1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Netflix apk

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by MINIX - Ken, Sep 3, 2014.

1. bovrilla

bovrilla New Member

This one is Netflix's fault. I have to keep my AppleTV potato around to circumvent Netflix's miserable restrictions. Probably why a windows based HTPC would be better for now.
  2. Jodes

Jodes New Member

Hi bovrilla
    Not sure who you responding to but if it was to me I disagree. On Android Samsung tablet Netflix plays perfectly. No stutter and qty is fine. I don't need HD. Minix should play as well as any other android device surely?
  3. bovrilla

bovrilla New Member

It should. It doesn't. Netflix treats devices differently depending on whether it corresponds to whatever device ID they're looking at. A well known machine like the AppleTV, Roku, smart TVs etc get a nice time of it, but your average Android box gets a "generic" profile which usually locks to 480p and has bad transitions between different bandwidths. My Note 3 gets 720p on Netflix, my Minix Neo X8-H Plus gets 480p.

I was on 3.5 meg for a while and my old Imito MX2 android stick suffered the exact stop/start behavior whilst my PC did not. It's all about which has the better written software.

There is a conspiracy theory that states Netflix has to exclude as many machines as possible from HD to save themselves going bankrupt overnight, but I'll leave it to you to decide how true that is.
  4. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Nvidia shield HDMI output to Sony 55". (720p mode only)

latest APK: 3.11.0 (31st March 2015, yesterday's)
    looks OK on few inches but not good on 55".
    Lots of stutters, for those who have a shield you may test as well.

The same version plays absolutely better on our coming 004 firmware @ 1080p24Hz mode, I just compared.
  5. Roneng

Roneng New Member

looks amazing!
  6. MINIX - Ken

I think the latest 31st March version works better than the last version.
  7. jandk

jandk New Member

I also agree. The picture is not stuttering as much with the new Netflix app version.
    But it's still not good. Until it is solved i continue to use my PS4 as Netflix viewer.

/Jan
  8. MINIX - Ken

playback can't be perfect if they keep using the wrong OSD layer to output video for their Android app. only if they fix it by utilizing the video layer may make it good.
    KAR likes this.
  9. ngc1967

ngc1967 Member

I have no problem watching Netflix - the picture and sound was fine and I had no stuttering or buffering etc..

It is the Remote Controlling I have problems with!

I have the A2 Lite as well as the M1 Airmouse and with both remotes, I am unable to play, pause, ff, rw or stop easily.

I have to press the left or right cursor which in effect jumps back or forward 30 seconds but also brings up a bar on the bottom of the screen. From there I can press the centre 'OK' button and that pauses or plays the film.

This bar only stays up for 4-5 seconds and I don't really want to have to jump back 30 seconds everytime I want to pause or play.

Is there a way to 'keymap' the remote control buttons to work with Netflix in a similar way that you can do it for Kodi?
  10. djgrind

djgrind New Member

Hey I dont know if anyone ever helped you with this but I had the same issue (no one stepped up to give me ANY advice in this forum, ended up returning my box and went through 3 different brands until someone gave me a truthful answer). And ill tell you what the actual issue is
    This is the exact quote:
    "We have just tested the Netflix app and we do notice some slight audio sync issues with the audio being a bit off and also not playing at full 1080P qaulity. This is due to the Netflix application not being optimized for Amlogic processors. We wouldn't have any ability to do any tweaks on the app as Netflix would most likely have to optimize their apk for the unit. We are sorry for the inconvenience"
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  11. MINIX - Ken

1.)
    It has nothing to do with "optimization".
    As long as this Netflix app uses the "OSD layer" to stream videos, it can't be smooth,
    because this layer provides no info for video/audio sync.
    To prove this point, we've done an experiment:
    Forcing a 100% smooth 23.976fps video to play from the OSD layer,
    and the result was quite bad...
    If this app fixes its mistake, and follow the standard way, then playback could be 100% smooth.
    OSD layer is not designed to stream videos, it's for menu use, cursor use, etc..
    There is a proper video layer, but they don't use it (don't ask me why).
    We also tried to HDMI out the screen from a Tegra 4 NVIDIA Shield to a 55" TV,
    and the playback is TERRIBLE.
    On the Shield it looks fine because it's only a few inches screen.

We analyzed the app and are certain about this fact, how about the "expert" you mentioned about?

2.)
    1080p is only available on some of the "approved" devices that Netflix chosen to support.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix_compatible_devices

3.)
    Setting different video output modes on different TVs greatly affect the picture smoothness of this app. e.g. SONY does better than LG.

This topic is endless unless they fixed the layer issue:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/32srs7/not_able_to_get_smooth_playback_on_netflix/

P.S. potential advertising message removed.
    flywheel, Gopichand Pai and KAR like this.
  12. djgrind

djgrind New Member

Ok, im not going to argue your point of view since you have done tests and seem to know what you are talking about but if this is the case how come I couldn't run my directv app either? As soon as it would reach HD quality it would lag/stutter and nothing I could do about it. All my research seems to have pointed to amlogic processors again. AFTV has different processors and runs directv app perfect, no problem on that. Can you tell me if either of these run without issues on z64 windows box?
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  13. MINIX - Ken

what is DirecTV app?
    you may create a new thread about that.
  14. djgrind

djgrind New Member

Its an android application to play your directv subscription via they app.
  15. MINIX - Ken

Mind pointing me to the play store link of it? I still don't know which app are you talking about...
  16. djgrind

djgrind New Member

17. MINIX - Ken

18. djgrind

djgrind New Member

Oh thats ok, like i said i ended up returning my box. Maybe looking at the z64 windows IF its plays these 2 apps without problems.
  19. MINIX - Ken

You mentioned that you have the AFTV, don't you?
    That should be fine, you don't need another one.
    AFTV meets your needs exactly. You should keep it.
  20. djgrind

djgrind New Member

No I dont have a AFTV, A friend in the states does. Im in canada, there are a few issues with AFTV here unfortunately.