1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Neo X8-H plus to 5.0 lollipop

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by Eldragun, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldragun

Eldragun New Member

Does anyone know if or when they will have an update to 5.0?
    I've read the hardware will be able to handle it. I'm not really sure of the benefits , but I would assume it will come eventually
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Rawhide85 likes this.
  3. Eldragun

Eldragun New Member

I just talked with someone at Minix , and they stated that the neo x8-h plus would not be getting 5.0 lollipop update and new device would be coming out later in the year , he said that if we wanted to update it ourselves that would be an option , does anyone know how to do that ?
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  4. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

5.0 is too buggy, we have no plan until it's better,
    5.1 / 5.2 maybe possible, but definitely not 5.0,
    too many bugs!
    hpman, sangaz, andymnc and 3 others like this.
  5. Rui Oliveira

Rui Oliveira Active Member

yes i agree with that. We want a stable release and not releasing fw 5.0 just for releasing.
    Rawhide85 and Fudgees like this.
  6. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

Any news on update to Lollipop? I've had no message yet saying firmware update is available
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  7. Fructis

Fructis Member

I asked this question a while ago.
    The answer that i got is that even though the chipset got support for 5.0 it doesn't mean that the box will get that update.
    I agree with those who prefers a stable box with 4.2.2 instead of a buggy box with 5.0

I Really don't understand the hysteria of getting the latest update asap. As far as i know there's no specific new features with 5.0 that would improve the box atm.

Or do you know something that we dont in terms of why 5.0 is a must have on the box?
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  8. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

My only logic is they have brought out lollipop for a reason so it should be an improvement otherwise why bother. Some less well supported companies are not delivering the goods with updating as promised. For me this is a reason to not buy from that company in future, one is Elephone, maybe Minix too
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  9. Higgs

I prefer a company that delivers stable firmware with few bugs, which listens and responds to its customers and continuously works to improve its firmware, rather than a company which just releases the latest android version regardless of stability/bugs.
    Latest is not always the best, remember Windows Vista?.
    SJshah, samppu, swamprat96 and 2 others like this.
  10. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

thats false logic.....its usually about making money.....some ( many?) will just buy the "latest"
    Rawhide85 likes this.
  11. kingdingaling

kingdingaling Member

Sweeping statements like 'there's no new features in lollipop' is just a frustrating as 'it's too buggy'

Lollipop supports 24-bit audio, something virtually every other operating system supports and has done for many years.

http://geeknizer.com/audio-improvements-in-android-5-0-l-audiophile/
  12. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

My lollipop update for my Samsung Tab 4 and LG G3 was virtually flawless and pain free, less supported companies like Elephone completely struggle. I'm guessing Minix is also not supported that well hence can't release a version that works sufficiently.
  13. Higgs

Can I ask what doesn't work on your minix currently, which only a lollipop firmware can solve?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Tapatalk
  14. kingdingaling

kingdingaling Member

24-bit audio output
  15. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

tic :whistle: I heard Lollipop sucks! :p:censored::ROFLMAO:
    HardwareGuru likes this.
  16. Higgs

I think you've mentioned that before .
    I'm not an audiophile, while I can appreciate that it might be important to you, I'm not even sure if I would notice a difference with my setup.
    Regardless my post wasn't addressed to you

17. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

My Minix works fine, maybe lollipop would be better, iPlayer doesn't work, maybe its fixed in lollipop
  18. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I don't know what the issue is with BBC iPlayer and the X8-H Plus, but BBC iPlayer works just fine on my X7 with KitKat and on all my other non-MINIX devices.
    I too wish it would funtion well on my X8-H Plus along with ITV Player, Demand 5 & All 4 which also do not function on my X7. They do all function on my non-MINIX devices though. I do not think moving on to Lollipop will necessarily fix these issues they first need to be addressed with the hardware and current firmware/Android version.
  19. Higgs

Maybe it would be better, maybe it would be worse. Maybe some apps that don't work on kitkat will work on lollipop, to be honest I don't think your issue with iplayer is to do with kitkat fw, but hey I'm frequently wrong
    Then again maybe some apps that work on kitkat will not work on lollipop, that is probably more likely when OS's are updated.
    For me, I would be concentrating on why something isn't working rather than why my android version isn't at the very latest.
    If you have a problem that can only be solved by the latest version then yes that's a good reason to press for it. If you just want the latest, no matter what, then sorry no.
    I have no doubt, based on previous experience, that when a firmware based on android lolliop is proved to more stable and reliable on these tv boxes, that we will see minix releasing them

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    HardwareGuru and Villa like this.
  20. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Maybe it will fix some bugs and add a few features, but at the moment it also adds lots of bugs and cripple other features.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ZP980+ met Tapatalk
    jblaze10 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.