1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Custom ROM MARTY X8H-PLUS LOLLIPOP SPMC ROM

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by Marty, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Moderator Moderator

I have created this ROM solely for smooth video playback in SPMC so please do not go asking for Live Wallpaper, AirPin etc...., it is stripped to the bare minimum for better performance. I have not tried it with Kodi as I prefer SMPC because it utilises the amcodec.

You will need to run the SuperSU app and reboot after install to access the SuperSU settings, it is pre-rooted but the app doesn't seem to realise it.

Details:
    - Removed some Minix code from the boot.img that was causing video stutter with amcodec.
    - Added some code to the boot.img for CPU performance.
    - Force Landcape is now default on install, hopefully no posts about centered apps ;-)
    - Added the original Minix Wallpaper that Minix couldn't be bothered to put into the Lollipop RC.

I have been using SPMC 17.6 to test this ROM and the results have been flawless (for me at least), this ROM comes with SPMC pre-installed, in SPMC Settings switch to Expert mode and apply the following under Player settings:

- Set Adjust display refresh rate to Always
    - Set Enable HQ scalers for scaling above to 100%
    - Select Allow hardware acceleration - amcodec
    - Deselect both MediaCodecs
    - Set MPEG2, MPEG4, h264 and hevc to Always

Lastly, I am using this ROM direct X8H-Plus to TV via HDMI so please do not post asking about HD audio etc....I don't have the answers.

So without further ado, get flashing and enjoy............And as always, do so at your own risk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kidu52sastpy9cz/X8H_PLUS_LOLLIPOP_SPMC.zip?dl=0

likimba, PLAY911, giverxxx and 8 others like this.
  2. mrgardiner

mrgardiner New Member

Thank you Marty,
    I am just scraping up instructions for flashing the rom. I'll let you know how it goes as I get everything setup in Kodi. The community appreciates your work.
    Just went through through a few times to get to upgrade screen.
    -Monterey
    1. Erase from menu just to be safe. It may freeze on erasing, give it some time and maybe pull power. Hold down power and reset to factory reset using setup menu, need remote.
    2. Find amlogic burn card maker and get a 1 gig min SD card (700 mb):
    a. step by step process I M G U R f h N M M
    3. Remove sd card from pc and insert to Minix Box (X8 Hplus). Find a paper clip or pin.
    4. Now boot sd card from recovery.
    a. First hold down "reset" using a toothpick or any clip, then click "power button" and wait for upgrade screen. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    giverxxx and MR ZAW like this.
  3. Jacob Davies

Jacob Davies New Member

Thanx Marty, This works Super!! ... I have installed SPMC 17.6(alpha?) also on my X8 Plus(Finless ROM) and with your tweaks it runs better then ever. Before with Kodi 17.6 the frames would jerk here and there but man this SPMC with your tweaks is smooth as pie! Box never run better and I am using spdif out for audio as the headphone-jack = crippled with the Finless ROM. (Got it hooked up to a 24" monitor with HDMI to DVI cable. Oh and I also tried SPMC 17.6 on my U1 but that was war between the both... starts out great but after a minute or so SPMC 17.6 starting jerking the frames Badly. So I will just stick to Kodi on that one for right now.

4. Marty

Glad to hear, have you tried my U1 SPMC ROM, that works flawless for me, same tweaks:
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/marty-u1-fw013-spmc-rom.18776/

5. Jacob Davies

Jacob Davies New Member

Ok fin. had time to check my X8 H-Plus and for me all worked great except Live Streams! Like crash and pull the plug and reboot many times testing live streams! So I changed: "Auto Refresh to disabled, both MediaCodecs" to enable both of them and set: h264 and hevc to - HD and Up. Box seems stable now and framerates = smooth, it's pretty weird where it went to crap on the live streams. My X8 Plus works great with the settings you recommended . I hope we have more reply from other people about this ROM as you have done a great job on it Marty! Might try Kodi on it to see how it reacts. More reports to come. Oh and btw. will try your U1 this weekend. Thank you again

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  6. Ronaldsito

Ronaldsito New Member

Hi everyone!
    I don't know if we are going to have a final version of lollipop, I do not know but what I do know is I can't install this one without having any problems , can anybody please, please show us how to install MARTY X8H-PLUS LOLLIPOP SPMC ROM step by step, what do we need so we won't make more mistakes, not just for me but for everybody who has problems with the installation and can make it and enjoy the final product of X8-H Plus with Lollipop with a running kodi 17.x a working YouTube, internet browser, sound etc.
    thank everybody

7. normy62

normy62 New Member

yes i would also line a step by step instructions so i dont make a mess of it
    after downloading the zip file and extracting it Burn card maker says the image is corrupted
    thank you

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  8. josehames

josehames New Member

download the image and flashing using USB Tools, I had no problem doing it and enjoy the rom

9. Ronaldsito

Ronaldsito New Member

I have never flashes before and I don't wanna make any mistakes.. Can you help me please?
    thanks.

10. FSadino

FSadino New Member

Any instructions to flash .img for linux users?

11. Marty

12. FSadino

FSadino New Member

@Marty

Already tried but no "aml_sdc_burn.UBOOT" file[/QUOTE]

13. MadasaBoxofTrolls

MadasaBoxofTrolls New Member

works great tanks man:)

14. ginandtonic

ginandtonic New Member

Everything installed Ok, but I have the same issue as Jacob Davies, no live streams in SPMC on Sports Devil addon unless you make the charges in settings that David Jacobs suggests.
    Also sound but no picture in movie addons (Neptune Rising, Covenant, etc..) not sure why...

15. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

Given no more SPMC releases, how did your Kodi 17.6 tests go?

16. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

The one setting that caused me a problem in your list was:- Set Adjust display refresh rate to Always

When I set this to Always it caused problems when playing streams, took a long time to start stream, no sound, codec info was displayed like on a very old VDU.

Leaving Set Adjust display refresh rate to Off, all runs very well.

Is there some other setting that has to be set, or may be conflicting with Set Adjust display refresh rate when it is set to Always??

17. Chairtmin

Chairtmin New Member

Hi Marty,
    if I understand correctly, main changes were done in boot.img file.
    Would it work, if I just flash boot.img file via ADB?
    I extracted it from your ROM and I wanted to give it a try.
    What do you think?

18. Marty

Yes that would work

19. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

Hi Marty,
    Been using your ROM for a few days now, quality and smoothness of live TV HD streams is amazing.
    Which version of SPMC did you include in your ROM, was it this version of SPMC-17.6a2-spmc-ed022ef-armeabi-v7a?
    Did you make any changes to the included SPMC?
    I am asking because I have tried SPMC-17.6a2-spmc-ed022ef-armeabi-v7a on other ROMs and didn't get the smooth playback that I am getting with your ROM.
    If you modified SPMC how would I be able to extract it from your ROM in the form of an apk that I could install on other Boxes/ROMs?

20. Marty

Top of the morning to you Jeffers24, I did not touch SPMC, I removed some of the code that Minix added into the init.rc in boot.img, this is what was causing the stutter.

You can download the latest (and last :cry:) SPMC here:
    http://download.semperpax.com/spmc/android-arm/SPMC-spmc-krypton-1f9a682-armeabi-v7a.apk