1. Official MINIX forum

NEO Z64 Windows 8.1 Video Review

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Windows 10/8.1' started by robertojorge, Feb 22, 2015.

1. robertojorge

robertojorge Member

Hi again guys, so after the review of the Android Version here´s the Windows 8.1 as promised.

Tests:

Benchmarks: ChristaldiskMark, GeekBench 3, 3D Mark Score and Unigine Valley.
    Productivity: Micorsoft Office word, excel, powerpoint and publisher + Adobe Photoshop CC.
    Games: Several + Beach Buggy and Asphalt 8 Airborne.
    Video: XBMC / KODI Windows version + Plex Server and Plex Theater Player.

Also at the end a few tips on how to get the device back to its original state.

Hope this clears some questions!! ;)

Spoiler Alert!! Great Machine :)

Hope you enjoy the video guys
    RJ
    mesutismail, MatVekk, Xilinx and 7 others like this.
  2. Snakebite

Snakebite Active Member

Hi Roberto - another great review!

One of my concerns is the 32GB size, whilst twice the size of the x8 h etc, most of us know Win8.1 has a much bigger footprint than android.

If we consider longterm use with updates/office/av software/xbmc databases etc do you feel we would be limited in future?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    robertojorge likes this.
  3. robertojorge

robertojorge Member

Hi Snakebite, thanks for the feedback!! Regarding the drive space to be honest i dont feel that limitation. Its true that after i installed everything i was left only with 2GB free but in a normal use i wouldn't need all that aps installed specially those heavy benchmarks like unigine valley and 3D mark. Also the games are a bit heavy on the storage side. So if you want to use it as a office productivity machine and also multimedia with XBMC my opinion is that its enough being that you can just get an inexpensive micro sd to save all your documents, pics etc.

Off course we all want more and more... :) but i feel that for what it stands for it has enough storage.
  4. Kfir

Kfir New Member

Hey Roberto, Can you please share which one of the versions (Android vs. Win) has smoother video playback and better quality for that matter?
    robertojorge likes this.
  5. Flash

Flash New Member

Hi Robert, may I check with you whether Z64W can be used with Epson AIO printer L210 to scan and print documents and photos into Microsoft Word ?

Thank you for your kind attention and help.

Regards,

Alan Ang
    robertojorge likes this.
  6. robertojorge

robertojorge Member

Hi Kfir, Regarding Android Vs Windows versions of the Z64 in Video Playback i see no differences . Both perform just great :) . Its just a matter of personal preference on the OS. In a few days ill be doing a video Z64 W vs Z64 Android Vs X8 H Plus cause im getting a lot of similar questions so hopefully i can help with some tips.
    Best
    RJ
    sangaz, Kfir and Kiryu like this.
  7. robertojorge

robertojorge Member

Hi Alan, i cant imagine one reason that it wouldnt work. Its a computer with windows 8.1 as long you have the drivers for the printer it will work. And its a really nice and affordable machine for office productivity as you may have seen in the video.

If you have a computer with windows 8.1 just try to connect that printer and see if it works. In my experience ive never seen a printer that didn't worked under Windows OS.

Hope it helps
    RJ
    Kfir and HardwareGuru like this.
  8. Flash

Flash New Member

Hi Robert, thanks for your reply to my query.

I intend to buy Z64W to use it as a replacement for my desktop computer (bought it many years ago, I use laptops for work and use minix neo x5 and x7, and tablets for entertainment. I did not buy neo x8 series because it does not support adobe flash ).

Thank you for the confirmation that Z64W can be used as a productivity computer with Microsoft Office and AIO printer. I will place my order for Z64W soon.

Regards.

Alan Ang
    robertojorge likes this.
  9. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Is it possible to install apps to an external HDD?
    robertojorge likes this.
  10. robertojorge

robertojorge Member

Hi Alan, i think that will be a nice improvement on your old PC, specially having in mind the small footprint, the responsiveness and obviously the price :)

Let us know what is your feedback once you have it running.

All the Best.
    RJ
  11. robertojorge

robertojorge Member

Hi Villa, great question. Havent tried but will do as soon as i can and let you guys know.
    RJ
    Villa likes this.
  12. Tim-APCR

Tim-APCR Member

Absolutely. I was testing an couple of external Western Digital hard drives, both a smaller Passport and a powered MyBook. Both worked great.

I tested a few different programs. On my main Windows desktop I have everything installed on a second hard drive so I can keep the boot drive fresh. I took the same approach with the N64.

Kodi is a small installation, so I installed it on the internal storage, but used the external storage to store the video files. On the other side of the coin, I installed Snagit (video capture software) completely on the external drive.

I wouldn't expect too much of a loss in speed moving from internal storage to external storage. Most Android boxes out right now will run the eMMC controller through the USB controller. So it'll be the same speed no matter which you choose. Not sure if that's the case with the Z64 though - I'll let HardwareGuru field that one.
    robertojorge, Villa and Higgs like this.
  13. robertojorge

robertojorge Member

Hi @Villa sorry for the late reply, also thanks @Tim-APCR for contributing to the post,

Just to confirm that i installed my Microsoft Office Suite in the Micro SD slot and works great !! :)

Best Regards
    RJ
    Tim-APCR and Villa like this.
  14. Auki

Auki New Member

Sweet! thanks for the review, answered a lot of half-questions I was thinking about!
  15. Villa

Thanks for that!

Another question..... Is it possible to boot from a USB flashdrive?
  16. Tim-APCR

Tim-APCR Member

@Villa Are you thinking for a recovery drive, or just for an alternate OS install?
    I found an option in the Settings app for "Update and Recovery." There's an option there to boot to a USB drive. It's also how you get into the BIOS.
  17. Villa

To run alternative OS!

Does anyone know if VirtualBox will run?
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  18. Biofx

Biofx New Member

Hi what a great review. I have only one question. In kodi does automatic frame rate changing is working?

The 24' movie really played at 24... ?

Ha no second question really the last, is it compatible with hdmi cec to Control it with tv remote?

I ordered mine and I can't wait to have it....

Thanks for your answer.

Ludo
  19. robertojorge

robertojorge Member

Hi Biox, tested last night and for what i can see everything plays at its own FPS. I tested a 24fps and a short clip of 60FPS and it seemed everything perfect.

Regarding the HDMI CEC i cant find that option. On the Android Version X8 H plus i have that option although i dont use it, but on the Z64 cant find it.

All the Best
    RJ
  20. Biofx

Biofx New Member

Thanks for your return. Its perfect for frame rate.

I think the hdmi cec pulse eight can be use to have cec capability. I use it with a xtreamer ultra and its works fine. And its compatible with Windows so...

So lets wait the Delivery ;)

Thanks Again.

Ludo.
    robertojorge likes this.