1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Neo X6 Performance

Discussion in 'NEO X6' started by markward, Nov 22, 2016.

1. markward

markward New Member

I previously owned a Mygica ATV585 device. I used it to watch Netflix, Hulu, videos from network drive and occasionally Kodi. It got struck by lightning and I needed to replace it. I never had any real issues with the Mygica apart from intermittent small audio skips now and them. I didn't know if this was only my device or a problem with the software. Other than that box ran smooth and I liked the simple interface. When I had to replace it I found these Minix devices and found a lot more info and reviews on them and found this active community and so I decided to get a Minix device instead of another Mygica thinking it would be a more reliable option. The Minix X6 and Mygica 585 have basically identical hardware specs so I figured it would be same performance. I am not much of a fan of the Metro launcher and so I loaded Top TV Launcher instead. Other than that its the normal app installed as above.
    I just have a couple of issues and hoping someone can help. Firstly the performance of the device for some reason does not seem to be very good. After running and exiting (but obviously still run in the background) a couple of apps the device seems to almost grind to a halt. It is a lot worse when running apps like google play and possibly Kodi (pre installed XMBC does not seem to work with few Kodi addons so had to installed latest Kodi 16.1). Even loading something like ES file explorer can cause it to hang. Even trying to click on the icon at the button to show running apps to try swipe them away takes forever to load. More often than not I had to end up rebooting the device.
    Would running the Metro launcher improve my performance? I see it does have an option to kill all apps but my Mygica did not need something like this to run and I thought Android managed its own memory.
    Then I have the issue a lot of people have mentioned with the HDMI signal not being picked up when waking the device with the remote and having to swop to different HDMI input and then back again. This happens basically everyday when I come to watch. It is very annoying. Do we know when this might be fixed?

I actually purchased 2 minix X6 units and both suffer from the same issues so its not a specific device issue.
    I have run the Minix Software update and it tells me my device is up to date.
  2. artouiros

artouiros Member

Perhaps, X6 has not so much RAM, I had expiricenced such behaviour couple of times when I was using different apps at the same time. The only way to make it fast is to HOLD menu button on remote to start the ram cleanign process. (or using different cleanign apps)
    Actually it's pretty good for video, I am using 2 minix x6 boxes and using 2 video streaming apps (youtube + netflix russian analogue) and it works fine without reboot for months (own them about 1.5 years)
    You don't need to switch to another HDMI port, just turn minix on/off. (with remote) I don't know why it happens with you every day, I am expiriencign this 1 time a week/maybe 2.]

Need to say that I have rooted every box I have and uninstalled every shitty app and removed every shitty running services. This can help you with perfomance alot. If you need to know hwo to root and what services to stop, feel free to reply. This is the most easy way to make device fast, it's not super super fast, but in my opinion x6 is the besat device for the price. bought mine for 60 euro each 1.5 years ago in germany
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  3. markward

markward New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    For Kodi/XMBC can I use latest Kodi from playstore or should I really be using the Minix XMBC. Where would I get latest stable version of Minix XMBC?
  4. markward

markward New Member

Also if you could tell me which services I can safely disable to improve performance that would also be great. Thanks
  5. artouiros

artouiros Member

I am using latest Kodi from google play, work faster in my opinion.
    I used DisableService - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wq.disableservice app for this (has blue icon in google play), in system services I disabled: (servicies are devided by groups in this app):
    1. Google play movies % TV - everything
    2. Google play music - everything
    3. Google service framework - chekin service, eventlogservice, subscribedfeedsync, systemupdateservice,gtalkservice,gtalkserviceproxy
    4. everything related to calendar
    also I disabled every not needed service from 3dparty apps. also use DisableApplication - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iamaner.oneclickfreeze app to disable not needed apps.

Rooting is very easy with kingoroot, you can find the instruction somewhere in my posts log, I have written a small instruction somehwere edit: link - http://www.minixforum.com/threads/solved-3g-dongle-on-minix-x6.7184/