1. Official MINIX forum

NEO U1 full system image reflashing guide

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Official Firmware Releases' started by MINIX - Ken, Jan 5, 2016.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

1.) Download the firmware package (.rar)
    For example, FW005 full system image with PC upgrade tool:
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=U1_FW010.rar
    MD5 checksum: 0055D63C0EAFBF62DB5830E30E277ECB

2.) Verify the MD5 checksum of the downloaded package matches with the checksum we provided,
    free tool: http://www.winmd5.com/download/winmd5free.zip
    verified.jpg

3.) Extract the package, you will get the firmware image (.img) & the burning tool

4.) Install the new USB burning tool which is already included in the package (choose English at the beginning, if necessary)
    install1.jpg
    Choose "Install anyway" when system prompts for driver installation
    install2.jpg
    4a.) Launch the USB burning tool
    tool1.jpg

5.) Connect the Micro USB cable supplied with the box between the OTG port of the box and your computer
    (Windows based);

6.) On U1, power up the device from OFF state by pressing and holding the power button for 6 seconds ,
    no other button is necessary to get into flashing (recovery) mode.

7.) Upon successful connection the "Connect success" message will be displayed inside the application

8.) Load the firmware image by selecting "File -> Import image"

9.) After loading, the 1st and 2nd box of "Configuration", "Erase flash" (Normal erase) and "Erase bootloader", should be checked by default.
    If you want the machine to restart immediately after flashing, check the "Reset after success" option as well.
    Then, click "Start" to start flashing

10.) The upgrade process will take approximately 2-3 minutes, the last 5-10% takes longer time to complete,
    and you MUST make sure the power can NOT be disconnected during the upgrade (of course also the OTG cable) or your box could become a brick

11.) Upon successful upgrade, the application will display the message "Burning successfully"
    then it's safe to unplug the power (and also the OTG! otherwise it will start to burn again after repower on if the USB burning tool is still running ;) )
    and connect your hub back to the TV for 1st start (which is also very important and takes some minutes);

So about 1st start:
    It's very important that you DO NOT cut the power off from the hub during the 1st start,
    since preloaded apps. will be installed in the background, if you power it off in the middle of the installation, some preloaded apps. might be missing.

NOTE: Always use the "Normal erase" option
    bovirus, LGR, pirsquared8 and 2 others like this.
  2. GPi

GPi New Member

Hi,

Worked fine for me, thanks!

Concerning step 7:
    If the message does not come up, restart from step 6.
  3. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Member

By the way, with my U1, it took much longer than 6 seconds. more like 30
  4. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

And at my less than 6 sec :)
  5. MINIX - Ken

Our preset since FW003 is 6 seconds.
  6. flummie

flummie New Member

A newbie question: are all the programs gone after the flash?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
  7. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Yes! Only preinstalled apps remain, less data!
  8. flummie

flummie New Member

Well, I decided to go ahead with the update. Went very well by the way. Just started using the box so no harm done. Thx m8

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
  9. Panto

Panto New Member

Confused why this is better than the preinstalled Minix system update in the u1? I updated it to 004 was that not the right way?
  10. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

You may have some problem with OTA sometimes.
    If it's the case, try this method.
  11. Panto

Panto New Member

O okay I didn't so woot!
  12. newbie99

Not better but different: At the way via USBBurningTool you rewrite the whole system, at OTA you normally only get an update with the delta between 2 fw-releases...
  13. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey New Member

I updated to fw005 and then rooted my device. I messed something up and would like to restore to factory settings to get rid of the root and start fresh. Is this what I'm looking for. Deleting everything is fine by me. If I could start fresh from fw005 that would be preferable. If this isn't the right method could someone point me in the right direction. Either the root or the fw affected my emulator so I'm trying to eliminate the cause
  14. newbie99

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  15. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

im guessing that works if you have used finless root method
  16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey New Member

Ya I have read some stuff on freaktAb and it looks like the unroot isn't working for some people. I wish to just reload my box to stock firmware with the fw005. I'm thinking this is what indeed to do?
  17. MINIX - Ken

If you have the habit to wipe cache partition after an OTA update,
    it doesn't really make a huge difference.
  18. MacB

MacB Member

moin...
    EZ-Root and EZ-UnRoot only works with the SD formatted to FAT32 (!) - with the unzipped files&directory in the /root-directory of the SD.
    so if you root: unzip all to the /root-directory of the SD - after rooting being successful - delete all the files&directory (as seen within the zip) on the SD.
    the same procedure on UnRooting.
    i think that is why some people have probs with that.
    greetinx
  19. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

20. newbie99

Yes, maybe he/she is from northern Germany (but there they say moin moin, but during the whole day :) )
    At e.g. northern Germany the existing old dialect is a little bit like English (I think all the states around the north-see area have the same "language-root") so moin is a little bit like morning...