1. Official MINIX forum

Kodi build wont stay/reverts to all apps

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Guides & FAQs' started by rocks911, Jan 7, 2017.

1. rocks911

rocks911 New Member

So Ive had the U1 for about a month, I've tried a couple of different Kodi builds installed from various repositories. I find many of the builds are glitchy/buffer/timeout/no source, so thats been a tad frustrating.

I have settled on an Ares Wizard Pulse build which is about as stable and useful as any I've found. However when I turn it on via All Apps/Kodi (16.1) and it comes up on the screen it stays for one second and disappears and I am taken back to the All Apps screen. I do this over and over until for whatever reason it stays displayed and I can use it.

I have updated everything, the U1, Kodi 16.1, Ares Wizard Pulse and everything is reliable except for this. There are no error codes, no popups indicating trouble, it just pops up and disappears. Thoughts?
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

My thoughts are; stay away from builds and just install the addons you want. Why would you want to bloat your kodi with a lot of stuff you don't want and will never use.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    kingsizept likes this.
  3. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

I agree with your statement.

Possibly because they don't know how to set up Kodi, need help and a build appears to be a shortcut?

http://kodi.wiki/view/quick_start_guide
    kingsizept likes this.
  4. rocks911

rocks911 New Member

Higgs,

I have come to that conclusion. I have started customizing the Minix XBMC to stream and read from my network. It seems to work so much better. Thanks for the perspective, I have to agree.

And Jeffers, you're correct, it was the quickest way to get up and running, but as I learn the ins and outs I see that the Minix XBMC is the way to go, particularly in regards to advanced sound scapes. I have a really good audio system and the Minix XBMC allows me to take advantage of Dolby and the like.
    kingsizept likes this.
  5. rocks911

rocks911 New Member

Off the topic, but still about the U1's performance. The unit wont power off with the matching Minix remote. The only program I had open was the Minix XBMC, I had stopped the program I was watching and hit the power button. XBMC disappeared but the little blue light on the U1 was still on. I couldnt get it to power down. Eventually had to pull the power cord from the unit.
  6. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Hold the power button on remote for 2 secs power menu should pop up on screen
  7. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

Definitely your own build is the way to go, sometimes it is very frustrating and takes perseverance to find out how to achieve what you want. BUT you end up with a build that does what you want, you know what's in it and how to tweak it. You will be able to get lots of help and support on the Kodi forum.

To backup my build I copy the hidden folder named .kodi, the . in the name makes it hidden so you need to set your file explorer to show hidden files or you will never find it :) Copying .kodi copies all your build details, addons, addon settings, account details such as Trakt etc... Once .kodi is copied you can re-instate it whenever, you can even install it on other boxes, but remember it may have some personal details, Trakt activation, that you may not want to pass on.

A big decision if you have not already made it, is which skin to use.

Kodi builds are useful show cases of what can be done, I install them from time to time to get ideas but don't keep them for the obvious reasons you stated. Once I have finished with a build I re-install my .kodi folder and I am back to my own build.

I copy my .kodi folder a lot more frequently than I used to, due to screwing my build up and my most recent copy was weeks old :-( I keep my .kodi copies with date and time in their file name so I can go back a number of versions if I need to. Sometimes a nasty will creep into your build and it may have happened a few versions back.

Good luck on your quest
  8. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

With FW011 the remote Power key functionality has been changed but in the process has created an issue with the press and hold Power Menu popup feature which I believe will be fixed next FW release.

In the mean time you can use the Power Menu icon...

image_crop__2017_01_02_11_18_49_630.PNG

Also you can change the Power key definition if you want the device to shutdown with one key press...

Screenshot_2017-01-08-11-52-30.png

Screenshot_2017-01-08-11-50-22.png
  9. rocks911

rocks911 New Member

Thanks all for the helpful posts. I love this box and this forum, good stuff!
  10. rmaijala1

rmaijala1 New Member

My solution was to use a tv addons build fusion has almost everything you might need and then I uninstall addons I don't use. After that I go into the userdata folder and delete the folders for these addons as well. I find that tvaddons has some usefull maintenence tools that I use now and then. Their build is basically based on the fusion repository.

I agree with copying the .kodi folder as a backup though you will have to remap any video or music libraries you have set up on a new box.

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk