16MB partition to be moved out of the way. The machine still boots... I just want to know if I'm going to have a problem since google searches say this partition is supposed to replace the use of a BIOS (UEFI Partition) (which is a really bad thing to find out after deleting something :-( ).
  16. shaharmor

shaharmor New Member

Any chance to get the exact steps to make it work for Z83-4?
  17. SAGB

SAGB Member

First of all... Here are the partition size rules for Windows 10... look for "Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions" on Microsoft TechNet (I can't post a link because I don't meet the minimum likes of 1%)

Next here are the partition sizes that worked for me... Recovery (NTFS) 450MB, System (Fat32) 100MB, (Other 16MB), C: (NTFS) 28.6GB

Download MiniTool Partition Wizard Free edition... (I can't post a link because I don't meet the minimum likes of 1%)

Shrink the C: (NTFS) partition to create an empty space with enough to increase the size of the partition you want to enlarge. Then start moving partitions to get the space on the right of the partition you want to enlarge (You will need to re-boot after moving a partition).

Then expand the partition you want to enlarge.

Once your partitions are the right size, run the Windows update repair tool, then attempt the windows update again. You may also need to run disk cleanup to free up some hard drive space by removing old updates.

Note: I had to delete the "16MB Other" partition because the software would not allow me to move it out of the way.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  18. Gary Jones

Gary Jones New Member

Well... I deleted the 16mb partition using the partition manager and tried to resize the other one and now I have a machine that won't boot into Windows. It tries to do the "Automatic Repair" thing and then fails. I've tried all the on-screen options even to reset it but that also fails. :cry:
    I'm going to try to boot from a USB stick but never done this before. Even if I can get it up and running... what then? How do I get it to repair so that it will boot up on its own?
  19. Gary Jones

Gary Jones New Member

Yes... I deleted it also and now I have a big problem. The Minix won't boot into Windows. I can't even return it to it's factory state.
  20. SAGB

SAGB Member

I found info on Microsoft's web site for creating an MSR partition. I can't post the link because of the forum restrictions. Also, did you try creating empty unpartitioned space before running the repair by booting from an external drive?
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018