1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

BUG!! Minix X8H Plus Bricked

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by Shriharsha, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Shriharsha

Shriharsha Member

Hi All
    My X8H Plus of two years suddenly packed up. While watching Youtube recently, it said shutting down and closed. After that, numerous attempts to boot failed and the machine was stuck on the MINIX logo. I tried reflashing the latest software using the USB stick method by entering recovery mode. But, this failed with the message corrupt cache or some thing similar. Next, I tried a clean install after a factory reset using the USB burning tool method. Multiple laptops, USB cables, USB burning tool versions and firmware versions (including the early 002/003) have not enabled me to get the machine up and running. The update always gets stuck at 6% showing some kind of boot sector error. Now, there is just a blank screen with no android/minix logo being visible on the monitor.

Any help would be highly appreciated as I have a couple of extremely disappointed kids owing to large number of games and Kodi videos that are essentially not accessible.

Cheers
    Harsha
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

3. zoony

zoony New Member

Hi all. I have been a viewer of the site for a while and I have always found what I needed to know here but I am stuck on this one I am afraid.
    I have the same issue with an X8-H plus ..... blank screen, no logo.
    It happened when I tried to update to Lollipop. It crashed at 15% originally and now crashes at 6% with an 0x30404004 error on every build I try.
    I tried the above but I cannot even get into recovery mode, nothing, nada.
    The only reaction I can get from my box is when it connects to the burning tool.
    Are there any other options?

Cheers
    Zoony
  4. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/flash-x8-h-plus-firmware-from-sd-card-using-burncardmaker.16646/
  5. zoony

zoony New Member

Thank you very much Villa. I will give it a go.
  6. Shriharsha

Shriharsha Member

7. Shriharsha

Shriharsha Member

8. Shriharsha

Shriharsha Member

9. zoony

zoony New Member

Same as Shriharsha I'm afraid.
  10. Marty

Marty Active Member

See if you can boot into TWRP recovery, let me know if you can and then you can try manually formatting partions, sounds like something has corrupted them.

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-x8-h-plus-twrp-recovery.17074/
  11. zoony

zoony New Member

Hi and thanks for the reply. Up until half an hour ago I could boot into TWRP but I think I clicked on 'wipe data' or something (it was in a youtube video) and now recovery boots into the screen in the pic
    IMG_3131.JPG
  12. zoony

zoony New Member

Ah, not entirely true. I booted with TWRP and a file named X8H_PLUS_Abdul_1.0.zip then I go this .... I think. My brain is mashed now.
  13. Marty

Marty Active Member

I've had the same before, my solution was to use TWRP to format the cache to EXT3 and then back to EXT4.
  14. Marty

Marty Active Member

Step away from the machine One tends to screw things up worse the more desperate one becomes.

The only thing you want to try is booting into TWRP off an SD Card, don't try flashing anything for now, once into TWRP you want to go to Wipe/Advanced Wipe select Cache and then click on Repair or Change File System. Next click on Change File System and then choose EXT3, repeat the process again but choose EXT4.

I would suggest doing this for:
    Dalvik / ART Cache
    Cache
    System
    Data

Once you have formatted all these with EXT3 and back to EXT4 I would try either the USB Burning Tool or Burncard method to flash RC2 back on the box.
  15. zoony

zoony New Member

Schoolboy error. Forgot to rename TWRP to 'recovery.img'.
    I have done it for Cache and it now comes back with 'Successful' at the top of the screen but also

'Updating Partition Details ...
    Failed to mount '/cache' (Invalid argument)
    Failed to mount '/data' (Invalid argument)
    ... done
    Unable to mount storage

Is this right? It's not what I expected.
  16. Marty

Marty Active Member

Yes, it's normal, try flashing Lollipop now via USB Burning Tool and see if it still fails. If it does, go back to TWRP and format all the partitions I suggested
  17. zoony

zoony New Member

USB Burning Tool failed again at 6%. I have gone back into TWRP and formatted all the suggested partitions except for Dalvick/ART cache which will not let me do it. It comes up as 'invalid partition selection'.
  18. Marty

Marty Active Member

I'm afraid I don't have any further suggestions, I would have to assume it is a hardware failure.
  19. zoony

zoony New Member

No worries. Many thanks for the info you gave anyway. I have learned a lot which is a good thing.
    Marty likes this.
  20. Marty

Marty Active Member