1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Minix u1 Marshmallow

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Official Firmware Releases' started by joe smitherson555, Feb 5, 2017.

1. joe smitherson555

joe smitherson555 New Member

Well the u1 be upgraded to 6.0 marshmellow. One feature i like is the ability to make your sd card the main install. I know you can move some stuff using appmnger 3, but this doesnt work with everything and you can still have traces (data) left behind. This can fill up the small internal drive quickly. An internal drive could be 4gig if the unit has the ability to change the main drive to sd. Sd cards are very inexpensive and fast. I have a 64 gig sd card in mine but i cant transfer everything. Some apps move and some dont well marshmellow be available or is there an app i can get that well change my internal drive to sd or usb. I know there use to be one called internal2sd but it stopped working is there anything like that out there.

2. monologue

monologue New Member

This question has been asked a couple of times before. The NEO U1 will most likely stay on Android 5.1.1.

3. augur

augur Member

The technical reason why you can't install Android Marshmallow on the U1 is because the sdk doesn't support it.

In much more detail this box contains an Amlogic S905 SoC (System On Chip) for which Amlogic only released an sdk (Software Development Kit) for up to level 22. This level 22 corresponds to the Android API level, and 22 is Lollipop (Android 5.1.1). Where it gets confusing is that later models in the S9 family (S905X, S905L, S905D, and S912), which were released 12 months after the original S905, have an sdk of 23 so do support up to Marshmallow (Android 6.0.1)

boggiano likes this.
  4. me who

me who Member

How then does the Wetek on Amlogic S905-H revision C get Marshmallow? When you say can't does that really mean Minix won't but could release an "unsupported" version? I think an unsupported version that gets updates would be great!

5. augur

augur Member

I'd say it's more a case of (imho) definitely won't anytime soon, good chance they won't anytime in the future.

When the S905 was released back in Q2 2015 the Amlogic SDK only went up to Lollipop (5.1). Developers didn't get access to the Amlogic Android 6.0 Marshmallow SDK until late in Q1 2016, by which point the S905 had already been out for a year. Whilst that doesn't prevent developers creating a Marshmallow based firmware for the S905 that SoC can be considered 'last generation' and developers unsurprisingly would tend to concentrate their limited resources on newer devices. When you then add in the problems with running (specifically) Kodi Kryton but also previous versions and forks on Marshmallow on Amlogic devices (which is still delaying the release of the U9) you can understand why the developers want to get everything working right with Marshmallow on the newest SoCs before even thinking about going back to older SoCs.

Frankly having stable Lollipop firmware on the U1 with a stable version of XBMC for Minix is vastly preferable to any newer buggy setup.

dryster, skynet, MarsArtis and 2 others like this.
  6. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

Of course, IF they decide to move to the next OS, NOUGAT would make more sense than moving to MARSHMALLOW now. The only true benefit from OS 6 or OS 7 is the expansion of the internal storage via an SD Card. I've fed that back to Minix via Amazon when they asked me to review their NEO U1. Will they upgrade? That's up to them and their business model. But as Augur has already stated, a fully stable 5.1.1 and XBMC from a product out of the box point of view is far better than a buggy OS6 or 7 that crashes.

sangaz, David_Cole and kingsizept like this.
  7. augur

augur Member

Amlogic haven't even released an Android 7.0 Nougat SDK yet so unfortunately the only game in town is Marshmallow for getting AudioTrack v23 working so there is firmware support for Kodi Krypton.

https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-krypton-release-candidate-1/
    2016-09-29

8. decosse

decosse New Member

I believe it is released now

9. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken Former MINIX Team Member Administrator

S905 has only one SDK - 5.1

S905X (the cost down version) has 7.1 SDK.

They are 2 chips so don't mix up...
    Don't ask me why the cheaper cost down chip got a newer SDK,
    I don't know the answer (feeling embarrassed but it's true).

Lock likes this.
  10. Kondor

Kondor Member

released Android 6.0.1 frimware for (S905 box). It is fully like (S912) now. And it is smooth.

- Refresh rate for Kodi 17+, ViMu Player, Plex, Archos, etc.
    - Support refresh rates: 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 59.94, 60 Hz.
    - HD audio passthrough in Kodi 17+.
    - Wake up from any USB remote (remote with USB reciever / keyboard / mouse).
    - Video zoom (zoom and crop in MX Player) support.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
    Elvis and imeDB like this.
  11. MINIX - Ken

No Marshmallow SDK for S905 (non-X).
    Refer to: http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox

Message edited to remove info about other brands.

12. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

Ken, I was wondering why my m7 HTC One can install 7.1.1 without a new SDK, yet the NEO U1 does? My phone is running sweet as a nut in terms of a daily ROM. It never crashes.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

13. Kondor

Kondor Member

Also Wetek released WeOS 3.1 (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) for threir boxes Hub and Play 2 — S905.

And is is API level 23 (Android 6 SDK).

14. MINIX - Ken

It's not official SDK, we don't want to go that way.

15. ruiumbelino

ruiumbelino New Member

You need to put that info on product page, because buy a "new" product that has this limitation...

boodykaka likes this.
  16. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Well-Known Member

Got to agree with Ken here - unless MINIX want to do a bunch of AML SDK, time consuming backport custom coding (like WeTek did) then Lollipop is the only officially AMLogic supported SDK for the S905 U1.

Basically it looks like AMLogic screwed over S905 Android device sellers to try and "persuade" them into buying new S905X and S912 Chips for Android OS upgrades and ongoing SDK support. (someone had to say it !)

Backporting ties up developers resources and the cost / benefit may not even be worth it for MINIX when you already have a shiny new Marshmallow S912 U9-H on sale in the market. ;)

Good thing LibreELEC Kodi Krypton works so nicely on AML S905 devices, running entirely from a SD card. So at least users still have Kodi options.

And to help S05 U1 users installing LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - Click HERE and follow section (d)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    kingsizept and JJ-KwiK like this.
  17. Lock

Lock Member

Then I guess we can't have a good version of Kodi, as it officially dropped the Amcodec support. :(

18. kingsizept

kingsizept Member

19. Lock

Lock Member

Yeah, installed LibreElec and now I'm happy again.

kingsizept likes this.
  20. MINIX - Ken

The main main main reason is: U1 is great (not I'm saying this, I am being told about this) and most users are very satisfied with it.
    We have absolutely zero interest to take risks porting things to make it probably worse than what it is now.

CybeRider and kingsizept like this.