1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Neo Z64W doesn't start anymore after Windows 10 update [Help]

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Windows 10/8.1' started by asaf69, Sep 28, 2016.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

1.) You may buy the tools and fix it by yourself;
    2.) We can help you fix it, but you have to send it back at your own costs.
  2. FKA

FKA Active Member

I think that flashing will be a lot more easier than changing the chip. I did the flashing and even though I do not have any experience in that domain, I found it easy.
  3. frank514

frank514 New Member

Thanks FKA, I didn't know this was a possibility! Are the instructions listed anywhere?
  4. FKA

FKA Active Member

Yeah, there are somewhere in this thread.
    It's quite long now so I do not know exactly at which page.

Edit : I have a RAR archive containing everything that is needed to flash the device. I can share in PM. All you need to find by yourself is the flashing hardware. The required components are listed in this thread
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

6. frank514

frank514 New Member

7. MAS1

MAS1 Member

Not sure but ...don't you need a 3rd piece?
    A 1.8v adapter .?
  8. MarkCwee

MarkCwee Member

frank514 and MAS1 like this.
  9. Wiggity

Wiggity New Member

Ken, I was corresponding with you back in October and your colleague John Scutt told me he'd ship a new BIOS chip to me. Then I never received it. Then he stopped replying to any of my emails, ignored me. What's going on? My Minix is still dead. Are you willing to help me?
  10. Wiggity

Wiggity New Member

Does anyone know of a reliable site that has the reflashing tools in stock?
  11. MarkCwee

MarkCwee Member

aliexpress.com
    I bought it there. Three pieces, from two different stores, around 12$. Waited for the shipment 20-35 days...

You can search for the same gear on ebay, around 25€...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  12. MarkCwee

MarkCwee Member

bios chip + clip

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  13. MarkCwee

MarkCwee Member

after 4 minutes... Voila

Attached Files:

FKA likes this.
  14. Casey

Casey New Member

All I can say is PHEW... that the goddess I came here for a look-see.

I was just about to buy one of these.... after reading all of this and the other "no sound" threads... I've decided against it, steering well clear of this device now.

I had my doubts with it before now - the UK seller lists it as "dual band wifi"... reviews say single band as does the main Minis site - so there's an element of SCAM going on somewhere.
  15. MAS1

MAS1 Member

Lol huh ,...thanks for the 1 cent input , here is 25 cent and keep walking.

What a noob.

And on that happy note.... Merry Christmas to all ! :)(y)
  16. Casey

Casey New Member

Huh... I'm a noob becasue I don;t want to fart about re-flashing a bios chip?

I buy a media streamer.player.. wait for it... to play videos and stream shows.
    If i wanted to faff about i;d go back 40 years to my old TRS-80 and upgrade its chips again! Yes, I've been using computers for that long, and longer; my first modem was home built, about 7k per second; one of the first 500 or so to be online in Australia 35 odd years ago.... but no, I'm a noob becasue I don't like what you like, right?

This device seems to have many issues, just looking at this forum... and it's not worth mucking about with if any W10 update might kill the wifi or the sound or the whole machine!

Let me guess, Linux guy, eh? Those lot just LOVE recompiling a kernel just to add a specific ethernet adaptor (yes, i know... I've been there, done the recompiling myself, years ago)

I see it's the basic state now - any one who doesn't like what you like is either a noob or "doesn't understand".
  17. MAS1

MAS1 Member

You're a noob who just wants to troll in a wrong thread.
    Good luck with it. (y)
  18. Casey

Casey New Member

How is it trolling - I was thanking the posters for the head's up on problems this machine has; it helped me decide that it's not worth buying - luckily before I had actually committed to the buy.

I guess you think it's trolling to say it has problems... have you invested your self-worth in loving this device? any attack on the device becomes a personal attack on you? Grow up.
  19. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

I have had this device since it was released and have never had a single issue with it! :)(y)
    Well, no more than what Windows throws up on any PC! ;)o_O
  20. Casey

Casey New Member

But others have; just reading the threads here shows WIFI problems, ethrnet issues, sound, bios corruption, etc.

I espect your input (far more than the idiot's up there), but one good one doesn't wipe out the dozens of bad ones.

OK, granted, it's a windows 10 (W10 should not have been released in this early beta state!) issue, updates that fubar something, but it's still problems.