1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Just saved a board by shorting the TP13 & TP15 pins

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by MINIX - Ken, Apr 26, 2015.

1. akav05

akav05 Member

I’m not even sure what u said means but my main use of my box was for kodi so if it could be salvaged just to use kodi then id be delighted with that. Thanks for your help seen as no one from the minix team cares enough to do so.
  2. tps

tps New Member

okay, since I ran LibreELEC with Kodi, I'll need to patch the bootloader with default settings so you can run it without interference (unless you know how to open the box, connect to the console header and know your way around Linux and u-boot shell).
  3. tps

tps New Member

alright, so you need:
    1. custom bootloader and boot tool package: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlf853zfl07604t/amlbootcard.zip?dl=0
    2. LibreELEC build for Amlogic: I just tested mine with LibreELEC-S802.M8.arm-8.0.RC4.img.gz from here https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=156801
    3. ImageWriter tool for Windows (I assume) https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
    4. SD card of say 4GB at least

--
    after you have everything ready:
    1. install ImageWriter, unpack LibreELEC and write the LibreELEC-S802.M8.arm-8.0.RC4.img file to your SD card using the ImageWriter tool (select drive letter corresponding to you SD card and browse for the IMG file - !! BE VERY CAREFUL as chosing a different disk here WILL ERASE ALL DATA!!).
    2. safely remove the SD card from computer then put it back in
    3. use the custom bootloader tool (unzip separately) to prepare the SD card: run BootcardMaker.exe, chose the disk corresponding to your SD card (!! BE VERY CAREFUL as chosing a different disk might ERASE ALL DATA!!)
    - select the u-boot.bin file (push the 'Open' button next to the 'Choose your bin' field) then press 'Make'. you should have a 'Success' box after a few seconds.
    4. safely remove the SD card from computer then put it in the Minix
    5. plug the power cable and push the power button on your Minix. if all is well, after a couple minutes (give it time) you should see the LibreELEC logo on your TV (assuming it is connected to your Minix and powered on).
    - it should write some messages on screen about resizing the /system partition and rebooting in 15sec. let it do what it needs and after restart you should have Kodi 17 running on the box.

I hope you'll manage. I repeated this several times with my box and if you have the same issue as mine, it should work.
    good luck!
  4. akav05

akav05 Member

Man thanks for all your help. I’m gonna have a go at this later on, fingers crossed all goes well. I’ll report back and let u know.
  5. tps

tps New Member

as it might help, I'm adding the pictures for the SD card prep:
    [​IMG]
    1 the disk imager
    2 the bootcard maker

it also might make sense to remind you that in my case, a reflash using the USB recovery tool failed, which may have left the minix without a valid bootloader, hence it is looking for it on the SD card.

hope this helps
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  6. akav05

akav05 Member

Man that’s awesome, never got round to it last night but defo gonna do it tonight. Thanks for the pictures they will defo be a help.
  7. akav05

akav05 Member

I tried it tonight but no joy at all. I done it using 2 different memory cards but again I turn on the minix I jus get the blue light but nothing else. After I put the img file on the sd card when I eject it and put it back in the computer to do the boot maker part it asks me to format the card should that happen?
  8. tps

tps New Member

no, that shouldn't happen. this means that you either have the wrong LibreELEC image or something happens with the writing of that image.

after writing it, you need to use "Safely remove" the card from computer and wait for it to tell you that you can eject it, don't just eject it. always use "Safely remove" from the taskbar right next to the clock (like the attached picture).
    after a successful write of LibreELEC, when you insert the SD card in the PC, it should tell you you have a disk called LIBREELEC, just like in the picture.

use this also after you use the bootcard maker. it is very important so that you're sure it writes the data on the disk.

again, the order is:
    1. write the LibreELEC image then safely remove
    2. use bootcard maker then safely remove
    3. plug it in minix and power it on

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  9. tps

tps New Member

did you try reflashing your minix with the latest firmware using the recovery method? what's your behavior?
  10. akav05

akav05 Member

Here is my initial post with my problem in detail

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/m...ideo-trying-to-flash-official-firmware.17856/

As far as the card prep is concerned I have followed your steps exactly as you laid them out. I used a 8gb SD card Fat32 formatted. First I wrote the libreELEC to it, safely removed it from my computer, when I put it back into my computer to do the bootcard maker process, a box pops up saying my card needs to be formatted to be use to which I click cancel, after I hit cancel for a brief second the file explorer that shows my SD card opens and there’s about 5 libreELEC flies on it that then closes itself. If I look under myPC my SD card can be seen it’s now called libreELEC under drive E also with the card in my computer under myPC there’s is a drive F which goes when I remove the SD card. I run the boot maker the only available drive to write to is drive E, after a second or 2 success comes up I exit the program, again safetly remove my SD card and put it in the minix power it up but nothing happens.
  11. tps

tps New Member

so your symptoms are the same as mine regarding the minix.
    I'm concerned about the ask to format the card but you still have drive E called LIBREELEC on which you should have:
    e:\aml_autoscript
    e:\kernel.img
    e:\kernel.img.md5
    e:\SYSTEM
    e:\SYSTEM.md5

other than that, I don't know why it won't work. so unless you can open it up and hook a USB debug cable on it I don't know what else you might do.
    there's the option to send it to me so I can try eventually or you might 'call a friend' who knows his way around this kind of debugging stuff and we do a 'live' assisted session.