1. Official MINIX forum -Forum was offline for maintainance during last weekend and is back online now.

X7 Kodi v17 not possible on neo x7 ? Upgrade?

Discussion in 'NEO X7' started by Thieske (NL), Jul 6, 2016.

1. Thieske (NL)

Thieske (NL) Member

On the site of Kodi i read the following text about Kodi v17 "Krypton" (alpha version)
    With v17 we have started to clean up all the old implementations which sadly also means we had to set the minimum Android version to at least 5.0 Lollipop. It’s uncertain at this time if we even hove to go higher and set minimum to Android 6.0 Marshmallow as this contains certain features we need to improve Kodi. For now you are safe if you at least have Android 5.0 Don’t worry you can keep using Kodi v16 on all previous Android versions however you just can upgrade to a newer Kodi version.

The minix neo x7 runs currently on Android 4.4.2. I believe this is the latest version. (Correct ?) If the info above is correct the device can't go to the newest version of Kodi. (V16 runs fine by the way).

Does anybody know if there will come some changes/ upgrade to a higher android version for this device ? ( if it is even possible). If not, wich unit will do the trick and have this android version (6 marshmallow or higher)?

I also don't know if the choice of a AMLogic is very smart at the moment because the articel mentioned also something about this and yes, i read that they wil not stop working on it, but it might be a problemn like i read it.

So what is smart (if i would like to keep upgrading in the future) ?
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. otchill

otchill Member

I am trying to find some answers for this question. I hope that somebody gives advice.
  3. rollingrock

rollingrock Member

It has been stated in diff areas of this forum that the Minix x7 will receive no more updates, the last is CE edition kit kat 4.4 (2.50)

Most of minix devices are stuck now with Kit kat and will not be compatible with Kodi 17 and further kodi versions.

No more Minix boxes for me and I have resorted to cheaper boxes with android 6 with updates and another brand which has committed a future upgrade to android 7.
    segway likes this.
  4. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

The x7 was released in juli 2013 if i am right so it has allready 3 years of support and updates. 2 years by minix and by the CE team after. We might fix a few bugs still on 4.4 so our support is still here even after these years. We will not raise the platform anymore as there is no support from rockchip either. Xbmc for minix or my modified spmc works fine on kitkat...
  5. Fedur

Fedur New Member

It is still good TV box. I wish that all addons what I use will be still running on SPMC (jarvis) in future. CE do great job here. I just need rom with 720p kernel for games becouse 1080p make slow with asphalt etc.

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 7 przy użyciu Tapatalka
  6. mirekti

mirekti New Member

It is what it is. I've been using this device from the begining of 2014 and it is time to replace it. However, I am not doing it due to its end of product life cycle (all devices have it). I mean, I do, but there's nothing wrong with this.

Thank you team Minix for all replies and constant support, this device actually did much more then expected!!!
    midnight and Villa like this.
  7. goodoane

goodoane New Member

On freaktab wasser just relesead a preaty good firmware based on android 5.1. I am on it now and im happy testing kodi 17.

Trimis de pe al meu m2 note folosind Tapatalk
  8. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

9. EagleEye

EagleEye Member

10. aktarus

aktarus New Member

Hello,

I wanted to use Kodi 17 with my Minix X7... So I deceided to flask my Box with the "wasser firmware 3.0.3 for Minix Neo X7"
    Upgrade processed was fine and I install Kodi 16.1 and restore my backup of kodi..
    Now, I have a little problem.... music and photos library play well, but all video refuse to play... the video library scan is ok, but unable to play a file... circle always spin and nothings happen :(
    If I play my file on another media player, everything is ok ...
    All files are on a Synology Ds412+

Any idea for video file troubles ... Why they don't play ??

Merci, and sorry for my poor english :sick:
  11. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

I thought you wanted to try Kodi 17?
    I tried Kodi 17 briefly! See here...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/wasser-3-0-3-android-lollipop-5-1-1-rom.15152/#post-117870
  12. aktarus

aktarus New Member

After some testing, here is the result.
    .mkv file = OK
    .mp4 file = OK
    .avi file = don't play ...

but I have many of .avi/xvid file ... How can I read them in Kodi ??

Merci