1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Kodi can't add files via smb: 'invalid argument'

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX' started by Dog's dinner, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Dog's dinner

Dog's dinner New Member

I recently had to factory reset my Minix Neo U1, and have been trying since then to restock my Kodi library with music/video files stored on several hard drives on a computer.

Before it used to be possible to access the files via the smb option in the 'add files' procedure. Now, though, there's an impenetrable iron curtain. Whenever the smb/workgroup option is chosen, a message pops up saying 'invalid argument'.

I've done quite a bit of research on this invalid argument problem, but nobody seems to know why it occurs and how to remedy it.

If anybody knows or has experience of the problem, I'd be grateful for any clues :)
  2. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

what have you tried to do to fix it from your research
    has your pc updated windows recently
    a reboot of your router is also always a good idea

also check out > http://www.minixforum.com/threads/no-samba-network-connection.17928/#post-147679
  3. Dog's dinner

Dog's dinner New Member

Thanks for the link - I've done web searches and searches in Kodi and this forum for kodi 'invalid argument' etc., but only found posts where people had as little knowledge of the problem as I. So I haven't really done anything particularly practical. But I've looked at the thread you indicated, and got windows to install the missing SMB files (SMB 1.0/CIFS Sharing Support and SMB Direct, so I'll go and see if that helps. And yes, I installed a couple of new 500GB ssds on the computer and did a clean install of Windows 10. The router (Asus RT-AC66U) has been both updated and rebooted in the meantime, without that having much effect.

Anyway, thanks for your help! I'll give you a thumbs up if it works!
  4. Dog's dinner

Dog's dinner New Member

Well, as mentioned I made changes to the Windows features in control panel. I turned on SMB 1.0/CIFS Sharing Support and SMB Direct. Then I tested the smb connection in Kodi on the U1, and it got further than the last time. There was no 'invalid argument', but neither was there a link to 'workgroup' (or any other connection). I went instead via the UPnP route. Unfortunately, that only covers a few of the hard drives containing music files. So I went back to the windows features thing, and crossed off everything with any imaginable connection to smb and Kodi, basically everything from Services for NSF down to and including XPS viewer.

I've noticed in some of the images about turning SMB 1.0/CIFS Sharing Support on that it has three subelements. Not on my computer, however. I'm running Windows build 1703, the latest iteration before the developers' version, 1709.

I'll restart the computer, and see if the new changes help any.