1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

X8-H Need help to update

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by Joe, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

Hi All,

my X8-H is still factory version with no updates and recently decided to upgrade as i have been having a few issues particularly with XBMC and sound. So i have been going round in circles on the forum and found that you can update OTA, which when I try I always get no updates available screen.

In short i would like to update to the latest firmware without loosing my existing data can anyone advise or point me to the correct forum/instructions.

thanks
  2. TresManos

TresManos New Member

Why no replies ppl??
  3. Joe

Joe New Member

TresManos i figured i was ignored so just didn't bother and left as is. but glad someone picked up the none replies....cheers
  4. mark2

mark2 Active Member

5. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

It is not possible to keep your existing data!

The best option is to flash a full system image with USB flashing tool and a PC
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=X8_X8PLUS_X8H_FW009.rar
    MD5 checksum: 5ff2182fc32fd13284ce5cff93be513f

Guide:
    http://minixforum.com/threads/how-to-flash-firmware-image-x6-x8-series.116/

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x8-x8-plus-x8-h-official-firmware-009-20160324.11938/
  6. Joe

Joe New Member

Thanks both for pointing me towards the correct direction, so in short need to lose data which probably not worth the upgrade for me. cheers response truly appreciated
  7. Villa

Which data?
    It just means you need to install your apps again and enter any login details.
    For Kodi/XBMC, make a backup!

But if you are happy with your current setup then leave it alone!

You say you are having issues with XBMC. Which version?

MINIX XBMC latest version...
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=MINIX_XBMC_V16.3_20160911.apk

Have you tried Kodi or SPMC?
  8. Joe

Joe New Member

I am running the original Minix Xbmc and the issues i have are good add-ons no longer working in xbmc and they simply fail to re-install, I also regularly lose sound on start up, and need to re-boot the box to get sound back. Will try to at least update Minix XBMC only if it's possible. Thanks all for your replies btw re data it's just xbmc data which i sort of don't want to lose.
  9. Villa

For XBMC you can use the Backup Add-on...
    http://kodi.wiki/view/add-on:backup

Another option is to copy the entire XBMC folder, (Android, data, hk.minix.xbmc) to an SD card, HDD or USB drive.
    It can then be copied back later.
  10. Joe

Joe New Member

Thanks mate much obliged
  11. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

And what is that "factory firmware version" that you have? Can you, please, check the Build Number (this one can tell us which firmware release you have) and post it here? There maybe options to keep your data.
    When it comes to 3rd party Kodi (or XBMC, or MinixXBMC) add-ons, these can come and go, depending if their developers are still maintaining them or not ( I assume you are referring to non official Kodi/XBMC add-ons).

Cheers
  12. Joe

Joe New Member

will check and advise but definitely one of the very first. RE add-ons correct particularly Phoenix which just went dead and cannot re-install, whilst I can do this on another box and PC version. As for data I went through the details only issue is XBMC add-ons as the rest i can re-install easily. Will revert. thanks mate
  13. adi_tca

@Joe, even if you will have to flash the latest available firmware release, case where you will loose all your aps, you can easily (re) install Kodi or MinixXBMC plus the addons, like Phoenix.
    You can also backup your Kodi addons, either by using another addon, or by copying your userdata folder to a stick. Though it's better to start fresh...:)
  14. Joe

Joe New Member

Noted, will probably start fresh, i guess after a couple of years its worth the effort. Thanks to all that responded gives you comfort that if anything goes wrong someone will be available to help :) cheers
  15. adi_tca

You have the links & flashing instructions in @Villa's post #7 (for the firmware) above and #9 (for the Kodi back-up add-on, in case you may want to back-up your Kodi add-ons) above.

Good luck ;)
  16. Joe

Joe New Member

thanks again mate will definitely go for the latest firmware and re-install xbmc add-ons will let you guys know once completed cheers
  17. TresManos

TresManos New Member

Latest firmware installed. I can still put Minix to sleep with short press power butten on Air-Mouse.
    Waking it up with same button, as before update, doesnt work. Anybody have a solution?