1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

NEO X8/X8-H 002 beta 8 firmware (20140809)

Discussion in 'NEO X8/X8-H 002 beta 8 firmware (20140809)' started by MINIX - Ken, Jul 20, 2014.

1. russ67

russ67 Member

agree with most of your post ,but the highlighted bit is very dis-respectful,a oner + might not be a lot of dough to you but it is to others !!
  2. Mavors

Mavors Member

I agree as well.
    I've not manifested before because as an analyst / programmer myself I understand perfectly the problems from a rushed release, and the issues that can unfold from a new SDK in the middle of Beta Releases. However, it's a product by itself, sold as finished and with several firmware issues. The price here is not a factor nor it should addressed as "in mind that you didn't pay a lot of money", because everyone that bought it, have bought Minix because of the specs vs. price but hopping a product that respected the basic premises of doing what was supposed to do, with no problems.

4 Months from release date is indeed a lot of time... and in my opinion there should have been a middle OTA release that solved the basic problems.
    Since there wasn't we only have to wait for the final delivery but spare us from BS comments because everyone here is being very patient with the situation.
    Ivan K., WilfredG and Luca like this.
  3. genem

genem Active Member

wasn't ment to be not respectful to anyone. More like; compared to other systems.
    In case I insulted someone ..... sorry
    Mavors and russ67 like this.
  4. WilfredG

WilfredG Member

I'm a professional programmer myself and I totally agree.
    The thing I have learned in the last 25 years is that customers don't mind waiting for a good release, but they want to get informed about the progress and why it takes longer then planned.
    The result of not informing customers are questions, questions and a lot more questions. (and locked threads :)
    Ivan K. and Luca like this.
  5. Luca

Luca New Member

(y)

(y)
  6. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

We are still overcomming some little bugs.
    A programmer knows that fixing one thing can break another.
    Current state is smooth playback on 23.976 and 60 fps for all movies in XBMC.
    We are still fixing some bugs in the internal player ( 4k player ) and soem what seems to be minor issues..

The reason we dont give much info is we dont want to say things that might not work at the end.
    ( Playback/stutter issues seems to be solved as we speak. this is tested and confirmed by the test crew)

For some things we depend on Amlogic as they know the chip adresses and binary values and they dont release much info on that.
    Amlogic has been pushed by MINIX to make patches for beta9 and they allready delivered some wich work perfectly. ( thanks to AMlogic )
    A changelog can only be made when we know wich changes will make it to the release ( some fixes might be passed to a next release )
    Please understand this.

The progress is about 90-95% at the moment for beta9.
    The goal is to make it so that it should be the OTA update after the beta release without any changes ( i "hope" this will be the case )

I hope you are informed about the progress now in the best way i can.

Best regards
    HWG
    damca, gjs999, Toymaned and 1 other person like this.
  7. WilfredG

WilfredG Member

All I need to know and hear :)
    Put this in a thread everyone can find, update it once in a while and you will get less questions about ETA's (Is my experience)
  8. Ulises Rodriguez PhD

Ulises Rodriguez PhD Active Member

Great news HarwareGuru!!!!

Don't rushed until is ready...

We will way and understand the situation!
  9. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

You mean a sticky thread like this, updated a few days ago?
    http://www.minixforum.com/index.php?posts/10703

Sent using Tapatalk
  10. WilfredG

WilfredG Member

Are you serious?
    That's not what I mean.
    You have to take your customers serious, that's not what that thread is all about (ALL IN CAPITALS).
    I do not want to start a discussion, I have work of my own :) just wanted to share my experience.
  11. Muroka

Muroka Member

The dilemna is here we do not see Minix people here responsive to client demands.
    It would be polite for Minix company to manage these type of conversations rather than other clients or resellers.
  12. HardwareGuru

I am not just a reseller, i am also representing minix. There is a reason i am an admin on this forum. Also minix has holidays in china at the moment. This does not mean they dont do things but you can understand that they can not put as much effort in this forum but focus on firmware as a priority.. Note that some even work during there holidays as we speak. Wich i think is an exeptional effort for employees to make.
  13. Rslynn46

Rslynn46 Member

I agree information on this subject is spread over to many treads if your lucky you stumble across it. Make a thread called beta9 and make it a sticky simple. I myself try to read all the treads to keep up to date but I think this would stop the constant questions and allow the developers to do there jobs.
  14. HardwareGuru

15. cheesan

cheesan New Member

Greeting Sir,

I desperately need help. I just bought Minix Neo X8-H from Aliexpress. I'm very new to it. I'm neither computer nor internet savvy. Why bought it because I wanted to let my elderly parent who are coming to & about 90+ year old to watch chinese/hongkong movies apart from their routine of taking medication. I also intend to let the orphanage to watch cartoon/kid movies & saving enough money to buy one & donate to them this coming Xmas.
    I ask help from the seller but to no avail eg:-
    1) Operation manual so I can know how to install step by step all the listed apps?
    2) What is the very first thing to do in minix getting started. They said firmware - where to get & install step by step for beginner?
    3) Why movie picture lagging & freeze so often prone"cache need full to continue" how to solve it?
    4) 4K video player - how to go about using it step by step?
    So I need help & willing to send a token of gift for those kindhearted minix users for lending a helping hands.

a simple wish & hope all around - cheesan
  16. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

Please contact our technical support at: support@minix.com.hk - they will be able to answer these questions.

This is not the appropriate thread for these types of questions.
  17. Mavors

Mavors Member

Of course.

But with Minix that's not my real problem since they have issued some outputs about the release state.

The problem is that there are issues that turn the box very unstable and others that minimize it's functionality like the inability in writing in NTFS drives. As a programmer I know that I can root the box and install a third-party program to solve this issue or I can simply install one the Betas since this is solved in the early releases. But as a consumer I don't have to do this nor I have to waste time in doing it. If it was 15 years ago I would've done it as many other users in this forum.

In my opinion, based on what I've read, the main problems were identified and solved. There should have been a list of "bugs", "must have" and "nice to have". I believe that the issues with the 4K Player are a nice to have situation, since most of us don't have a 4K TV nor movies that play in that format, so if it was my project I would've release an early OTA to solve this basic issues that would turn our Box more usable and scalable to absorb the future patches.

That would've make the consumers happier and more patient for the next releases.
    I don't want an unfinished product... but the next OTA doesn't have to be the last, so I think they're putting to much effort in one release only, they could have split the patches in more than one release. I know that most of the problems were only solved with the new Amlogic SDK, but the ones that didn't rely on that (and I believe the NTFS issue and many others didn't needed a new SDK to work above) could have been solved in the 1st/2nd month with a stable release.

That annoys me, however I am most eager to try the new Firmware because I believe in the high potential of this machine.
  18. cheesan

cheesan New Member

Attention : To Minix

This is a first time I bought something without a copy of operation manual. The User Manual is little of help just getting around the hardware orientation as it is. Without opearation manual is like a car without a steering wheel. So go hunting in typical consumer fashion. Life is all about putting a fight. Minix Neo X8-H innovation maybe inching a mere striking perfection yet it succumbs thru' time as its parallel nemesis. All things are made in this way or else what truth is there being perfection. Constantly changing! I don't like forum is like feeling noose but where else can I go hunting for solution now they want me to email. It's bad to side-stepping my problem. Here we go again back to square ONE!

cheesan- Freedom needs to wait....
  19. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

It's a poor analogy, it's more like buying a car without well....a operating manual. If you had got the box without a remote then maybe it would be like a.car without a steering wheel, but an operating manual isn't needed for either to work

That being said if you have any specific questions on operating the box then post your questions here, but make sure they are specific. Questions like 'how does this work' are too vague.
    Have a look through the forum especially the guides sections for more info.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    oldbirchy and zarbman like this.
  20. zarbman

zarbman Active Member

I see many people complain that there are many applications that do not run well in the MINIX or have problems. And there are applications in Play Store that do not work or are wrong. I remind you that not all of these applications work well on all Android devices and is responzabilidad which made the application to correct these problems we must be users who request in their respective sites modification of these applications to work in our MINIX, such and as requested so they can function in our tablets, etc. With respect to many addons to XBMC running series or movies with stoppages this is not the fault of MINIX the server where they are watching the show or movie has traffic restrictions. With resoecto the audio and video codecs all devices are sat decoders, computers, etc., come with the most used codecs and there may be missing if we call attention to MINIX buy the license and can disponibilizarlos.

thanks and sorry for my English ...

A repair when we need to change the wifi password in our network in the MINIX NEO X8 see that does not accept them directly and although the change to give the button to save rejected the password says it can not connect and the previous or old password appears. To change the tube to go inside android and unbind the option of wifi then went back to activate and told me he could not connect erase my wifi network and I returned to see what had active and to point out mine put the new password and was the only way to accept it ...