1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Libreelec

Discussion in 'Z83-4 Alternate OS discussion' started by normy62, Sep 21, 2016.

1. normy62

normy62 New Member

making the first post:
    am thinking of replacing my x8h+ with the new z83-4// my question is can libreelec be installed on this machine to replace the windows OS... i have read that only uefi 32 bit is available for the Atom X5-Z8300. if anyone knows about this can you please enlighten me.
    thanks in advance
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

3. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

4. newbie99

Ok, I didn't know Windows 10 64 bit... because of this I think so too?!?
  5. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

We are porting Linux Ubuntu at the moment.

Need to get the audio & Wi-Fi driver working.
    Bram77, gufone, sangaz and 2 others like this.
  6. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

I've ordered this very promising device specifically to run LibreElec or Ubuntu for HTPC purposes. It should be more then capable enough and has low power consumption. I think the device could be very popular with Linux Kodi users, if the hardware is supported properly. Unfortunately I've found a slightly worrying post on the Kodi forums (there was very little information available at the time of purchase, so unfortunately I didn't know at that time):

forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=269815&pid=2420618#pid2420618

Hopefully someone with the proper skills can create a kernel patch for the upcoming 4.8 kernel (I don't have those skills, otherwise I would do it)....
  7. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

Why buy something that you hope will get linux support instead off something that has it...U1.
    Libreelec works just fine on it, perfect media player.

sent from my LG G2
    Bennett83 likes this.
  8. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

You're right. It was kind of impulsive. The hardware isn't very exotic, so I just didn't expect Linux to be a problem.
    The U1 is quite a bit less powerful, as far as I know. That's why it isn't really interesting to me. The 4GB RAM and Atom CPU make it capable if running Windows 10 smoothly, so Ubuntu must run VERY smooth. That's what I figured anyway.

edit: I should have been a bit more patient and wait for others (with in dept knowledge) to determine if it's a Linux compatible machine. Like Millhouse, from the Kodi thread. He knows what he's talking about. Lesson learned (or re-learned...rather :p)!
  9. newbie99

I have to say every "new" Intel Chip is exotic to Linux... don't ask me why Intel will not / is not able to release kernel-patches/drivers nearly the release date of the Chip... sometime it could take some months...
  10. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

Any progress on this? I've tried running the custom Ubuntu build linked to below, but audio over HDMI isn't working with it unfortunately (haven't testen Wifi, bluetooth and the SD slot). Although it runs fine in every other aspect.
    I've also tried running an older Alpha build of LibreElec that contains a kernel that supposedly has been patched to support Cherry Trail audio over HDMI (confirmed working by others; version 7.90.003). With UEFI disabled it boots and runs very well, but no audio over HDMI.

The machine is pretty much perfect in every way for HTPC purposes, if only I could run Linux on it...

linuxiumcomau_blogspot_com/2016/10/running-ubuntu-on-intel-bay-trail-and_html
  11. Blad3Runn3r

Blad3Runn3r New Member

Have also tested today. No luck.
    No Audio over HDMI, no wireless, no graphic acceleration.
    Stuck with windows for the moment, I hate it.

I plan to resell my z83, too bad, it seems a wonderful machine, except for linux compatibility.
  12. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

I'm thinking about that too...
  13. MINIX - Ken

We are porting Ubuntu, Wi-Fi, audio, video hardware decoder, are already done. - exactly the problems that you're having.

DO NOT expect it to work out of the box, there are many drivers that need porting, and we are working on it.

Thanks.
    nicosea and Bram77 like this.
  14. MINIX - Ken

We got most things working now, only except Bluetooth.

We are having a really big project that needs fully functional Ubuntu,
    so I believe it's quite safe to stick with us as we are working it out together with Intel.
  15. Blad3Runn3r

Blad3Runn3r New Member

Ken,
    That seems really good news.
    Do you plan tout release an "how to" guide, for those like me who prefer other distros over ubuntu ?

And last question:
    Does the hdmi audio fix also adresses the issue with audio over display port ?

Thanks for the efforts, anyway
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  16. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

That is excellent news! Will the patches be submited to the ubuntu repsitories, when they are ready?
  17. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

Is there a build we can help test? I don't mind if bluetooth isn't working yet. I'm impatient and would love to start using the device :)
  18. srjuanjo

srjuanjo New Member

any linux distro in which I can use the wifi on z83-4?
  19. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

I keep checking this thread every day, hopefully. Could you give us an indication of when we can expect a build, kernel or sources? Even if it's incomplete... Of hdmi audio and hardware video acceleration works I'll be full of joy (and I wont sell the device.

If the distro arrives any time soon I'll be buying a few for customers. Including minix remotes.
  20. Blad3Runn3r

Blad3Runn3r New Member

Same here... :whistle:
    Ken, any news ?