1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Official Release NEO Z64 Android 20150930 firmware (update.zip)

Discussion in 'NEO Z64A Official Firmware Releases' started by MINIX - Ken, Oct 5, 2015.

1. AnouarJ

AnouarJ New Member

absolutely agree with the post above.. the z64 was presented as a flagship device.. and now it is totally forgotten yes forgotten.. where are the android (security and compatibility ) updates ??
    I had the x8h and chose to upgrade to a "better" box... now stranded with a lot of apps not being supported. so I decided to give this box to my 12 year old to play with .. got a nvidia shield .. for almost the same money .. I don't have to explain the quality difference... Let allone the support .. mashmallow .. kodi running like a beast
  2. midnight

midnight Active Member

Not sure what issues you are having with the current firmware ??My kids primarily use this device using Kodi with little to no issues , runs great ! It may appear the Z64 is forgotten but as always I am confident that Minix will support this device as they do to all there devices......unfortunately it just may not be as fast or as often as some may like.:)
  3. RaceJay

RaceJay New Member

I think that if this box is to be forsaken by the Minix staff, many people like myself, will start to ponder the possibility to change over to Windows 10...
  4. KingKong

KingKong Member

Finally sussed how to root this at last :) Some updates would be nice though. Also My new TVs ANYNET+ wont recognize the box.
  5. BrunoNRG

BrunoNRG New Member

Since the begining of this year I bought a nvidia shield tv, a minix z64 and an acemax kii (s812), in this exact order, for each of the tv's I have at home, their main purpose is to run kodi and play movies / tv shows (via network) from two local 4tb verbatim hard drives. All of them work well, no mater what I throw at them, except the z64 when it comes to x265 decoding...

I bought my Z64 3 months ago, only to find that it's already outdated... Probably this was already asked, because I don't believe that I'm the only one exeriencing this problem, but I couldn't find a thread related to this, will the Z64a ever support x265? I ask this because, at least on kodi, all video files, that are encoded with x265 codec, will run with lots of slowdowns / stutter, I already tested on all tv's I have at home and the same hapens on all of them...

Will Minix ever release a fix for this, or the z64 simply can't handle x265, heither by hardware or software decoding? Thanks in advance :)
  6. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Member

Actually, the Minix Team included a modified version of Kodi (15.1 x86) in their latest firmware update that can play hevc 265 files (go back to post #1 in the following link).

http://www.minixforum.com/index.php?threads/7250/

I'm currently using it and can say that I've had mixed results, with some H265 files playing smoothly while others were very jittery. I'm hoping that Minix can remedy this in their next update as the Z64A technically has the hardware capability to do so according to their posted specs.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    BrunoNRG likes this.
  7. BrunoNRG

BrunoNRG New Member

Thanks!

I uninstalled kodi 16.1, installed 15.1 and some x265 files now play better, others are the same as before, sound plays fine so, the problem is definetly in the video track decoding... The jitter is also noticeable when you browse (by pressing any d pad button) a x265 video file that "normally" plays well if you only press play and leave it.

Can this problem be related (besides x265 encoding) to the difference between 8bit and 10bit files, or the android version? I ask this because the acemax kii I bought was 3 times cheaper (only costed 50€uro with shipping) than the Z64, has lower hardware specs and, so far, plays all x265 video files I tested, with no slowdowns or jitter, but runs android 5.1...
  8. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Member

I've noticed the same problem when scanning through h.265 files as well. Audio continues playing but the video playback typically goes awry to the point that it becomes unwatchable.

You are probably right in that the problem seems to reflect limitations in decoding 8 bit vs 10 bit hevc files (I suspect the problem lies with the latter). From what I've seen on Minix' website, there is no additional info on this differentiation besides stating that the Z64A can decode hevc files.

Perhaps one of our esteemed members from the Minix team could shed some more light on the matter.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    BrunoNRG likes this.
  9. BrunoNRG

BrunoNRG New Member

From what I could test today, only 10bit x265 is unwatchable with Minix version of Kodi 15.1, if the file is 10bit, but encoded with x264 plays fine, it's still slower than other files when scanning (takes a few seconds to resume play), other than that it's ok.

Would be nice to see this fixed in the next update, last official firmware update has already been released 9 months ago. I don't want to sound ungrateful towards Minix but, even though x265 is only becoming more popular now, it's been available for almost 3 years, I think Minix had more than enough time to find a solution, they say there are issues in official Kodi, but one thing is certain, with the official latest version of Kodi installed on all 3 android boxes, only the Z64 has problems playing x265 10bit files...

I don't believe that the problem is related to the Intel soc either, because my wife has an Asus Zenfone 2 (different but still an Intel soc, 4gb ram) and x265 10bit files play fine in official Kodi.
    Apocalypso likes this.
  10. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Member

I fully agree. Many of the hosts that I access through various Kodi add-ons have much of their video content in h.265, which is understandable, given its clear advantages over h.264 (bandwidth usage being one). Now that this format is becoming more ubiquitous, and since the Z64A is actually advertised by Minix as being capable of handling this file type, I also think that a firmware update would be nice so that owners of these machines like us can actually make use of this capability.

Aside from this issue, the Z64A is an excellent product that has given me much enjoyment so far. That said, no consumer likes knowing that their product cannot perform certain functions that have otherwise been clearly specified by the manufacturer.

BrunoNRG likes this.
  11. bittvdoctor

bittvdoctor New Member

Right on bricked my box uposting via this bs. Now I got a bunch of screwing around to get things back. Thanks KEN minix z64a rocks
  12. midnight

midnight Active Member

Who bricked it ?? also thank him when you unbrick it ;) Minix does rock !!
  13. bittvdoctor

bittvdoctor New Member

That would be me. And it done it to 2 boxes not sure why yet but if these updates worked cause I don't have 6 hours to dick around with them to get them back yet. But the update sure didn't go smooth. Downloaded file onto usb installed into minix update local. Box rebooted and went into TWRP not sure why. I have installed TWRP trying to set up a way to clone my minix's which I can do manually but looking for an automatic way. Anyway box booted into TWRP and ya now its stuck in boot loop. I will recover it but these updates should be more frequent fixing these issues with these applications that keep screwing up such as NHL.TV not playing video SPORTSNETNOW not playing video pretty sure if you read this forum there would be lots more such as HULU etc etc. Either way I wish I bought 20 different boxes instead of MINIX Z64`s

As well as Automatic through OTA
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  14. Deadman INC.

Deadman INC. Member

It's been a year now...

Why o why no android updates ?

I know almost everything works... But I'm having issues with some video playback now for over a year.

Wwe network, plex and the local tv provider video streaming app...

There are no custom roms I know off...

Minix should give us at least an android 6 release...
  15. AnouarJ

AnouarJ New Member

Hey guys this is our new flagship device.. the Minix Z64 with OTA updates .. stops supporting the device after 3 months. Thank you Minix.
    Deadman INC. likes this.
  16. Deadman INC.

Deadman INC. Member

It's ridiculous