1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Minix X8-H - Finless Lollipop ROM 1.0

Discussion in 'X8-H & X8/Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by Finless, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Finless

Finless Member Dev Group

Hey all... Been a awhile since I did a ROM [​IMG]

This is for the Minix NEO-X8H (not the X8H-Plus).

PLEASE NOTE:
    After first boot let the box settle down for about 1 minute. Then reboot it using the power menu. Do not try to use the box without this reboot as there "can" be some stability problems.
    I tried to solve this problem but it has to do with the building of the dalvik cache in /data that is built on first boot after a ROM flash.

I am not going to say a lot about it but here are the features.
    It's Pre-rooted but after first boot you need to run the Superuser APP as it needs to run at least once before using rooted APPS.
    Even though I updated the SU binary in the ROM, the SU APP still says it needs to do that.

It's totally debloated! And I mean DEBLOATED! I did this to have this box just be for playing videos, KODI, etc.
    For me it runs Kodi 17.x great!
    This ROM is super-fast... After first boot, boots after that are super-fast... You almost don’t get time to watch the boot animation [​IMG]

I did some other tweaks for memory and video performance. Kind of my usual tweaks I have always done.

This is a IMG and flashed via the USB Flash Tool.
    Do not ask for a update.zip as I just do not have time to do it. The new ZIP architecture is a PITA and takes a lot of time which I do not have.

Here is the download link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9BFwCzfMWZ8YkRuOUJNdjNuNEk

Enjoy,
    Bob
    deebee, Davie_b, datrh and 2 others like this.
  2. Daniel Gordon

Daniel Gordon New Member

Hello Bob,

I would like to know if the ROM is tested and in case some support is needed if you will be available.
    Second, if the ROM won't work or if I won't be happy with it, it will be possible to go back to the original ROM?

Thank you for your time,
    Daniel

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
  3. Argyrios

Argyrios Member

Hi, Bob

Kudos, this is the fastest ROM I have ever seen!
    Ethernet is damn fast!
    Also Kodi 18 Alpha is working fine!

Many thanks. And please, please, please...build the same for X8H-Plus...!!!!
  4. garbanzito

garbanzito New Member

Installation instructions? What software versions are used?
  5. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Flash the ROM image as you would the official MINIX firmware.
  6. random9

random9 New Member

Hi Bob,
    I'm excited to see some progress on this box! Thank You for your work!

I recently flashed the probox lollipop firmware to the box and spent time setting it up, so I'm a little hesitant to just start over and try this one without knowing a little more. Would you share a few details on this firmware (besides what you mentioned in the first post). Here are a few gaps I found in the probox firmware that would be good to compare to this one:
    • the box thinks it's a probox, not minix so the minix airpin pro app for airplay does not recognized it as registered
    • the blue LED on the minix box does not work with the probox firmware
    • the original probox firmware needed to manually updated the minix remote conf
  7. dabourb

dabourb New Member

@Finless, Thanks for all your hard work in these android communities... Just wondering if this would work or the X8 Plus and X8 as well? (I know this isn't for the X8-H Plus)

Cheers!
  8. Villa

zeevg likes this.
  9. Finless

Finless Member Dev Group

Yes X8-H Plus is coming next!

Bob
    kingsizept and Villa like this.
  10. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Looking forward to this as my U1 with your rom is running just great
    Thanks @Finless for your great work
  11. Villa

12. Finless

Finless Member Dev Group

I have not tested Airpin on this ROM as I do not use it, but it should work. I do not know how Airpin is checking if it is a Minix device but if it is using build.prop, it should work. If it is using init or something then possibly not.
    Let me know as I am sure I can solve it in the end.

Bob
  13. roy1234

roy1234 Member

What would be best for lollipop and good stable kodi this or ProBox2-ex" firmware.

Is there any known bugs with this method?
  14. raston

raston New Member

Got it... installed... works great... Question... How can I get Netflix running. I installed the custom Netflix_v5.3.1_HD.apk, but it doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thx..... :)
  15. Chrisjuh

Chrisjuh New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the rom. I have found a bug for the x8-h. The jack audio is not working in this rom.

Regards,

Christian
  16. sting20

sting20 New Member

hey. this rom will work on Minix X8?? i will thank your answer . tnx for your work!!
  17. enito

enito New Member

Hi, i little newbie question, is better run kodi using native libreelec or try using via this rom kodi? i want the best perfomance for kodi. thx!!!
  18. Igorian

Igorian New Member

Hi,
    I've just tested this "Finless" super-fast rom. As for me it's not really super-fast. Same as usual.
    Market, SuperSu, FileManager, Lancher, MinixLancher, are installed only. Build.prop changed as Minix. Animation disabled.
    Minix keys work ОК.

Major problems:
    1) direct Kodi-17.5 AC3/DTS pass-through does not work (only works as PCM output)
    2) front blue led light is dead forever.
    3) some minor Kodi-17.5 video problems are present - some internet video streams 1080/720p (h264) have noticeable breaks.
    4) if soft keys enabled and pressed - you can get sudden interface error.
    5) troubles with Lancher.apk - freezes and does not allow to put app icon into bottom line.
    6) if task panel enabled (not hidden by settings) - a part of screen is gone.
    7) Play Market can not check/certify the device, but works ОК with some warnings about possible incompatibility.
    8) Some problems with apps - for example - Speedtest app - buttons not working.

Good issues:
    1) HLS IPTV streams at 1080/720p works fine with KODI 17.5 as well as SPMC
    2) SPMC - no breaks, works very good.
    3) SuperSu pre-installed
    4) CIFS can be easily mounted.
    5) Nice wallpaper!)))

Regards,
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    random9 and identity77 like this.
  19. butsch

butsch New Member

Hi!
    Thanks for the new ROM!
    It is very smoothy to navigate through the system, but unfortunately i don´t have any sound via HDMI. I have already tried some settings but have no solution for the problem.
    Does anyone have a tip for me?
  20. sting20

sting20 New Member

i have the same problem.

Bob tnx for the rom i burned it on Minix X8.works fine.super fast.
    i suffered from some bugs like the sound and kodi/applications crashing. do you going to update this rom version??

i will thank your answer.

sting20