1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

X8 NEO-X8-PLUS Upgrade

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by Subzer09, Apr 26, 2017.

?

Witch devise to upgrade to?

1. Minix Neo U1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Minix Neo U9 H

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Subzer09

Subzer09 New Member

Good day

I currently own an MINIX NEO-X8-PLUS.

Now that Kodi 17 has been launched, and from what i read on the forums i'm assuming this box is close to end of life.

I'm currently looking at Upgrading to a newer box but there are so many to choose from, I'm looking for a future proof box at least be able to use it for the next 4 to 5 years.

To me Minix offers some of the best Android Boxes out there hence asking the question on this forum
  2. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

The decision is all yours ! but I would choose the U9 H . :)
  3. frutiloopis

frutiloopis Member

You can use a fork kodi like SPMC, FTMC and don't need buy a new box

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  4. dryster

dryster Active Member

@Subzer09 - your statement is true. Any TV box that is running an AMlogic S8xx is at the end of it's life for the general consumer, yet still has plenty of life in it for the enthusiast. As far as Kodi or it's forks are concerned, SPMC is locked at 16.4.2 for Kitkat and will not be developed further but forks like FTMC will offer further life for some, however, Google themselves will kill off the S8xx series for the general consumer, because your average consumer will use the play store to acquire apps which will soon be capped at Lollipop or Marshmallow, whereas the enthusiast will be creative and source their "legacy" APKs from the community. AMlogic, the very source of the SoC no longer support their S8xx series, which is a definition of EOL for millions of devices that are 30 months old, it's not in their interests to support them, they want to sell the new stuff.

If you're considering a MINIX Android box then you should skip the U1 unless you're buying used, buy the U9-H. The history though shows that both of those boxes will suffer a similar fate within the next 30 months, because AMlogic will drop support for those SoC's in a similar fashion and in those 30 months, Google will be two or three versions of Android forward, I wonder if that will be called Android Pudding?

The alternative is to buy a MINX box that uses Windows 10. Microsoft have said they will support that operating system until October 2025.
  5. frutiloopis

frutiloopis Member

If you chose a Minix Tv Box with Windows 10 on the future the storage are full because Microsoft send many fix to update the OS

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  6. dryster

dryster Active Member

@frutiloopis - very good point, machines with 32gb will not do well.
  7. Jazzy Jeff

Jazzy Jeff New Member

I think it is a little deceptive not to inform a potential customer about the life of the box. Thereby giving the customer the option to either spend his money on something that has a 30 month life span or on something that could give him more life. My Neo S8 Plus, as you are saying is done only after 18 months. I could have forked out some more cash and get something better. Everything i've ever read about Minix didn't indicate a limited life span of the box. I love the Minix box but it is not cheap. Thanks much.
  8. dryster

dryster Active Member

Considering that there was only a few months between AMlogic having the S802 available thru to the S812 and the S812-H it could be argued that all Android boxes not using the "best of those three" were obsolete in that short period of time, and less than a year later, the S9xx SoC were becoming available that eclipsed the best. That was two years ago. The MINIX U1 with the S905 was released in December 2015, so about 18 months ago running Android 5.1 and research would have shown that was the box to buy and I would expect they still command a reasonable price on the used market to part exchange into a U9-H
  9. EdT586

EdT586 Member

Actually one of the things that Minix has done right on their behalf was to control their distribution channels.
    To date all the Minix boxes from the G4 to the U9-H have not dropped in price since there is a demand for them.
    Just check on eBay and the prices for the X6, X7 and X8-H Plus has pretty much remained the same within the 2-3 year period and I would even say the X8-H Plus cost about $10usd more than the U1.