1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Libreelec

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4 Alternate OS discussion' started by normy62, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mick56

mick56 Member

Where are the firmware files so i can check i don.t know what you mean audio over HDMI and accelerate already working you can set to 24 50 or 60 only with this latest skin there are on a other place i think you don.t have find the settings

2. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

What distribution are you using with working audio over HDMI and hardware accelerated video (if that's what you're saying because your message is kind of hard to decode)!?

nicosea likes this.
  3. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken Former MINIX Team Member Administrator

We have NGC-1, launched early this year... Linux compatible...
    full aluminum housing with 4GB RAM/128GB SSD, 802.11ac wifi, full Win10 license, at ~$250. :)

kingsizept likes this.
  4. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

I guess I'll be purchasing one of these two then. The VORKE V1 is the most attractive because it's a lot cheaper then the NGC-1. I've lost hope for a working Z83-4 ubuntu build any time soon.

edit: In the Netherlands the cheapest NGC-1 I can find (in stock) is 402,85 euro. That's a whole lot more then 250 dollars.

5. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

I've chosen an Intel NUC with i3 processor. Very happy with it! I had a SSD drive laying around so I only had to add some RAM. It's really fast and every piece of hardware is working perfectly out of the box. Ubuntu runs fantastic and I'm currently running LibreElec which picks up all the hardware instantly too. It's blazingly fast.

I'll be trying to sell the Minix box, or just maybe give it away to someone. All though 32GB storage will fill up fast and really is just enough to run a clean Windows installation and some small applications. So it will be hard to find a useful application for it, without it being able to run Linux.

6. nicosea

nicosea New Member

I am using the Mini box as a NAS, with Openmediavault (based on Linux Debian) and it is working like a charm. It is very fast, around 100Mb/s transfer with NFS protocol and USB 3.0 external hard-disk. Also Plex server works very well, with on fly coding of H265 movies.
    I also use as personal OpenVPN server.
    Only wi-fi does not work but I do not care, I use it as a NAD with wired connection of course.
    You can use the Z83 as NAS: very silent and fast, with very little power consumption!

7. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

I'm aware of that (it being able to run Linux with limited hardware support). But I really need RAID in my NAS. I'm running OpenMediaVault on a more powerful machine, which I've build for that exact purpose. But good to know people do find non-windows purposes for the device :).

nicosea likes this.
  8. jlinux

jlinux New Member

I would likely buy that machine, if it was available at the price you indicate. I see it is on Amazon now, but the price is $458.

9. Rockstar

Rockstar New Member

Is there any update on this? The new Ubuntu 17.04 distros install great, but the WiFi isnt working. Is there a WiFi driver available?

auryc likes this.
  10. auryc

auryc New Member

I'm waiting for this answer too

11. klapa

klapa Member

You can add another here too. I like this platform for my intended use, but had I known more about Windows 10 I would not have bought this machine.
    32Gb just is not enough as more than half is gobbled by the system itself - and many programs (browsers and others) MUST be installed on the system drive. Add to that the problems with the SD card access and the problem is more acute.

Adding in the "all or none" forced update policy makes Win 10 unsuitable for a new evolving platform such as this one.

I am hoping full hardware support comes soon for Linux as that would seem to be an excellent OS to leverage this platforms' promise.

12. jlinux

jlinux New Member

"I am hoping full hardware support comes soon for Linux..."
    Me too. Even partial hardware support would be interesting; I gather it "sort of" works now to some extent but I'm not sure what works & what doesn't.

13. eUX

eUX New Member

I did not check compatibility before installing ubuntu 16.04 - my mistake :whistle:

Any news about :
    > HDMI audio support ? :cry:
    > Audio Jack support ? :cry:
    > WiFi support ? ... turn around with USB WiFi dongle :)
    > Bluetooth support ? ... turn around with USB BT dongle :)

Thank you very much for the ongoing efforts.

14. eUX

eUX New Member

Please excuse me for being a stupid user, but the Minix U1 running Android 5.1.1 (Linux) and the Minix Z83-4 running Windows 10 have similar specs.

Ok, the Android Linux kernel is a little bit different from the Linux LTS kernel ... but usually if a PC is able to run Windows, it can run Linux ... What is so specific in the Z83-4 ? Audio Jack, HDMI, WiFi, BT ?

My WiFi and BT dongles (drivers) were automatically recognized and the dongles are working perfectly with ubuntu 16.04.
    Does it take so long to add the specific drivers to the Linux LTS kernel library ? ... The topic started in Sep'16, first solution by Ken Early-Nov'16, technical solution ok by Ken End-Nov'16 ... today +6 months

I guess patience is a virtue :whistle:
    If at least the Audio drivers could be published, we could wait with music :rolleyes:

Thank you again for the ongoing efforts.

15. BMoe

BMoe New Member

I was able to get Ubuntu to work with audio through HDMI out. No Wifi or Bluetooth yet, but for my purpose of using Kodi and surfing the web, it works great. I had to directly contact linuxium and ended up following their directions. You will have to respin a Linux iso with Linuxium's iso and re-mount.

Linxuium: "I recommend respining a 17.04 Ubuntu ISO and update the kernel and after installing use my UCM script which if I remember correctly fixes the final audio issues. Have a read of http://linuxiumcomau. blogspot.com.au/2017/04/ creating-personalized-ubuntu- mint-and.html and some of the earlier posts for a fuller explanation and links to scripts etc."

Still waiting on Minix to hook us up with the full build that will get Ubuntu fully functional, it has been at least 6 months since they've started working on it...

SteveMurphy likes this.
  16. eUX

eUX New Member

Thank you very much BMoe.
    The super work of Linxuium is a little bit too advanced for me.

I have just ordered a USB dongle audio. If it works (like it worked for me with a USB dongle WiFi and a USB dongle BT, for the WiFi and BT), I will post back.
    For information, I have tried to play with alsamixer and pulseaudio ... but without success.

The Z83-4 is a very good little mini PC with a light Windows 10, and a fantastic one with Ubuntu ... I cross all my fingers for the USB dongle audio ...

Thanks again

17. Linuxium

Linuxium Linux Evangelist Dev Group

I've now got audio and wifi working on the Minix NEO Z83-4 and here is a link explaining how together with a link to my ISO: http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com.au/2017/06/third-look-at-ubuntu-1710-spicing-up.html
    Note: you will need to copy over a Windows wifi file using a command like the following (hint: modify the 'from path' to reflect your device): cp /media/ubuntu/Windows/Windows/System32/drivers/4345r6nvram.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt

18. eUX

eUX New Member

Audio is working fine with the 'audio usb-dongle' (y) ... 8€ turn around :)

Would have been better without Audio/WiFi/BT usb turn arounds,
    ... and a functional Mini Display Port (not mechanicly deep enough to welcome the Display Port)

But that's life !

Thanks again to all

19. Linuxium

Linuxium Linux Evangelist Dev Group

Some progress on not requiring any 'USB turn arounds'. Audio (both over HDMI and through headphones) and wifi are now in the latest release candidate kernel (v4.14-rc1) with the BT fix submitted waiting for review.

20. klapa

klapa Member

I was hoping this would work - went through the isorespin script using --atom option on Linux Mint 18.3 iso - could not boot USB so made DVD from ISO to boot.

DVD booted but further failed with "invalid magic number".

Any ideas?