1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Netflix App Won't Load

Discussion in 'NEO G4' started by Jamie Edwards, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards New Member

Hi Guys,
    I recently bought a G4 mostly so I could watch Netflix and to also use XBMC. I have installed the Netflix app, but I cannot get it to work. It usually takes about 5 minutes for the app to load, and when it does I will not load any videos? Anyone got any solutions or is this just my device that is perhaps faulty?

Thanks,
    Jamie
    TDminisound likes this.
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

what's your firmware version and what's the Netflix app version?
  3. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards New Member

I am running firmware 3.0.36+ (Android 4.2.2). The Netflix app version is 3.7.1. build 1711
  4. traxdata

traxdata Retired Super Mod Moderator

I use version 3.51 build 1566 and this works perfect on the X5 for instance. I see two versions on play store, 27th June 2014 and 7th August 2014. But it does not say which version the 7th August release is. But I guess mine is the 7th August release. But it does say version varies with device which means they may distribute different versions to different devices.
  5. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards New Member

Yeah not sure how I can install an older version. Regardless, if it doesn't work then maybe something is wrong. I am thinking of taking the G4 back to the store I bought it from and asking for a refund, it has great potential, but not being able to use netflix really defeats the purpose of it. There are several other issues, but this is a biggie.
  6. KAR

KAR Developer Super Moderator

Hi Jamie,

This is a known issue with JB 4.2.2, when you go back to 4.1.1 you will not have this issue. Or you might want to try:

108A : http://xbmc.hardwareguru.nl/v5/GuruG4_108A_HLS_v5-2.zip (updated)
    108C : http://xbmc.hardwareguru.nl/v5/GuruG4_108C_HLS_v5-2.zip (updated)

Have Fun!KAR
  7. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards New Member

Hmm, when I first got the machine I had to update to JB 4.2.2 because videos were unwatchable they were so choppy, also the wifi signal was very weak. So with not being able to watch movies or do anything on the internet the machine was completely useless. Now at least I can watch mkv, mpg, avi, etc movies via the video player, but it sure would be nice to be able to watch netflix on it too. It's a shame it's so much work to get this thing to work to even get it to this point. I'll check out those links you posted KAR thanks very much!
  8. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards New Member

Minix - Ken, any suggestions what I can do to get Netflix working?
  9. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards New Member

Any suggestions from Minix here? This box is kinda useless if I can't get Netflix to work.
  10. KAR

Hi Jamie,

What about the fw links i have posted ?

Thx Kar
  11. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

Netflix's works on firmware NEO G4 6th FW Release (0730) its probable the best firmware for the G4 with a little tweaking, it can be found here...

Code:
    http://www.minix.com.hk/Support_2.htm
    PabloAR likes this.
  12. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards New Member

Hi Kar, to be honest, I am not sure I trust a third party firmware. Last time I tried a 3rd party firmware someone hacked my google play account and also stole a bunch of money from my PayPal account.

Thanks Quincy, I'm not totally sure but I think that was the firmware that my G4 came with, it didn't work well for me at all, the video playback was so choppy I couldn't watch movies, also the wifi signals were super low. Apparently the latest FW fixed those issues, but now Netflix doesn't work :(

This is certainly not a take it out of the box and it works device, quite disappointing really.
  13. KAR

Hi Jamie,

To bad to hear. But 100% sure this ROMS can be trusted as I know the person who created them.
    But is if you cannot install then please use: NEO G4 6th FW Release (0730) (NEO_G4_108C_20130730) I have used it myself and it is very stable for netflic and xbmc use.

To discuss further you can also send me a private message.

Regards,
    KAR
  14. PabloAR

PabloAR New Member

Hola a todos
    Yo tengo un NEO G4 4.2.2 con FW 108C 005 FW (20140530) y esta funcionado con Netflix The Netflix app version is 3.7.1. build 1711.
    1 - Primero hay que rootear el dongle TPSarky-VonDroid-Root_new

2- Luego hay que instalar la ultima version stable de xposed 2.6.1

3- Instalar el modulo para xposed para netflix

De todas maneras recomiendo quedarse con NEO G4 6th FW Release (0730) (NEO_G4_108C_20130730) me parece mas estable y Neflix funciona sin problemas.

La mejora con 4.2.2 es que podes rebootear el dongle. con 4.1.1 luego del reboot no funciona Wifi.

Con 4.2.2 sin querer toque rotate screen y tuve que resetear el dongle ya que no tuve manera de arreglarlo.

Espero poder ayudar. Saludos
  15. KAR

English please ..

Thx kar
  16. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

Hello everyone
    I have a G4 NEO with 4.2.2 FW 005 FW 108C (20,140,530) and this worked with Netflix The Netflix app version is 3.7.1. 1711 build.
    1 - First you have to root the dongle TPSarky-VonDroid-Root_new

2 Then you need to install the latest stable version of 2.6.1 xposed

3 Install the module to xposed to netflix

Anyway I recommend staying with NEO G4 FW 6th Release (0730) (NEO_G4_108C_20130730) seems more stable and Neflix runs smoothly.

4.2.2 The improvement is that you can reboot the dongle. after reboot with 4.1.1 Wifi not working.

With 4.2.2 inadvertently rotate touch screen and I had to reset the dongle as I had no way to fix it.

I hope to help. greetings
  17. KAR

Why not use the 4.1.1 version which to my opinion is still the best for the G4?

Thx kar
  18. PabloAR

PabloAR New Member

Thank you Quincy for the translate.

Sometimes, you install new software waiting for new features ...
    Sometimes it's good to stay with known bugs.
  19. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

The firmware KAR posted you can trust, they are build by me personaly and the downloads are directly from my servers so they are original and cant been altered in any way.
    Just so you know its not a strange firmware release by some unknown person :D
  20. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

4.2.2 was never great on my g4 it had a lot of problems on all versions 4.2.2. The best ROM was the last 4.1.1 but I had to root and install tricker and clock the CPU to 816/1200 MHz to get the best out of it plus a lot more apps work on 4.1 than 4.2 like Netflix for some reason....

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk