1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

X8-H Kodi 17 for Neo X8-H!? Check this out...

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by aaronkatrini, Mar 12, 2017.

1. aaronkatrini

aaronkatrini New Member

Hi all,
    This is my first time posting on this forum, so please don't be harsh on me :).

Recently I bought a second hand Minix Neo X8-H. I was really pleased with my purchase, because the Tv Box works flawlessly, very fast, opens everything and all. I also installed Kingroot and went ahead and Rooted it. Installed all my apps and set the device according to my needs.
    However I've never had a Tv box before and wanted to know about all the fuss about Kodi. All talking and very good instructions on how to setup Kodi. Only to my delusion I learned that Minix wasn't going to update anymore the X8-H, and the newest version (Kodi 17) isn't gonna work on smth lower than Lollipop. I was really angry, not as much with Minix as I was angry with myself for not doing the research before.
    So I went on every forum I could find to learn more. And on FREAKTAB I find this:

Freaktab - forum/tv-player-support/general-tv-player-dicussions/xbmc-talk/585386-kodi-17-for-pre-android-5-devices
    Credit goes to Freaktab user Johnoo.

To find the direct link to download:
    Search on Google for : "kodi-20160311-11912ea-master-armeabi-v7a.apk" and open a FTP frenchwebsite, use the search function inside the browser to find the version I'm talking about.

Yes, This might be not new to some of you, but I find to be working. However i cannot test it fully since I'm really new to Kodi and don't know (yet) how to install addons or test all its functionalities. Please somebody test this and post result. Thanks in advance.

Ps, there are also newer versions avaiable, so we might try and find out wich is the latest version that works.
  2. aaronkatrini

aaronkatrini New Member

Little Update here guys,
    Been playing around some time and found a pretty annoying bug. It is impossible to install a new Addon from Indigo. But to my surprise, if you install Jarvis before, install all the add-ons you like and than install the version above works really nice.
    However This is not a solution. I really hope Minix comes with an update with lollipop, or even with a modified version of Kodi 17 that runs on Kitkat.
    I'll keep digging further about this...
    Any thoughts or even partial solutions are appreciated, don't be strangers!
  3. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Have a read in link below may help you understand a bit more and some other links to have a read
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/will-the-x8-x8-plus-or-x8-h-get-lollipop.15869/
    aaronkatrini likes this.
  4. aaronkatrini

aaronkatrini New Member

Update nr. 2
    Apparently someone on freaktab forum found a lollipop Rom that could work on Minix X8-H.
    The Rom was intended for the MXIII-G, a tv box with Amlogic S812. However it could boot properly on the Minix X8-H (non Plus version). All the functionalities have not been tried out yet and it should be buggy.
    So, since Minix has officially stated that they're going to release a Lollipop rom for Minix X8-H Plus, maybe we can get that Rom working on our Minix X8-H (non plus).
    I consider myself an mid-skilled person on Android in general. I've been moddifying all this time all my phones and tablets, however my knowledge is very limited on tv boxes with Amlogic cpu.
    In the following days I'll try to install and test this Rom found by freaktab user "godfather007".
    Will update soon...
    Again, thanks and every suggestion or comment is highly appreciated.
  5. dryster

dryster Active Member

I'd be interested in following this thread, specifically this idea that an MXIII-G ROM for the S812 could work on an different architecture system board with a different SoC without creating paperweights. The OP reports that he recently bought a second hand Minix Neo X8-H and was really pleased with his purchase, because the Tv Box works flawlessly, very fast, opens everything and all.

Flashing a bad ROM will soon fix all that.
    Villa likes this.
  6. dryster

dryster Active Member

Here's the thing @aaronkatrini and don't beat yourself up about your lack of research. You state in your first post that you'd never had a TV box before and did not know what all the fuss was about KODI, yet in a very short period of time you appear to have come to the conclusion that KODI 17 is what you need, and to get KODI 17 you will risk bricking your TV box by attempting to install an unsupported ROM on your S802 device.

Let's just rewind a moment and take a breath, what does KODI 17 offer you that KODI 16 does not have?
  7. Serpico

Serpico New Member

Holle everybody, there is a simple solution if you want code 17 to run on your Minix x8H. You need an SD card. This solution will not install code 17 on your minix, but it is a dual boot solution. And the remote works!!.
    I used a 16 GB SD card myself. This is what you need:

1. A program called Etcher (this writes the image to the SD card).
    2. The image for minix x8H, LibreELEC-S802.arm-8.0.1a-S82.img.gz (androidfilehost files&flid=160940)
    3. Now write the image with etcher on the SD card. I formatted the card first (FAT32)
    4. Put the SD card in your minix, let it start up normal. Now go to the power app en restart the minix, but before you do that put a pin in the recover button next the hdmi output.
    Now its gonna boot up from the sd card

My apology i cant put links

I Have a different problem myself if somebody wants to help me. I use wpa2-enterprise with my minix and it works (Ziggo wifispot) , because i don't have my own internet connection i use wifi.
    I cant connect to the wifi (ziggo wifispot)with with LibreElec, it gives an error for wpa2-enterprise. I found something on the internet about this but i dont know how to. pleass help.
    On the librelec. tv forum there is a member called Dal he found the sollution. But i dont understand how to. He says:

Hello again.
    I looked into this some more, and I got it working!

Here's how:
    I created a file called connman-service.config under /storage/.cache/connman
    In that file I put this information (for PEAP logon onto a WPA2 Enterprise network):

[service_name] - Must be unique for each SSID you have on your network
    Type = wifi
    Name = name_of_SSID
    EAP = peap
    Phase2 = MSCHAPV2
    Identity = username
    Passphrase = password

I rebooted, and voila! It works!

One question, though: Is it possible to encrypt the password with MD5 or something? For security reasons..

Thanks again.
  8. dryster

dryster Active Member

Is there any way to make it boot from the SD card every time without sticking a pin in the reset hole while powering it up?
  9. mark2

mark2 Active Member

You should only have to use the toothpick method first time
    Next time you boot up it will open libreelec
  10. aaronkatrini

aaronkatrini New Member

@dryster, yes I understand all you're saying, yes I was a fool for not doing my research before, yes kodi 16 is working just fine but that is for how much time?
    I plan on using my Minix for the foreseeable 2 years, yeah...
    Listen, I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm really passionate about Android in general. A simple Google search about my username can tell you I'm a senior member over at Xda, I have accounts on 4pda, slatedroid, freaktab, androidiani, gsmhosting, miforum and many other forums that deal in Android modding.
    I'm a student that on my spare time finding local persons who sell their bricked devices and unbrick them and get a profit out of it. I've managed to flash Samsung, Htc, Sony, LG, Huawei, Xiaomi, Amazon Kindle Fire series, I've managed to unbrick several devices that came from "white box" chinese sellers. I've never bricked a device by myself before, everytime I did my research and made sure to follow all the steps correctly, when I didn't understand smth I went and searched it, or asked smb smarter than me. I always did Backups after Backup. Every device I own or have owned was rooted, with TWRP and Custom Rom & Kernel. I'm NOT trying to brag here, its not my point, I just want to say I'm not a rookie when it comes to Android.
    What I was trying to accomplish, (now I don't understand all that good how Amlogic devices work, yet) is this:
    Since my TV box was already rooted, the next step would be installing TWRP, after that do a backup on TWRP and save that backup on my PC.
    After that I'd flash the Rom the user "godfather007" mentioned on Freaktab. Try this Rom thoroughly (that is if I manage to install and boot it properly).
    If I didn't like the Rom, and wanted to go back on the "good old" official KitKat Rom, OR The process of flashing would brick my device then I'd let the Amlogic Usb Burning Tool do the trick and bring back my device to life.
    As of these days I don't have much time, I'm doing my research (now yes :D) to better understand on how Amlogic USB Burning Tool works, and if this tool can help me recover in the worst of cases. Will investigate about this during this weekend.
    (If somebody can confirm to me that Amlogic USB Burning Tool is similiar to the QPST from Qualcomm or Miflash from Xiaomi or Odin from Samsung, that means that it can flash the device regarding the state of Rom, that would be perfect, since I can do everything and yet get back to a functional state with this tool.)

@Serpico, thank you for your guide but I'll try to avoid using Libreelec for as much as I can since I use the Tv Box for other purposes as well.
  11. dryster

dryster Active Member

@aaronkatrini kudo's for planning to use an S802 unit for another two years as I personally applaud anyone who has the patience (like myself) to use hardware well past the time that occasional users have given up on it. I have several boxes in the house that are eight years old that will run Kodi 17 and output to a TV in 1080P and the only problem with them is that they are multiple fan units, quite noisy and connect via displayport, so those boxes sit idle, and I am reluctant to part with them, because they still work. I was quite active back in the day on XDA and I will admit that I spent more time modding units than using them, and I just moved away from that, mainly because I want to enjoy media, and not configuring or modifying software or firmware.

Kodi Helix still works very well, it's almost two years old now too, I updated to Jarvis, but really did not gain any benefit from the upgrade as far as I know, it was just a bigger number. Good luck and keep the forum updated with your progress.
    aaronkatrini likes this.
  12. aaronkatrini

aaronkatrini New Member

"I will admit that I spent more time modding units than using them" that is so true!!! XD
    As of old devices, myself don't have the resources to have the latest and greatest, but I must tell you, my Kindle Fire HDX with SnapDragon 800 rocking Android 4.2.2 I still have to find a Tablet that works as fast as this thing.
    But lets not go offtopic, I want to ask you, do you have the Minix X8-H or the Plus version? Because on your signature it says the Plus but you're typing on the Non-plus forum...
  13. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

If he was typing in the Plus forum it would make no sense! o_O
    dryster and aaronkatrini like this.
  14. dryster

dryster Active Member

There are no boundaries here. I have a NEO X6 and a NEO X8-H Plus. I recently bought the latter, used for C$102, after doing a fair bit of research...;)
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017