1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Libreelec

Discussion in 'Z83-4 Alternate OS discussion' started by normy62, Sep 21, 2016.

1. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

BTW:
  2. Blad3Runn3r

Blad3Runn3r New Member

Wow !
    I go back to my doghouse :confused:
  3. newbie99

;)
    I think at that moment MINIX will have something to release they will do it (because I think they know from the Z64 that the people are interested in LINUX running at their devices)...
  4. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Wi-Fi, done.
    Analog audio - done.
    nicosea, ilGimmy and Bram77 like this.
  5. Blad3Runn3r

Blad3Runn3r New Member

<3
  6. srjuanjo

srjuanjo New Member

So if I download this version the wifi is going to work? :-O
    Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
  7. Blad3Runn3r

Blad3Runn3r New Member

No...
    Even the linuxium edition doesn't adress those issues.
    You have to wait, or switch like me to another architecture :(
  8. nicosea

nicosea New Member

I want to use Z83 as a NAS, so I would not care too much if wifi, audio and Bluetooth will not work with a Debian Linux distribution. On the other hand, I would also like to keep the windows 10 for you never know reason, but win 10 home is not an ideal OS for NAS purpose.

So, is it possible to keep both Win 10 and a Debian Linux? I do not even need to have Grub bootloader on boot to chose the OS to start the machine (32gb on the eMMC are too low for two OSs). My idea is to do it with the Bios settings and select the boot disk the few times I need to switch (I would basically use Linux most of the time).

Can I install Ubuntu or Debian on a microSD or USB external disk and boot from there, leaving untouched the original Win 10 (and bootloader) on the eMMC? Doing so I can install on a Debian distribution the amazing Openmediavault for NAS purpose (USB 3.0, fanless, very low power consumption... it would be a great NAS and plex media server).
  9. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

What do you mean, is there a 32bit build that does work?
  10. newbie99

11. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

I had all ready tried the 16.04.1 variant. Out of frustration of still not being able to use the device I've just installed the 16.10 build. They both install but they both lack hardware support unfortunately. Running the kernel update shows me that most likely the required firmware is missing. Intel does not seem to offer the correct firmware yet (I've tried all they offer). If that is the case I would be very interested in obtaining the firmware so I can finally start using the device. Since you are working together with Intel...any chance you already have the correct firmware and are willing to share it?
  12. mick56

mick56 Member

13. Blad3Runn3r

Blad3Runn3r New Member

No, I mean quit the cherry trail / zbox, and switch to a celeron mini-pc.
    My z83-4 is on sale...
  14. Blad3Runn3r

Blad3Runn3r New Member

ARM ?
    Doh !
  15. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

What did you buy as a replacement? I'm seriously considering the same route (sell the Minix box and NUC or Celeron).
  16. nicosea

nicosea New Member

OK, it works. But I cannot write a post on how I did it, because my like ratio is below 0% (I am new in the forum), a pity, I think it is very interesting.

Anyone can help?
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    newbie99 likes this.
  17. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

just remove the first 7 characters from the url.
    nicosea likes this.
  18. Blad3Runn3r

Blad3Runn3r New Member

I just bought a VORKE V1, which is known to be fully linux compliant (WIFI, audio over HDMI, and Intel HD graphics support) .
    More or less same specs as the z83-4:
    • Celeron J3160
    • 4 Gb RAM (same as Zbox)
    • 64 Gb sdd card (removable, and upgradable)
    • HDMI and VGA Port
    • Built in Wifi (also removable) and upgradable
    • Price: more or less 150 bucks...

Let me here add one more thing:

It was MY mistake, not to check about the linux compliancy before buying the zbox.
    I still think it's a good small machine, but Windows is not my cup of tea, as most of my work is done with linux and unix systems.

I understand efforts made by Minix in order to address this issue, and I know, as being a developer myself, that kernel patches are not that simple to integrate.

I just need a fully operational machine right now, because my main PC is out of order.
    Minix is , to my knowledge, the only firm to take this incompatibility into full consideration, and they deserve our respect for that.

It was just a matter of time, but for now, I made this purchase a bit too early...
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Bram77 likes this.
  19. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

I completely agree. I should have checked it myself before purchasing.
    Blad3Runn3r likes this.
  20. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

Any chance you can provide us with these firmware files, zo we can (hopefully) at least have audio over HDMI and accelerated video?

/lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_ver9_14.bin for module i915
    /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_ver8_7.bin for module i915
    nicosea likes this.