1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Neo U1 Settings Menu not responding

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by Shabir, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Shabir

Shabir New Member

Hi,
    I cannot seem to get into my setting menu anymore. Whenever I click on settings the screen just blinks for a split second and nothing happens. The unit also tends to slow down at times for no apparent reason. I restarted the unit a few times to check if that makes a difference. Still no change. The last thing I did was update Kodi to 17.4. Could this have caused the issue? Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem? Also, is there a way to hard reset the unit? I don't want to do this... But if its the last resort then I'm willing to try it.
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I suggest a Factory reset through recovery.
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/how-to-enter-recovery-mode.10776/

If no change, flash a full system image.

Full system image with USB flashing tool (complete, clean reflash):
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=U1_FW013.rar
    MD5 checksum: E4EA3FAE83300BA92BC31EADAFDABE87

Full system image flashing guide:

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-u1-full-system-image-reflashing-guide.10046/

Please use a download tool which support resume function to download the update package, and please make sure you verify the MD5 checksum before proceeding to update!!

You will lose all data in both instances but occasionally these devices do need a good clear out and resetting.
  3. Shabir

Shabir New Member

Thanks Villa for the super quick response. I tried the 1st option with the factory reset. Worked like a charm.
  4. Tony & Peter

Tony & Peter New Member

Hi, I also had the exact same glitch/bug with my minix neo u1 so I also had to factory reset. This is a verryy inconvenient and time consuming solution to what must be a problem with the software though. Can you guys please fix this with the next system update so i DON'T have to factory reset my box again when a bug/glitch happens next?
  5. thebottlefly

thebottlefly New Member

Hi, I'm having the same problem too. I factory reset my U1 and it works for awhile and then the problem arises again. Is there a firmware to fix this?
  6. Tony & Peter

Tony & Peter New Member

Wow this sucks, sorry to hear that mate
  7. thebottlefly

thebottlefly New Member

Yup. It was working like a charm before and I must say I was really enjoying my U1. I will probably ever use the settings once which i configure everything on the first boot. However, it just annoys me to know that my settings cannot be launched. It is stuff like this that differentiates between a good brand/product and a sub-par one.
  8. rhayer82

rhayer82 New Member

Hi, same issue. Please fix this issue. Thanks
  9. Villa

Is everyone in this thread on FW013?
  10. rhayer82

rhayer82 New Member

11. Shabir

Shabir New Member

I usually go to the settings menu to select my sound output to SPDIF to get it to send the sound through my optical cable, whenever I use my amp. The auto select feature for the sound does not work so well. So I have to do this manually. Thats the reason for me going to my settings menu more than others.
    Also, I found an easy way to back up all my addons on Kodi, to my sd card, using Ares Wizard. This way I didn't have to load all my addons individually again after the hardware reset. Just restore with Ares wizard. That was quick and painless.
    I used an app backup program from playstore to back up all my apps and restore them after the reset.

The unit is working much better now.
  12. thebottlefly

thebottlefly New Member

Yes I am.
  13. Sun'J

Sun'J New Member

I have had this issue for a while. (am on FW013) factory reset is not a solution but a workaround. Thought FW013 would have sorted this out but apparently not. Would really love a permanent solution.
  14. thebottlefly

thebottlefly New Member

So will there be any fixes on this?
  15. rhayer82

rhayer82 New Member

Any fixes??????
  16. Paul S

Paul S Member

Hello I cannot access the settings with my machine anymore. When I click on it goes to a blank page and then goes back to the Minix Metro desktop. I tried restarting but still the same.

Can anyone chime in as to what is going on and how I can fix this ??

Thanks
  17. Paul S

Paul S Member

Just realized there is another thread regarding this issue. So I suppose factory reset is the only way to fix this. Its just so inconvientt having to load everything again. I hope the Minix team can solve this issue ASAP.
  18. Villa

IMO there's not always a clear cut solution for these bugs/glitches. If a Factory reset or a full system image reflash is what it takes for a device to be stable again then that is what it takes!
    Currently my U9-H is very unstable, has issues like volume control not working unless I perform some sort of Mason's handshake first! The device is lagging, constantly reporting that the app I have just opened is not responding. Pressing Home to get out of the app takes an age just to find that the launcher is not responding! The airmouse constantly needs recalibrating. Why exactly all this is happening I'm not sure? But it is tme for a Factory reset!!! :rolleyes:

As for the U1 Settings issue, I don't recall ever having that?!

NB I moved your posts to said thread.
  19. thebottlefly

thebottlefly New Member

The annoying thing is even a factory reset won't solve the problem permanently. I've done it twice. I can use the settings for like a day at most? then this problem arises again which is so annoying!!! If factory reset gets it fixed, i think that doing it once is still bearable. But when it doesn't fix it permanently, I'm not going to do a factory reset every time I want to perform a change on my setting am I?

Anyway, I'm looking at alternatives to replace my U1. Pretty disappointing that a fix has not been released yet.
  20. Villa

Have you tried flashing a full system image?