1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Lack of Netflix HD big deal?

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by Kdad777, Feb 13, 2016.

1. pijo1971

pijo1971 New Member

Thank you.
    Do you know if the restriction is also valid for the audio 5.1?
    Kind regards Luigi
  2. dryster

dryster Active Member

As far as Netflix is concerned, in all the devices I have owned over the last seven years, my go to device is always a ROKU, followed by the ATV and I currently run a Roku 3 and Roku Premiere+ for Netflix viewing.

I find that both my MINIX Android boxes will run the latest Netflix app for their API. but the experience is diminished by a few things.

1. The Android app interface is not as slick as the Roku3 or later version
    2. The picture quality is diminished and in some ways "washed out" compared with the Roku3
    3. There is a noticeable fps stall every now and then, my missus does not notice it, but I find it to be annoying.
    4. Search is better on the Roku3 and the Premiere+ but perhaps not fair to compare with the older MINIX devices I currently own.

I cannot comment on the sound quality, both the MINIX and the ROKU deliver surround sound via my amplifier, my old ears cannot define if one is better than another.
  3. nirfun

nirfun New Member

@MINIX - Ken , how come that Netflix HD is supported in Minix U9 but not in U1?
    Can Minix U1 use Netflix APK from U9 to achieve HD?
  4. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Afaik that same app can be installed on any device!
  5. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Because the modded app still requires forcing Google Widevine Level 1 key to work and it doesn't present in U1.
  6. nirfun

nirfun New Member

Thanks Ken,
    Do you have any plans to put that key in the U1 or this is something that is not possible hardware-wise?
  7. ieswideopen

ieswideopen New Member

Ditched Netflix years ago. Kodi is the way to go.
  8. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

That is a matter of opinion ! Some people want to watch movies and not use third party software or have to worry about streams/sources .....
    Cyberman likes this.
  9. Cyberman

Cyberman Member

Indeed. I use Netflix, iFlix, HooQ and (Amazon) Prime Video on the U9. All paid for services that cost me about as much as 2-3 bottles of beer a month and, in respect of the first three, offer subtitles in a variety of local regional languages. I use Kodi either for local media (but prefer Plex I think) or for the odd thing I can't get through my regular services

If I'm honest I think I do prefer the HD Netflix picture on the Amazon Fire TV, JUST by a margin, but, as Amazon in their infinite wisdom have decided NOT to update their OWN devices to run their OWN (now international) service (Prime), the Fire is a non-starter as the main room device. It is however more useful than the Apple TV it replaced so survives in the bedroom. That said, I also find the Amazon UI a PITA and the device for me is just about usable if you buy something like an A2 Lite to use with side-loaded apps like iFlix (in fact I have the A2 Lite with the U9 now and the A3 with the Fire TV as I don't use the settings and Microphone buttons). The perception I think that I SLIGHTLY prefer the Netflix picture on the Fire is maybe down to the fact that AFAIK the Netflix HD app is still restricted to 720, courtesy of Netflix, on the U9, vs 1080 on the Fire's native app. If it was that noticeable though the U9 would be in the bedroom and the Fire in the living room. I watch Netflix a lot. I'm not even sure the difference is just because I know the can only do 720 vs there actually being any real noticeable difference.

The only other option I considered was the Nvidia Shield which has got Netflix and Prime in HD but you have to be content with the Android TV store (or more side-loading) and justify, in my case, double the price of the U9 for a VERY marginal improvement in Netflix PQ, if any. Just not worth it for me.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  10. dryster

dryster Active Member

I've been with Netflix (Canada) for probably five years now, at $7.99 a month, then a year ago, they attempted to bump that up to $9.99 a month, but we opted for their "SD" service for one stream, back to $7.99 which is not HD but looks fine on our 720P Samsung. We have been almost four and a half years now without cable, and we're never short of something to watch. Live morning and evening news, wheel of fortune, jeopardy, prime time TV (a day late) and Netflix of course, some IPTV here and there, Youtube live, and normal, everything that the web offers up and a bit of filler from Kodi here and there. Some great free apps on the Roku, same with the Minix, lots of options on the NUC. Streaming has never been so good, but for some on these forums it seems like the sky is falling!
    Cyberman likes this.