1. Official MINIX forum

NEO A2 Lite - review (new 2014 model)

Discussion in 'NEO A2 Lite' started by danlat1415, Dec 26, 2014.

1. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

Here is my quick review of the Neo A2 Lite remote (2014 model)

The remote is much improved over the standard A2 model.
    The 'Lite' version does not come with speaker or microphone facility - making the batteries last considerable longer and no longer has the issues that plagued the A2 model.
    The red LED around the middle buttons has also been replaced with a nice green plastic trim.
    This removal of features makes it a 'Lite' model.

Because the A2 remote came out in 2013, it came out before the X8-H, meaning that it wasn't fully compatible because it didn't have Infra-Red on the remote.
    The A2 Lite solves this problem as it now includes dual IR transmitters in the end of the remote, increasing the range.
    I've been using for a couple of weeks now and I must say, this is the best remote I've used with the X8-H.

I've previously has the M1, F10 Pro and a universal flymouse off Ebay - all of which worked well, but has their own flaws and wasn't fully compatible with the X8-H or required a lot of messing around to get all the buttons working.

The A2 Lite works perfectly with the X8-H straight out of the box. (I'm running latest 002A firmware on X8-H).
    Just plug in the USB receiver and off you go.

I would highly recommend this remote to anyone with the X8-H and suggest that Minix decide to ship this remote as standard with their boxes to make the perfect experience.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    skynet, mercury16, Rawhide85 and 2 others like this.
  2. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

I've been using mine for around a week and agree 100% with this review :)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    mercury16 and Rawhide85 like this.
  3. Snusman

Snusman New Member

where did you purchase the A2 lite from? Do you know the model number?
  4. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

I'm pretty sure all the authorised resellers sell them.
    The ad banner up the top right has resellers who sell them for sure :)
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  5. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to selling sites.
    There are lots of reseller websites.
    Just Google it. They usually all ship worldwide for free as most sellers are in China

It doesn't have a model number I don't think.
    The packaging and remote just say Neo A2 Lite.

I'm from UK and worked out about £20 posted - very good price for the remote
  6. ENDRJUPL

ENDRJUPL Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Advertising is not allowed on the forum.
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  7. jediking

jediking Member

How to enable gyro mode for games?
  8. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

I've not played any games with it yet.
    Is there any specific game you'd like me to test?
  9. jediking

jediking Member

10. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

11. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

I've made a very quick video and added it to the first post showing the Neo A2 Lite used with a couple of games - Beech Buggy Blitz and Riptide GP2.
    Works great, not issues.

I don't play these games and don't use remote for games so it's not the best video, but you get the idea.
    Also, I'm sure you can flip the remote to use it sideways rather than straight forward.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  12. jediking

jediking Member

Thanks danlat1415 seem like my Minix X8-H not on latest firmware that make my A2 Lite not work as it should.
  13. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

With Beech Buggy Blitz, I just needed to change the control settings in the Game from Touch to Tilt.
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  14. jediking

jediking Member

Love the remote I just thought that I did something wrong with it. Normally I only play games on my PC just want to know that all functions work.
  15. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

The rewind, play/pause, fast forward keys are all following Android standards,
    if an app is written following the standards, these keys will be supported,
    say MX player for example.

Gaming is not a feature that we advertise, A2 Lite is not supposed to support gaming,
    so please treat it as a bonus feature. We will have a new product solely for gaming purpose and is going to launch during CES 2015 in Vegas.
    Rawhide85 and 850 like this.
  16. str1der

str1der New Member

What's the range like on this remote?
  17. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

It's about 10-15meters
  18. 850

850 New Member

It's weird. I played Riptide GP2 and the gyro remote worked flawlessly the first day I played it. The next day, the gyro wasn't working and I couldn't control it. Now I can't figure out how to get it to work. I didn't change any settings. Is there a trick to enabling gyro mode?
  19. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

The gyroscope should work automatically as it forms part of the air mouse.

If you need to recalibrate it, not sure if this still works on A2 Lite (it's the process for standard A2 remote), but to recalibrate:

- Put the keyboard on the flat surface with the long ridge down, so that the letters were not upside down.
    - Press and hold FN and Y buttons for 2-3 seconds (indicator on the keyboard will start blinking
    - As soon as LED stops blinking, the calibration is finished.
  20. 850

850 New Member

Thanks, I'll try that.

Can anyone else confirm that you have to press some of the buttons extra hard to get them to work? All buttons make a click sound when you press, but some buttons don't respond unless you press harder than the pressure it takes to make the click sound.
    Rawhide85 likes this.