1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Minix NGC-1?

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Don Grimme, Jan 14, 2016.

1. RMP888

RMP888 New Member

thanks for posting the video, I am also in the "ready-to-use." category of purchaser who is focusing on getting be best out of Kodi as well, but I also like to tinker around with other windows apps and microsoft products, so looking forward to the being generally available
  2. Mimbrera

Mimbrera New Member

Waiting for the new Windows Minix here in Spain too...since October...

I haved saved enough for buying it. I don't want to use Android or Kodi. I prefer something easier and more powerful so I don't need a new one for a long time.
  3. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

Yes, in Kodi circles, it is Windows (or Linux) which is recommended over android. But things like NUCs and adapted Chromeboxes are not for me. The Z64 was in the right ballpark, but its lack of gigabit Ethernet or WiFi was a turnoff. It looks like this NGC-1 might be what I've been waiting for. And I certainly like the size of its RAM and drive. I'll be interested to see how it performs in tests and reviews. Tech Connect's was just an observation at CES and cnxlinux just unboxed it.
  4. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

I'll get the sub-forum for the NGC-1 set up in a minute.
    I received mine on wednesday, it's a REALLY nice little PC!
    As a PC gamer I personally need something with a beefy GPU but I think it is absolutely perfect for my family members who just want a PC that works out the box.
    I also think it would be the perfect PC for an office, it's silent, low power & doesn't take up anywhere near the space of even a micro atx based PC.
    I'm also in the process of pitching them to the company I work for.. we work in a very dusty environment and are replacing our desktop PCs yearly.

When I stop being lazy I will likely integrate it into my setup and use it as my main email/browsing PC & for overnight downloads.. A 900 watt PSU in my PC is a bit of overkill for coming into the MINIX forum ;)
  5. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

6. Mimbrera

Mimbrera New Member

New thread created.
  7. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

Thank you, GhOst! From now on, I'll post comments about the NGC-1 in that forum. Here I want to point out the very different context in which you and I view this device. You see it as a "computer" (which, of course, it is). For me, it would be a Kodi media center box attached to my HDTV and sound system, period. [Well, I would use the browser and file manager to support its media center functions.]
    Gh0st likes this.
  8. Jacquemo

Jacquemo New Member

I just bought an NGC - 1 and I cannot get it to display on 2 monitors. Any suggestions?
    Also It runs hot and after 2 hours begins to do crazy things and slow down. When I shut it down and let it cool it runs OK for anothe 2 hours. Any Suggestions?