1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

List of compatible/incompatible devices (Please contribute)

Discussion in 'NEO C, USB-C Multiport Adapter' started by MINIX - Ken, Nov 30, 2016.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dear all,

We're creating this thread because it's impossible for us to purchase every laptop that comes with a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port,

we are hoping that you could share your experience here and help us to prepare a list of compatible and incompatible devices.

The list will be updated every week to the second post of this thread.

Thank you very much for helping us.

Regards,
    Team MINIX.
  2. MINIX - Ken

Device that we've tested working:
    1.) MacBook 12" 2015 [any OS version]
    2.) MacBook 12" 2016 [please update to Sierra 10.12.2 for enhanced stability]
    3.) MacBook Pro 2016 13" [please update to Sierra 10.12.2 for enhanced stability]
    4.) MacBook Pro 2016 15" [please update to Sierra 10.12.2 for enhanced stability]
    5.) Dell XPS 13 9350/9360 [Thunderbolt 3 port, charging is not tested because there is no USB-C charger supplied with this laptop]
    6.) HP Spectre 13 [Thunderbolt 3 port, need to update BIOS to F.26 Rev.A, 12th August 2016]
    7.) XiaoMi Air 13
    8.) Samsung Galaxy S8

Device that users reported working without tested by MINIX:
    1.) Lenovo Yoga 900

Partial support:
    1.) Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S [Samsung has its own charging protcol so charging is not supported]
    2.) Lumia 950XL [charging is slow]
    3.) Asus laptops [Minimum charging wattage limited by BIOS, can't charge with stock adapter at the moment, needs a charger with larger wattage to bypass the limit imposed by BIOS]
    4.) XiaoMi 12 [Minimum charging wattage limited by BIOS, can't charge with stock adapter at the moment, needs a charger with larger wattage to bypass the limit imposed by BIOS]
    5.) Lenovo Air 12 [can't charge via usb-c port, and it has its own non-usb-c power adapter]
    Jeffrey likes this.
  3. frake65

frake65 New Member

What exactly do you mean by "working, ports not very stable - required restart sometimes"? I tried using this device with my new MacBook Pro 15" (latest drivers) and experienced several freezes / reboots in Sierra.
    This happened while connecting an external HD to USB port with power supply plugged to the Neo's USB-C port.
    Is the device meant to get warm?
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. MINIX - Ken

It's widely reported by media, Apple have to fix it.
    You may also found some user reviews here:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/reviews/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Yes, NEO-C does get warm during operation,
    metallic housing is dissipating the heat well, unlike other products using plastics housing which trap the heat inside.
  5. gianarb

gianarb New Member

Hello

I can confirm that in my Asus ZenBook 3 charge is not working and at the moment I can not find any workaround
  6. MINIX - Ken

Asus's BIOS limited the minimum wattage to passthrough for charging.
    There are only 2 ways to fix it:
    1.) Asus releasing a new BIOS to lower the minimum charging wattage;
    2.) Use a USB-C adapter with higher wattage.
  7. gianarb

gianarb New Member

Thanks Ken! I shipped back my USB-C yesterday :(
    Do you know if MINX has a product compatible with Asus? Atm I am without adapter :D uncomfortable situation.

Thanks
  8. Akash Belani

Akash Belani New Member

Hi Guys,
    Is Minix Neo C multi-port adaptor compatible with Mac Book Pro Touch?
    Mac book pro touch has four Thunderbolt 3 ports.
  9. MINIX - Ken

The question should be: When ASUS will release BIOS that is compatible with other adapters...!! (by lowering the minimum charging wattage allowed)
    The limit is being imposed by ASUS, not us!o_O
  10. MINIX - Ken

List updated (a little).
  11. Paulo Rodrigues

Paulo Rodrigues New Member

Minix Neo-C works perfect with Asus Zenbook UX390U, apart from powering the notebook. Any possible solution for this? The AC-adapter that came with the notebook is from Asus (ADP-45EW C), output 5V=2A; 12V=2A; 20V. Thank you
  12. MINIX - Ken

Charging would work if you have an adapter with higher wattage, e.g. 65W.

Reason:
    Asus's BIOS limits the minimum charging wattage, after reserving for the adapter (we simply follow the power delivery standard),
    there is not enough wattage left according to their pre-defined value, as the power adapter provides only 45W.

Solution:
    They should provide a new BIOS which set a lowest possible charging wattage, now they are doing the reverse, which is wrong in terms of logic/common sense.
    OR if they really make such restriction, then they should provide an adapter with higher wattage for connecting other external devices instead.
    I suggest you point this out on their forum, or after sales support.
    @gianarb mentioned the same thing above.
  13. chargio

chargio New Member

Hi Ken

I have a Asus Zenbook 3 (UX390UA) as well and of course facing the non-charging issue through USB-C docks. After quite some (frustrating) research, I finally found this thread. It's the first valid explanation of the non-charging issue I found so far, thanks for that!

Just some history:
    - The small Asus dock that comes with the Zenbook works perfectly, but it has only HDMI, USB and USB-C (for charging), so no LAN or card reader
    - I bought the bigger Asus universal dock which has all the ports I need. But this is (imo) a complete failure. The ports are all working fine and even charging works, but the dock comes with its own charger (twice the size of the Zenbook's charger) and the whole dock only works if this charger is plugged in. Without the charger, no functionality at all. This has then nothing to do with portability anymore, it's a complete nonsense...
    - Then I bought a dock from LMP (pretty similar to the one from Minix, including the non-charging issue). I couldn't find any explanation for the non-charging issue and gave up after a while.
    - Finally I bought the Minix dock and got the same frustrating result when it comes to charging, but at least you guys have a forum where I could find the reason. Thanks again!

I'm happy to get in contact with Asus to see if there is any way to make this work. But may I ask you to give me some more details about your adapter and how exactly it works first? The charger of the Zenbook has an output of 20V and 2.25A, which results in 45W. What exactly is the dock "taking away" from this? I guess the 20V is passed through as it is, so it should be some A's. If e.g. 0.5A is consumed, only 1.75A is passed through, so only 35W arrives at the Zenbook. Is this assumption correct (in general, please correct the numbers according to your specs).
    Most likely, the Zenbook tries to pull 2.25A and if that's not available, it rejects the charging. So it would be good to know exactly what you consume and what is passed through to let Asus know. And I don't think just using a charger with e.g. 65W would solve the issue. It still depends on the correct voltage (to not damage your notebook). Or are you doing any kind of "conversion" in terms of voltage?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  14. Paulo Rodrigues

Paulo Rodrigues New Member

I received today a 65w power adpater (HP USB-C Travel Power Adapter 65W, from Amazon store), and I confirm that it works perfect with Minix Neo C USB-C; it does charges my Asus UX390U, and powers at least one USB 3.0 1 TB hard disk,and 1 USB pen. Lan also working. So, here is one solution! Thank you Ken.
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  15. chargio

chargio New Member

Thanks Paulo for the confirmation that the HP power adapter works. As this one was not available last week I bought the USB-C power adapter from Lenovo (also 65W) and this one works as well. I used a power meter to check the values and the power output of the dock with the original Asus power adapter is only 5V and no measurable current (0.0A), that's why the Zenbook is not charging. With the Lenovo power adapter it's 20V (as it should be) and the current fluctuates (sometimes 0.4A, sometimes it goes up to 0.9A), which is ~10-20W. Anyway, there are at least 2 known power adapters now that work with the Minix USB-C dock and the Asus Zenbook 3.
  16. shenzhou

shenzhou New Member

I would like to know whether anybody has any experience in getting this device working in a Chromebook, in particular the Samsung Chromebook Plus?
  17. MINIX - Ken

Tested the new Samsung Galaxy S8 and it works fine with the NEO-C series.
  18. JeroenK

JeroenK New Member

Dear,
    The minix adapter is not working on my HP Pro x2 612 G2 L5H58EA.
    What can I do to fix this?
    Looking forward to advice, because really I love the adapter, if it works on my machineā€¦
    Cheers, Jeroen
  19. wesker

wesker New Member

Tested that Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon(2017) works fine with the NEO-C, but when plugging the Lenovo original type-c power adapter to NEO-C then the notebook, the Lenovo can only detect 49W instead of 65W, no matter I plug the power adapter to NEO-C first or plug the power adapter after NEO-C connected with X1 carbon.

The USB 3.0 ports, SD/micro SD card slots, Ethernet port and VGA port all works fine, only the Power Delivery not perfectly works.

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      836.3 KB
      Views:
    • 02a.jpg
      02a.jpg
      File size:
      369.4 KB
      Views: