1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Networking Performance Question

Discussion in 'NGC-1' started by Stew2673, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Stew2673

Stew2673 New Member

Just wonder about networking performace when connected to the internet using a ethernet connection (data cable). I have a 1Gbps connection down with 100Mbps up. When using a wired connection the best performace I can get is about 250Mbps download. The network card in the NGC-1 is a giga bit card. Is performance limited because of the ram or prcessor speed? Anyone else with speed issues while downloading from the internet? Thanks for any info that can be provided.
  2. dryster

dryster Active Member

Interesting question, I will add what I know which may not answer it.

The performance benchmark will also be limited by the read/write speed of the internal memory of the NGC-1 and of course, even though your ISP states that you have a 1Gbps connection, achieving that usually does not happen, especially when downloading can come from various hubs dotted about the planet. I like that 250Mbps though, wish my connection was that fast!
  3. Stew2673

Stew2673 New Member

Thanks for the response. Is there anything in the network setting that will help?
    Such as adjusting jumbo frames.....
    Tried a few things with no noticable change.
    Going to upgrade ram from 4 to 8 to see if that has any effect.
    When using a VPN my speed number drops to between 20 and 30 Mbps on a good day.
    So tryinh to max out the speed as best possible.
  4. Stew2673

Stew2673 New Member

Is anyone else having networking issues????? I have the NGC-1 connected to my network by Cat6 data cable. I have a 1 Gig connection over fiber in Ontario Canada. Just was downloading Unbuntu which is about 1.4g in size. Likely took over 20 minutes to download. The windows download screen was saying 1400 Kbps roughly. Thought I would play with my phone and download the same file. The phone is a Blackberry Dtek60 connected by wifi to my home network and the file finished at lest 10 minutes sooner then the wired connection. I the network card in the NGC-1 that bad or is there something that anybody has done to improve the speed. Been having this same issue while tryiung to HD shows and the network just can not get it fast enough while my phone can. Any help?? Stew