1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

MINIX Launcher – Customization Ideas

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by MINIX - John, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Miro007

Miro007 New Member

Hi minix. Can't get update, am using minix neo x8 h plus.
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Why are you posting here?
    Please post in the correct forum and give more details!
  3. Miro007

Miro007 New Member

Ooh sorry mistake of rules.
  4. N3DRO

N3DRO New Member

I think it would be cool to be able to just change the green part of the launcher to what ever color you want. Maybe an option in minix launcher settings. Also be able to use any wallpaper the user wants.

( i would be using it in a black/grey/blue combination)

Minix team- Can this be possible in firmware update in the future plz!!!
  5. pangster

pangster New Member

not sure MINIX developers know what a 'roadmap' is and they've certainly never heard of AGILE.. LOL.. we're stuck with the crappy icons and colour scheme regardless of whether we like it or not... meanwhile otter's i.e. myGICA release proper eye candy user customisable skins/GUI
    yudumcan likes this.
  6. yudumcan

yudumcan Member

I totally agree, developers and designers should work on agile environment and I think this GUI is the least customisable I've ever came across.
  7. Marm

Marm Member

One Word: RESOURCES

I am sure that the MINIX maintenance and development team have very limited resources and I would far rather they use their limited resources to fix bugs under the hood and make improvements to overall performance than make changes to a GUI that already is one of the best designs I have seen.

There are numerous other shells and GUIs that are fully customizable that you can run. I know in the case of the MINIX UI, you do not have to root your system to run one of them.

Like at least one other has said, I would love to have the default GUI fully customizable so I can resize, move or delete any of the tiles but I far rather have the development team producing valuble firmware updates. Rather than working on the GUI, I would rather have limited resources spent on a firmware update that permanently Roots the device while still leaving the online firmware updates working.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    midnight likes this.
  8. Gordon Hulbert

Gordon Hulbert New Member

I'm a newbie. Please be patient.:unsure: I've just had my X7 updated to latest firmware. I'm currently locked into the launcher under discussion. How do I switch to a standard Android homepage, with color background, weather and an array of icons? Also, when I go to Play Store, I can select an icon, but when I click on it all I get is a blank screen.
  9. cfraser

cfraser Member

Maybe some folders with optional titles/icons. Perhaps smaller fixed "folder squares" so there could be another row of these custom folders. Or if it takes too many resources to make them customizable, just another row of fixed folders with generic names/icons.

I appreciate the functional simplicity of the style of the MINIX boxes and home screen/launcher. But maybe we could have a choice of two main colors, to replace the standard green and gray. Or even a choice of one color, like gray and "something else". I can live with the green, but I'd probably go with something a little less bright.

Another thing that would be handy is if you pressed the "Home" key when you were already on the Home page, it took you to e.g. the upper left square folder, a home position. This way you'd have a "guaranteed"/known cursor position that's easily achieved, which would make it much easier to make keystroke or IR remote macros. And even for just general manual cursoring.

Edit: had a re-think when actually sitting in front of the U1...too many interfaces, too lousy a memory...
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  10. ChrisOsbakk

ChrisOsbakk New Member

New fully customable themes - like we can do in Kodi. My no 1 wish is to be able to change backgroun. no 2 is to change icons and colours and be able to organize the icons.
  11. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Just install another launcher from play store. I use Nova Launcher.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  12. ChrisOsbakk

ChrisOsbakk New Member

But Nova launcher makes the UI look like a regular android phone? That would just look boring..
  13. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

14. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

The whole point of a customisable launcher is that you make it look like however you want. So if it looks boring then that's your choice :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  15. Sebby64

Sebby64 New Member

someone knows any launcher with taskbar and desktop mode like that is in RemixOS ?
    MarsArtis likes this.
  16. dryster

dryster Active Member

I have just a few items on my wishlist for the Metro launcher.

A big power off/options button. I know I can add this using the + button at the bottom, but I would like a dedicated power button that blends well. This could be as simple as changing the icon for the power options app to a big green square so it does not look out of place in the lower left corner if added using the + button on the main scree,

The Kodi folder becomes a Kodi button. ie, so a single click to start. Again, I know there is a workaround.

That's it for two wishes. I don't think you should change it to be too customizable, we spend too much time fiddling with launchers and not enough enjoying the media!
  17. rosebud

rosebud Member

Could someone kindly explain how I could turn on my U1 and be able to boot to Kodi 16.1 or have it already booted ?

When I turn on the U1 I have some Android function screen displayed, sorry I am new. Thanks very much!
  18. dryster

dryster Active Member

This was from a previous post on this thread from @Yanni :

There is an app on Google play store "AutoStart - No root" its for free, download and install, open app and turn "on" autostart, select app to turn on, in your case "Kodi" and thats all..... every time you reboot/restart/turn-on minix box it will also start Kodi.
  19. rosebud

rosebud Member

@dryster thanks very much. I installed and setup as per previous post.

Now U1 boots so I can select select Kodi and not direclty to Kodi?

I don't know what changed but now when I start U1 it does boot directly to Kodi! Great! Thanks very much!
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    dryster likes this.
  20. dryster

dryster Active Member

Don't thank me, thank @Yanni