1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Latest Firmware OTA for MINIX U9-H (MHC19J.20171021) un-certified my device from Google Play

Discussion in 'MINIX & General Android Apps' started by redbull02, Dec 1, 2017.

1. redbull02

redbull02 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Just got a brand new U9-H. Before installing any apps, right after booting up the device for the first time and logging in with my Google account into the Play Store services, I used the MINIX OTA app to install all the system updates all the way to the latest (MHC19J.20171021). Right before that update, I could download any app and my status was "certified" but after that update I can no longer download apps like Netflix. I repeat, my device is NOT rooted; I purchased it from Amazon, directly from MINIX bendor in Amazon in the U.S.
    I tried doing a full system factory reset and when I log in into the play store with the stock firmware and OS version it still says uncertified under Google Play Store (and I still can't download Netflix app).

Anyone having this issue. I'm thinking about returning the product and going with a different Android box if can't resolve this issue; I mean I can't have the entire system get screwed up all of a sudden from an OFFICIAL MINIX OTA upgrade, that's just kinda crazy. I mean, if I was rooting the device or doing something illegal that'd be my fault but an official OTA upgrade totally screwing up my device is kinda nuts
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

3. redbull02

redbull02 New Member

Oh ok, sorry my bad; I just noticed that the Netflix app came preloaded in my device (after doing the full factory reset) so now I realize that the device was always uncertified in Play Store and that the Netflix app was already preloaded. One more question: which app works better, the V5.3.1 HD version (on the MINIX forum link) or the one that Netflix currently provides for unsopported devices (v4.16 200147)?
    Also, how many more apps are affected by my device not being "certified"? So far Netflix is the only one but I'm just wondering what other issues I might encounter with this in the future.

Thanks
  4. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I don't use Netflix so no issue there for me, but all the other apps I use I don't have any issues!
  5. redbull02

redbull02 New Member

cool, good to know, I hope I don't have any issues. BTW, just curious to know why MINIX doesn't have Google's certification. Is this something that MINIX is working on? Sorry for my ignorance on the matter, I'm not too familiar with how android development works
  6. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

My household uses Netflix a fair bit of late and I have no issues with V 5.3.1 on the U9 ! I suggest not doing any updates if Netflix prompts you to upgrade. I have V 5.0.5 on a U1 and V 4.12.2 on a X8H-Plus and to honest I don't notice a huge difference between the three. The version on the X8H- Plus might look a little better actually, it's a better quality TV. In saying that however, I would use V 5.3.1 on your U9 !
    Villa likes this.
  7. redbull02

redbull02 New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Just one more question. Is there a way to get past the 5.2 error (could not reach Netflix service (0013))? I've tried reinstalling the app but nothing works.
  8. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

I uninstalled this version. Went into settings , Device, Storage & Reset, Internal Storage, Cached data ... this clears all cached data for all Apps ( not sure if all this is necessary but it seems to work !) I reinstalled V 5.3.1 and did NOT update to a newer version as it asked . Signed into my account and it works fine, no issues!