1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

FAQ Need help with external hard disk - exFat

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by sidhu, Jun 12, 2016.

1. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Hi guys,

I have my new Minix Neo U1 delivered yesterday and i am setting it up right now. First of all updated to the latest firmware (again and again till i have the latest one)

Right now my biggest problem is its not recognising my external hard disks.
    I have 2 external hard disks (both 1.5 TB) which are partitioned to four exFAT drives. I cant change this to any other formats because i have a lot of data within these and i am using a MAC for my day to day activities (so no NTFS at all). When i plug in the hard disk ES explorer pops up but when i click on the drive, it says it OTG file format is not supported (something similar - couldn't read completely because it just disappear in second and not coming up again).

Actually i freed one drive in one hard disk and did a complete reformatting of one partition and reconnected but nothing happened. I reformatted to FAT32 as well but again same result. I cant reformat the complete hard disk but can only play around with one partition nothing more.

I am really disappointed with this because i did a lot of reading before this and most people said it supports all the formats. If this is not working i need to return the device :( and need to go for something like a Nvidia Shield ). Please advice somehow i can fix this. :(:(

Regards,
    Sidhu

talatoss likes this.
  2. sidhu

sidhu New Member

There is a small update -

Luckly i had a USB stick( 2GB ) lying around which i formatted to FAT32 and connected to minix and it worked.
    Then i reformatted it to exFAT and then reconnected but no luck. It says failed to open the file. So i think this is clearly an issue with exFAT.

Then i am in real trouble.

Regards,
    Sidhu

eastp likes this.
  3. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

I've just done exactly what you did, format a 2GB USB stick to exFAT, and it works just fine! :)

4. sidhu

sidhu New Member

But its not working for me. I really don't know what to do :censored:

What too are you using to format the drive?
    I am using normal Disk utility in the Mac for formatting.

5. Villa

Windows 10 quick format.

6. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Does the partitioned external hard disk also works for you? (if you tried) I tried with my WD hard disk as well as Toshiba all formatted to exFAT nothing is recognised. So far no luck.

How to get the official support from Minx. Is it through their Hong Kong mail id?

7. Villa

Never tried as I have a NAS. Also I use NTFS for anything plugged direct!

While messing about with this 2GB USB stick formatted to exFAT, I thought I would try erasing it from within the Android settings and found that after the erase it is now FAT32 ! :eek:

8. sidhu

sidhu New Member

LOL. Thats may be because of android's limitation. Anyway trying to format one partition of my hard disk to FAT32 and its not recognised. I think this is something to read the partition of the entire disk.
    But still i thought the issues are solved with the latest updates as per the forum. But its not. I tried connecting with USB 2.0 cable to my hard disk as well but no luck.

Looking at the official Plex website which says they are supporting Nvidia shield to run plex, now i am going nuts. I chose Minix only thinking external hard disk support as well as Kodi which doesn't needs any client server. Looks like i did a big mistake :confused::confused:. Even my plex client is not recognising the server now in minix which was easily getting connected from my PS3:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: anyway for that i am reading and might post another thread (might be a Plex problem as well). But so far no luck with any media server. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

9. Villa

Are your hard disks USB 3.0?
    I must say that anything USB 3.0 connected to a MINIX device with USB 2.0 ports, for me, has had issues! :confused:

I have both NVIDIA and many MINIX devices! :p:)

10. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Yes both my hard disks are USB 3.0. So this is definitely something related to the backward compatibility?
    Then this is a known issue i guess. If it is, really sad that Minix has not come up with a solution. I don't have any USB 2.0 hard disks to test this anyway.

But i am not sure why not supporting ExFAT in my USB though. I don't think it is USB 3.0 but anyway it worked with FAT32 (atleast). I was really bugged with FAT32 in my PS3 which is 500GB (but atleast it works great for games).

11. Villa

I don't know if this will fix your issue but, usually I find pulling the USB 3.0 connector out ever so slighly will fix things.

12. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Tried and not happening.
    Tried pulling out thumb drive out very slightly as possible till the point it get disconnected and gets the same error. Some times it says OTG file format not supported as well.

I tried the USB 2.0 cable which i got it with MINIX as well to connect to hard disk - not working
    Tried formatting one partition of the hard disk with another partitioning tool (other than Disk utility coming with Mac) - Not working.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  13. newbie99

newbie99 Ex Moderator

14. Villa

I think exFAT has always been supported! It is ext4 support that has recently been added.

15. newbie99

newbie99 Ex Moderator

At the beginning we must reformat the microSD bigger then 32GB because of the exFAT to NTFS but if I'm not wrong someone wrote that meanwhile exFAT at microSD bigger then 32GB will work but I'm not sure...

16. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Yes but for now exFat is not working in my Minix for sure. Tried with WD, Toshiba and with Sandisk pendrive. Nothing works. I have all the latest firmware. I had another tough time sharing the drives as SMB from my Mac. That took me hours to set up SMB in Mac to get it connected with Kodi. Finally I installed SMBup and it worked perfectly. But I have to connect my hard disk to my Mac and so everything need to be up and running to watch my movies. Now I can't invest in a NAS as of now otherwise it was not a problem. I hope Minix will take care of exFat because it's quite an important format for Mac users to use it in both Mac and Windows

I spend almost 8-9 hours in setting his thing up and not yet finished. Still not sure to continues with the device as well. I hope I will get more help on this !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Ok. I will find a thumb drive more than 32 GB and will try this. I already tried with one of the partition in my hard disk with exFAT but will definitely try with a thumb drive with out any partitions.

18. Villa

How can MINIX take care of exFAT? It is working for me! So what is there to fix?
    Usually when others have had issues with external HDDs whatever the filesystem, reformatting has fixed the issue!

19. Villa

Ok, I think I'm understanding that it could be a size issue!

Will try and test also. (y)

20. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Don't think so. Hard disk which I tried is 1.5 TB and the partition which I formatted is more than 250 GB.