1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Minix u1 Marshmallow

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Official Firmware Releases' started by joe smitherson555, Feb 5, 2017.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken Former MINIX Team Member Administrator

That's a very nice option too.

kingsizept likes this.
  2. John dejevij

John dejevij New Member

I would always prefer improved app compatibilty for the apps mentioned in the related thread above a port to Android "whatever" just for the sake of KODI.

Lock and Villa like this.
  3. Lock

Lock Member

Well, in all honesty I would prefer *much more* to have a TV box I could use with official OS instead of third party one. If I wanted to do that I could have bought a much cheaper chinese TV box.
    I bought U1 to watch movies and, so far, I still didn't find a way to watch 100% of the ones in my library with one of the provided apps. :(

Ricki and kingsizept like this.
  4. marck120

marck120 New Member

Hi, I wanted to ask if the Minix u1 will be upgraded to Marshmallow ? Which box android do you recommend to use with libreelec ?

5. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Just go to page 1 of this thread @MINIX - Ken stated no it wont be upgraded
    Ive been running LibreElec for about a year on Minix U1 without any trouble on SD card
    this box just works (for me)

6. marck120

marck120 New Member

Thanks a lot for the reply, very kind, I read the thread but I wanted confirmation, unfortunately I do not speak English, I translate it with google. I was thinking of getting a more updated box, updated to the android 6.0 and maybe with hdr vp9 support. Are there alternatives to minix u1 ? I'm looking for a box with good construction quality. I was advised not to take a box with s912 cpu for libreelec.

7. Lock

Lock Member

Marck, in my opinion, to use with LibreElec, any Android box is ok. I tested U1 with LibreElec and it works perfectly but, if I have to sacrifice Android for that, I'll surely buy something much cheaper than a Minix.
    I think the best option is to go to LibreElec forum and ask there which device is better. U1 works great, but it's way to expensive only for LibreElec. :)

kingsizept likes this.
  8. marck120

marck120 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I agree the cost of the minix u1 is high, maybe it's wasted to use it with LibreElec, but the minix u1 has a good quality of construction, wifi is great, internal memories are fast, and Kit has a good remote control. The problem is that the s905 does not have vp9 support and the minix will not be updated to Marshmallow, many apps are no longer compatible with android 5.1. I have recommended the Beelink Mini MXIII II but the minix u1 is superior, the minix hardware is great. If I choose a box I always have to buy the minix A2 lite remote control. Personally what box advises me ?

9. Lock

Lock Member

On the hardware side Minix is a very good brand. So, if money is not a problem for you, go for the U1 with no regrets. :)
    Since I use Android also for other apps I can't sadly install LibreElec (I have on a USB stick, however, for emergency).

10. marck120

marck120 New Member

Thanks for the advice, LibreElec I have to install it on a micro SD memory, the minix u1 as hardware is great, the problem is that the s905 is now old, it is a cpu outdated, even android 5.1 has now been replaced by marshmallow and nougat . The minix u1 is an excellent but up to date device. I was thinking of taking a box with the cpu s905x, android 6.0 , do you know some quality android boxes with these features ?

11. Lock

Lock Member

By my side I agree U1 is great, on the hardware. On the multimedia side is not, I've never had a really 100% stable version of Kodi so far. And now that Kodi dropped support for U1 hardware (or libraries used, I'm not very expert about this) we users are left on our own. That's why I keep hoping you'll change your mind soon or later (especially because you already did with other devices).
    But of course decision is your, I can just take note of it for my future purchases. :)

Err... I think I replied to the wrong post (however that's my thought on this matter).

For Marck120: Sorry, I can't help you. I'm sticking with U1 until Kodi will land on some other device I use (Xbox One, Apple TV,...).

12. marck120

marck120 New Member

@Lock

Thank you anyway, a similar situation happened to me. 20 months ago I took a smartphone zuk z1, the phone was completely abandoned, the support is non-existent, in fact it is still stand'android 5.1, telling the truth I'm no longer interested but I think it will never be updated to the android 6.0 . About the minix now it is worth investing in something more and taking the U9. Thanks again for everything.

13. Lock

Lock Member

Yes but keep in mind that, if Minix won’t update the U1, it would probably be the same with the U9. Go for a company that keeps supporting their devices, in the years.

14. marck120

marck120 New Member

Thanks for the information, I would not know which is the best company that updates the products over the years.

15. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

They have to draw the line somewhere. The U1 has received many updates and it is my preferred device. :)
    Every device can't continue to receive updates!

The U9-H will be updated to Android N
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/bugtracker-for-neo-u9-h-fw006.17462/page-15#post-142433

16. marck120

marck120 New Member

Thanks for the information, you really can not upgrade a device forever, but it's a shame that u1 does not get at least marshmallow. In the end it's not a big deal, maybe in the future, I'm currently thinking that all apps are compatible with lollipop.

The U9-H unfortunately is not compatible with libreelec. The s912 cpu still has several problems with libreelec.

17. Jordihs

Jordihs New Member

ruiumbelino likes this.