1. We are having national holidays from 1/10 to 8/10, please note.

Official Release NEO U1 FW010 - 20161012

Discussion in 'Official Firmwares' started by MINIX - Ken, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkoalBANDIT

SkoalBANDIT New Member

Cool thanks.... I'll report in when it's done. (y)
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

FW011 is coming:

1.) Fixed an Amlogic bug that is causing system stuck at logo during boot occasionally
    2.) Improved some SD videos playback smoothness
    3.) Fixed daydream sleep bug
    4.) Added one touch power off/sleep option of power button
    5.) Fixed CEC device name during sleep state
    6.) Added Mac-OS exFAT format support
    7.) Added Xbox One S controller support
  3. SkoalBANDIT

SkoalBANDIT New Member

Thank you, all running smoothly with no problems..
  4. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

That is something I'm very very happy about! I was going to buy a new replacement Xbox Controller and the 2016 Edition is £35 right now and the fact it will work on my NEO U1 from FW011 onwards is just brilliant use of both machines.
  5. Viggen66

Viggen66 Member

Ken,

Thanks for your continuum effort on deliver us even a better Android TV that is today. Is there a forecast on the release date?

Thanks
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  6. gridlock

gridlock Member

Truly appreciated effort , by the highest quality android boxes company in the market. you are really showing us on regular basis how dedicated you are to keep on being on the top.....

so ken , since the playback quality (for video files stored on external hdd) is truly amazing when video layer is selected , is it almost impossible to fix it for YouTube? i mean , i find it hard to keep on changing between osd and video layers , since the osd got no issues with youtube, but unfortunately the video playback quality is really lesser than that for the video layer.... i really hope for a permanent fix. thanks a lot.... cheers
  7. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

Gridlock - just curious what you mean by this. I don't know much about some settings.
    Where do you get the option to select video layer? Does this give any improved video quality? I just use default settings in Minix and Kodi and everything already looks great and runs smooth

EDIT - never mind, I found it in the Video Playback settings in Minix's main settings
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  8. kendub

kendub Member

Hi Folks, looking for some advice please. Will reluctantly need to get rid of my MINIX NEO X8-H NON PLUS version, because I need a Androix Box with 1gb ethernet
    connection

I have the MINIX NEO X8-H PLUS in mind but
    also NEO U1

Which one givs the best Audio 5.1 etc output , please
    and which one will have more firmware updates, in the future

I will be using my own remote Mele f10 pro, but if anyone has suggestions on a better remote would be interested (remote needs to RF not IR, must have a Mic for google search)
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  9. Electron3D

Electron3D New Member

Is there a way to increase the size of the system partition on the USB flashable firmware? I'm a reseller and I pre-load a bunch of apps for my customers but the 1GB limitation on the system partition prevents me from loading all the apps I want to pre-install. Having the apps pre-installed by the init script allows customers to do a factory reset and still retain the apps I have installed for them along with my boot video and custom launcher.

I use the latest Amlogic Customization Tool but there's a bug in the app that doesn't allow the partition editing feature to work. It may be because the bootloader is encrypted if that's where the partition sizes are stored? I'm comfortable dumping partitions from the device through the terminal if the size change needs to be performed directly on the U1. Maybe a Minix dev could do the mod for me (1280MB system partition) and share the image file? Any help here will be much appreciated.
  10. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

I can't speak for Ken, but to be honest, that's not something MINIX would allow you to do because the first thing when something goes wrong the customer will come here complaining and asking for support. That simply is going to cause huge problems trying to resolve a customer's problem unknown to MINIX that the partition is the cause of the problem in the first place.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    HardwareGuru likes this.
  11. Electron3D

Electron3D New Member

Yeah that does make sense Adam, I should have thought of this. I don't want to cause any headaches for the awesome team here at Minix. I love their products and their support is top notch! I am the first line of support for all products I sell but of course some customers will come directly to Minix without even contacting me.

All the apks would fit before but now that WebViewGoogle has been added there is no room in system (995MB used). I guess my best bet here would be to implement a custom userdata partition with the apps already installed. That way if problems arise they can factory reset to stock U1 firmware and I can just send them an SD/USB flashable userdata.img. I just need to figure out how to wrap the userdata partition into the USB firmware image. Anyone have any pointers?
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  12. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

I have to say at any custom rom you will lose the warranty...
  13. Electron3D

Electron3D New Member

Yes I understand but it's not a custom rom really, I'm just adding legit apks directly from Google Play Store to the preinstall folder (Netflix, FilmOn, FilmOn Kids, PlutoTV, Crackle, Hulu, etc) and inserting a simple boot video. There are no "mods" to the firmware whatsoever. It doesn't really matter anyway because I provide the warranty and support myself and I test things extensively before they leave the door.

Pre-loading the apps just makes my life so much easier because I can program and update 5 or more units at a time which takes only 7 mins instead of installing all these apps manually on every device. When you sell 30+ Minix NEO U1 every week it gets very time consuming to do it manually and it's just not practical considering the short time it takes to flash multiple devices via USB burning tool.
    kingsizept likes this.
  14. MINIX - Ken

Final changelog for the coming FW011 over FW010:

1.) Fixed an Amlogic bug that is causing system stuck at logo during boot occasionally
    2.) Improved some SD videos playback smoothness
    3.) Fixed daydream sleep bug
    4.) Added one touch power off/sleep option of power button
    5.) Fixed CEC device name during sleep state
    6.) Added Mac-OS exFAT format support
    7.) Added Xbox One S controller support
    8.) Updated AirPin(PRO) app to V3.3.3
  15. MINIX - Ken

We DO have plan doing it.
    However, OTA update would be impossible,
    all data would be erased when resizing the partition.

That's a big problem.
    Electron3D likes this.
  16. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

Could you not set one up full as you'd like, then create a backup image of that box, then just flash that image on all your other boxes, saving the time of reloading each app on each box?

This would keep the system partition intact and keep OTA updates working.

Not sure if Minix's ROM burning tool has the option to create a backup.
    If not, there are plenty of software out there that can create full backups of Android devices.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  17. Ben0368

Ben0368 New Member

Hi I updated my box on using the USB tool all went on the pc. Connected the box back up powered up The Android and Minix logo show up for a second or two and then screen just went black blue led is on. Retried holding the power button for a little, nothing. Any ideas?
    Thanks
  18. Electron3D

Electron3D New Member

Thanks Ken! Will the system partition size be increased in FW011 or is this a future plan?

Do you know of a way I can incorporate a copy of my userdata partition in the USB firmware image?

danlat1415: You can't just dump the whole device to an img file and flash with USB burning tool. The data structure needs to be specifically formatted to work with the tool.
  19. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

If you use a different program and create a Nandroid backup, it'll backup the full system including the partitions.
    Something like clockworkmod should work.
  20. Electron3D

Electron3D New Member

I know about Nandroid backup, I'm just dumping the userdata partition manually in terminal using the dd command which is more suitable for what I need. A Nandroid backup can not be flashed with the USB burning tool because the format is not correct. I'm not interested in flashing via any other method because I need to program 5 to 10 devices at a time, only the USB burning tool allows this. I just need to figure out a way to incorporate my userdata partition (which I have already dumped) into the firmware.img for flashing via USB.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.