1. Official MINIX forum

Missing option

Discussion in 'Development' started by Skinamp, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

Hi there,

my previous mediaplayer was an Hyundai r3150s, this player was able to browse trough directories
    and showing the content of it, no matter if picture, music or movie.... So i was able to store movie
    information (screen capture .jpg of for example the movie database) and showing this information
    without going back to the root of the player to change mediatype to "pictures".

This means the hyundai was able to choose what action had to be taken by file extension.
    In Kodi i browse trough my directories and see only the files that my selected mediatype
    reconizes.

I hope i expressed myself in such way that you understand what i mean ?

Maybe it's possible to let Kodi show all files in a directory and
    let Kodi select the correct action for the selected filetype.

Grtz

P.S.
    MiniX and Kodi together is the best thing since the Hyundai :)
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

I don't know if that is possible in Kodi but I don't think so.
    But what you are describing is a file manager or file explorer so just use ES File Explorer to browse your files, when you click on an image/video/music file it will give you a list of apps with which to open it, so you can select which one you want. You can also select a default app for each file type.
    Skinamp likes this.
  3. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

Hi Higgs,

ES file Explorer runs under android, what should i select as standard action : "kodi" ?

Of course i can select VLC for audio / video and Gallery for pictures but that's not what i want. I like to only use Kodi....

Gesendet von meinem C6903 mit Tapatalk
  4. Higgs

I'm not sure what you mean. The U1 (I'm assuming thats the Minix box you have) is android so all the apps are android apps (incl Kodi, Es File Explorer......)
    Yes, if that's the app you want to use
  5. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

Yes, that's correct. Only i think "wil try that tomorrow" i can 't select kodi as the default action. Under android its no problem to select an Standard action , under kodi i don' t know how....

6. Higgs

I think you are confusing Kodi with android. Android is the operating system. Kodi is an android app just like any other android apps like VLC. Es file explorer, MX player, Netflix etc etc

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
  7. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

No i know how it works
    The Problem is that i use Kodi ofcourse on my Android miniX box and kodi as Mediaplayer doesnt realy know how to handle file extensions. It only shows picture files or music files or movie files. As i already wrote , i always have to go back to the root to select a different filetype, this takes to long....

8. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

I think the problem is that you don't know enough about Kodi and how to set it up for your needs. It isn't so simple at first, but once you find all the relevant info it can all fall in to place! :)
  9. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

I wont deny that i am a Beginner with kodi, hope you are right about the rest..

Thnx

10. Villa

11. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

I will take a look at that, thnx for the link. Anyway selecting kodi to be the default app as Higgs meant , wont work, it just starts kodi, not the movie or the music.

Thnx for all reactions!

12. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

Oké, i looked at the links, those subjects are not a problem for me... I start believing you guys are trying to help me, but do not really understand what i mean.

With my Hyundai "mediaplayer" i am able to add files to libraries, browse and open contents of network storage, folders and external drives. When i browse into a 'for example' folder of my NAS then my media player shows All files that are in this folder and automaticly selects the correct action when i doubleclick a file.

This way i'm not forced to go back to the root to select pictures or movies or music, when i am at a specific folder it's faster to open files if you can switch without leaving this folder.

13. Villa

Skinamp likes this.
  14. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

Hi Villa,

I don't wannabe, a pain in the.... but this isn't what i want. You start by knowing what you want to do and select add video source, than you complete the whole procedure. I usually work backwards :)

I browse one of my harddrives filled with movies, each movie is stored in a separate folder
    containing an picture (Screenshot) with movie Information.

I scroll (with my Mediaplayer and not with an filemanager) trough those folders and when i find a moviename that attracts me i open the folder, doubleclick on the picture file and my Mediaplayer opens the picture, i read it, close the picture and then i can doubleclick the movie or select the VIDEO_TS folder and push the play button.

This means that the Mediaplayer behaves like a Filemanager... And its fast.

Adding files as in the tutorial is oké, only you have to know whitch movie you want to see or accept the provided movie info.

15. Paradox

Paradox New Member

Sorry if I've misunderstood the issue, however, once you add the network shares as a video source, you should be able to see them under the Video->files menu. This menu lets you browse them like a file system. This is how I tend to use Kodi rather than using the library that Kodi generates. You may not be able to open the image this way (never tried this).
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Skinamp and Villa like this.
  16. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

Hi Paradox, you didn't misunderstoud this issue, i browse trough video Add-ons if i want to view movies with f.e. Exodus. For movies on nas or harddisk i also use the >files menu, or the library. Anyway the file menu only shows files that are known as video related, NO picture or textfiles are showen.... Exactly that's my problem

17. Villa

Have you tried thumbnail view?
  18. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

Yes, no picture files are showen.
    I think that's really an missing option. When Videos is selected, Kodi ONLY shows video files.
    Maybe its done to make building a library possible, i don't know...

19. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

@Skinamp: Let me see if I got your point: you have some storage devices (NAS, HDD etc) where you have:
    1. folders & subfolders with video files (different file formats, each movie in its own subfolder) + jpg file with movie description + a txt file with more details about the movie

Is this what you would like to see (screenshot from Kodi, using Exodus add-on as an example - I don't have on my laptop some movie files to show you exactly)?
    upload_2016-4-11_16-39-32.png
    @Villa shown you above how to add in Kodi a network source. You will need then to set a movie scrapper add-on, so that it will fetch info about your movies from sites like IMDb, TMDb etc.
    Have a look here also for more info: http://kodi.wiki/view/Set_content_and_scan, http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Universal_Movie_Scraper, http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:The_Movie_Database

2. you have folders/subfolders with picture files only: using also Kodi, you can simply add the path to your folder/folders and then see them in Kodi and give a name to that path
    upload_2016-4-11_16-56-41.png
    3. Similar for video music or music only files (like mp3)

4. If you want only a general file explorer, then the pre-installed ES File Explorer is a good one. You can associate to each file type an app to open it.

But I guess your question was mainly addressing points 1-3 above.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  20. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

Hi adi_tca, no this is not what i'm looking for. I'll try to add a moviecapture for download to show what i mean...
    grtz