1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Launcher with tiled shortcuts and widgets?

Discussion in 'MINIX & General Android Apps' started by Pete_Repeat, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

I am using Top TV Launcher Pro ( can't link yet as no posts liked :( ) at the moment (seeing the Minix launcher isn't customizable enough for me) and while I enjoy how it looks and the navigation by directional pad only works well, I wish it also supported widgets.

Does anyone know of any launcher that is tiled (has to be able to navigate with direction pad only for the launcher part anyway), can be customised, and supports widgets?

I have tried a few that looked good, but then found that they were designed more for touch or mouse pointer (which I can do with the A2 lite but don't really want to unless I need to).

I bought Nova Launcher a long time ago but don' t think that is ideal off memory is it?
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Johno102 likes this.
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

3. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

I looked quickly through that thread but most don't seem to be pad based navigation and look like tablets or phone interfaces... Until I jumped to the last page with Squarehome 2. Now that'll take time to setup but I'm thinking that fits all the criteria I put... Thanks for encouraging me to look at that thread again.
  4. Villa

I meant to mention Squarehome but missed it off my post. I have never used it so can not comment!
    I am happy with Nova! :)
  5. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

So can Nova be made to be navigated with direction pad only or is mouse/air mouse required at times?
  6. Villa

Yes & yes!

But because we are not using Android TV then that is generally the case for any launcher you use!
  7. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

Thanks. I bought this box because I wanted android (mouse is great for chrome and wanted to make the most of tasker) but wanted to keep the general navigation as direction pad.

I may look at options to make Nova more tile like before I go too far in this new option I've found.. Top TV is simple but with some choice of customisation but with no widgets Im looking for alternatives.

Two possibilities now. I hadn't realised Nova could be used mainly with direction pad. I paid for the launcher years ago and never ended up using it.
  8. Villa

9. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

I saw that option but no widgets from what I can see. At first I was curious then started thinking I liked the Top TV Launcher... But keep em coming. So far I'm tempted with the Squaregome although the amount if effort I'll put into it makes me think I should keep exploring for alternatives before I start the journey
  10. pxr5

pxr5 New Member

I'd never used any other launcher before with Android. But decided to try squarehome - it's really quite straightforward to set up.
  11. Cyberman

Cyberman Member

One thing I like with Metro is the large tiles which you can then populate with apps. What I dislike is that I can't rename the three I never use to contain more useful apps. Is this possible with Nova, looks like it might be possible with HAL and Squarehome? The Top TV launcher looks like it's been to designed to do the job well.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017