1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Malicious Subtitles Threaten Kodi

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX Releases' started by antcj, May 24, 2017.

1. antcj

antcj New Member

well the title says it. See Here
    with that in mind an update is even more critical now for those stuck on kodi 16

jackie999 and kingsizept like this.
  2. zoro25

zoro25 New Member

3. zoro25

zoro25 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
  4. Marty

Marty Moderator Moderator

If you read the article it clearly states it is the media player software that is vulnerable not the box firmware.

5. zoro25

zoro25 New Member

I read the article and Minix boxes all use forked versions of XBMX and they are all vulnerable.
    If the box uses an unpatched media player that uses subs which can be hijacked then it's vulnerable.

Minix boxes use custom xbmc versions provided by minix in their firmware .

So your point is????

My point is that every box minix has out there is vulnerable to this hack as they all run unpatched media players provided in their firmware by minix. I'm asking if the planned firmware will have the patch included.

6. Marty

Marty Moderator Moderator

Ah, understood I'm sure now that you have highlighted this that Minix will more than likely update the code for XMBC for Minix

zoro25 likes this.
  7. Armand

Armand Member

8. mchp92

mchp92 Active Member

Roughly what happens and how when this thing hits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

All posts relating to this issue have been merged and duplicate posts removed! (y)

10. zoro25

zoro25 New Member

Okay but that's still not an answer of when a fix will come , have you contacted Checkpoint security as everyone's devices are now insecure.

11. Villa

It has nothing to do with me!
    If I can do that then so can you! o_O

12. zoro25

zoro25 New Member

If you ever use subtitles on your device , there is a chance that the zip file which the subs have will also have malware that would be able to have full control of your device, plus stealing any account creds , or even worse using your minix device as a pivot point into the rest of your home network, and potentially spreading malware to other devices in your home. (stealing online banking details etc)

13. zoro25

zoro25 New Member

What do you mean it has nothing to do with you?, If you don't work for minix then just leave the post to be answered by someone who does.

I'm asking for a minix staff member to contact them . It's their software and their responsibility to patch security bugs.

14. Villa

I've not attempted to answer anything here!

midnight likes this.
  15. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

Until this issue is resolved I would hope everyone is going to smart about it and not use subtitles !

dssv and zoro25 like this.
  16. zoro25

zoro25 New Member

Thanks midnight , that's an acceptable answer, just saying that we don't have a fix planned yet and in the mean time we advise people not to use subs.
    Thanks for the clarification

17. midnight

It's just clearly a logical answer until we get something official...... I don't have anymore information than any of the other mods , we are all volunteers here ! :)

18. Villa

The issue has been fixed in the latest Kodi update.

19. midnight

I assumed @zoro25 was talking about Minix/XBMC version

kingsizept likes this.
  20. zoro25

zoro25 New Member

Hey midnight - yes that's exactly what I was talking about, but I guess if that version is removed from the newer firmware and everyone is using the official Kodi 17.2 or greater then all is good.