1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Beta Release MINIX XBMC 17.4 Beta

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX Releases' started by SaEt9000, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

I don't think there will ever be a final version of Kodi/XBMC. :confused:
    It appears to always be evolving!

midnight likes this.
  2. Viggen66

Viggen66 Member

What are the advantages of xbmc 17 over 16 besides the number and skin?

3. blizzard

blizzard Member

4. Villa

5. blizzard

blizzard Member

Haven't installed any of these, so... but now it makes sense.
    Looking forward for the one built form the final 17.4, ty! :)

6. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

The CPU usage is far lower compared to Kodi's official build. I have the official 17.4 installed on my 2 U1's. Both suffer from crashing whilst playing a TV show etc. It jumps out of what you're watching and then goes back to TV Show Season folder. So if I watch season 13 but using ALL SEASONS, it stops and jumps back to Epsiode 1 of Season 1. I've tried to understand what causes this and perhaps it's because the Official Kodi doesn't contain all the ARM code necessary to keep it stable.

Anyone else tried and tested the Official compared to this and found the same results.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  7. Lock

Lock Member

I can't find an official thread about the new (15 Aug) 17.4 XBMC beta release, so here's one.

While I find it pretty reliable, I want to report a problem with some video formats.

For example this one (Space 1999 S02E03):

[​IMG]

With official Play Store Kodi release (that have some problems on other video formats, due to dropped support to amlogic) it works well (ignore colors, it's a tv screen shot):

[​IMG]

Instead, with XBMC beta (alpha got the same issue) I hear audio but video is an LSD trip, like a kaleidoscope of poligonal shapes running around:

[​IMG]

This video format always worked well with previous XBMC (16-) versions.

8. Villa

9. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

I can't be sure, but the codec is DIVX and that isn't supported any more because anyone who wishes to use the codec has to pay a fee for licensing. The best way is to either convert the files to h264 and use settings to keep the same quality or there was a utility that changed the information in the file from DIVX to XVID and that solves the problem.

10. Lock

Lock Member

Oops, my bad! :)

Yes, that's a valid point. However, since the official Kodi 17.4 still plays them correctly, I think it's still a bug in XBMC version. Unless Minix removed it on purpose because of licensing fees. But in that case it should just state it can't play, instead of playing it weird.

11. Lock

Lock Member

Update: I've just checked the video files with Visual AVI fourCC Changer, that lets you change the "codec name" and I see they're already marked as "XVID" [not correct, it was marked as "DIV3", got confused by german interface, but even changing it to XVID nothing changed], so I don't think it's a license problem.

On the other side I noticed that Play Store Kodi version plays h265 correctly, despite the fact Amlogic support seems dropped. But it still hangs on some h264 video, so it's still not reliable.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  12. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

Well DIVX is a slightly different codec to XVID, however they are pretty much the same thing. There are tools that change the name in the container from DIVX to XVID. No sooner you do that, it will play as it should or at least on my Mede8er 1000X3D it did. That's why I know the utility exists. Now I just rip discs in h264 only or h265. XVID is so bad and full of compression artefacts that most people have moved on. Not to mention that AVI is crap too. Again I only rip using either MKV or MP4.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

13. Lock

Lock Member

Yes, I also have the same Mede8er model (it was my previous main one) and I always had to do that game because they were too stingy to pay DIVX rights. That's why I don't buy Mede8er stuff anymore. :D

I know DIVX/XVID are old and bad formats, but the Space 1999 episodes I have were recorded many years ago from TV, and they're already so bad quality it's not worth the effort to convert them again. Still official Kodi plays them correctly, that's why I reported this as a bug.

14. Marco Nunes

Marco Nunes Member

Does this version support autoframe switching? (24p etc...)

15. John Hedgecoe

John Hedgecoe New Member

Actually, no it is NOT the best option. I get excessive stuttering with Kodi. XBMC works far better for me, at least this beta release does anyway. To me, Kodi is unusable. YMMV.

16. Villa

FWIW I don't see any issues using Kodi 17.4 or with Kodi 17.3 before!
    I have it installed via the Play Store with all Default settings.

Not sure either what @shmbenisra means by "don't start with airmouse" ? Again I don't see any issue!

17. Lock

Lock Member

Usually yes but, for example, I've a h264 movie that plays well on XBMC and freezes my U1 on official Kodi. I've to remove the power connection. :\

So far the only Kodi version working 100% is the OpenElec one, but it's not practical to reboot my U1 every time I need to watch a movie.

18. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

I know! Plus not to mention removing all the other functionality of the TV Box in the process. Don't get me wrong, if I bought a cheap TV Box for the kids, OpenElec/LibreELEC is a very good solution for TV/Movies for them.

Lock likes this.
  19. SaEt9000

SaEt9000 Member

yes, on my U1 autoframe switching works. It works with SPMC 17.4 alpha as well.

Nevertheless - the audio/video synch problem ist still there (in minix xbmc 17.4 beta and SPMC ...). Keep waiting on the next version(s).

SaEt9000

20. Toc

Toc New Member

For me 17.4 downloaded over my previous version OK.

My problem live TV Stutters and out of sync. I played with the video settings and changed Accelerate MPEG 2,4,H264,HEV to never.

CBSN played good and several others also. BBC and ITV no picture,turned accelerate H264back to always and still slow to come on but better.

I am not very good with this tech stuff but will continue to play with the video settings.